Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,912,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Out at work: Yes
Talk openly: Yes
Coworkers: Some are gay, not all
N. Dallas: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Absolutely true! Native Dallas folks were so nice and respectful to me even if they were southern baptists.

When I met people in Texas that came from other states or tiny hick towns they were complete prejudice a-holes that needed to learn some "lessons" about life.
This is sad and kind of funny. Some friends have a neighbor that is a real nice guy but just very shy. I've ran into him at their house for parties and such and see him around town (mostly at the gym). Someone will ask him about a recent girlfriend and he will say "it didn't work out". After he is gone if the subject comes back up it is usually, "DUDE! Your GAY. Find a BOYFRIEND not a girlfriend". Seems like a super sweet guy and has his life "together" except in that area. So here there are out in the Northern burbs some SOUTHERN BAPTISTS that are LITERALLY trying to hook this guy up WITH A BOYFRIEND! With the spring/summer get togethers getting back into full swing I've already been asked to invite a good friend of mine that is gay and available so MAYBE they can meet.

Yep, we have a real fear of gays. So much so we are literally setting them up with each other. LOL!!! Talk about an "intervention". The Southern Baptist burbites are TRYING to get this one person to "come out" to himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,980,808 times
I think you and your circle of friends are just very nice people.

I've met some really rude a-holes goading for others to hate me and sometimes it worked, however, like I said those people were from small hick towns or from other states thinking they can get away with it. Hopefully, Karma catches up to them soon and ruins them.

I've also met some really rude gay people that do the same manipulative things but I'm not sure what areas of the state they came from, they bring their negative and dark energy everywhere they go and create chaos for people that are comfortable and cool with themselves. Bitter people will do such things, and young gay men have things to be bitter about considering they contract AIDS and other infections quicker than anybody else.

You can move to any state but you just have to be careful with what circles of people you are thrown into or engage with.

Once I went to a church full of younger people and the people would just roll their eyes at me and turn their nose up at me, make bored faces at me, make flippant remarks, etc. Yep, it was like dealing with stupid bitter toddlers instead of college age adults.

Another church was extremely friendly and active in getting me involved with them. So go figure. It depends what circles you happen to run into.

However, back then I just used church as a way to meet people since that is a huge social system for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
This is sad and kind of funny. Some friends have a neighbor that is a real nice guy but just very shy. I've ran into him at their house for parties and such and see him around town (mostly at the gym). Someone will ask him about a recent girlfriend and he will say "it didn't work out". After he is gone if the subject comes back up it is usually, "DUDE! Your GAY. Find a BOYFRIEND not a girlfriend". Seems like a super sweet guy and has his life "together" except in that area. So here there are out in the Northern burbs some SOUTHERN BAPTISTS that are LITERALLY trying to hook this guy up WITH A BOYFRIEND! With the spring/summer get togethers getting back into full swing I've already been asked to invite a good friend of mine that is gay and available so MAYBE they can meet.

Yep, we have a real fear of gays. So much so we are literally setting them up with each other. LOL!!! Talk about an "intervention". The Southern Baptist burbites are TRYING to get this one person to "come out" to himself.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-01-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 03:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
azriverfan is right. I lived in dallas from 1988-1990 and experienced what he was talking about. I also experienced racism from some of the anglo gays back then. some ppl would openly comment about the f*gs. I did not hear any of that talk nor experience as much racism when I moved to southern california. .
That's so funny, b/c the years I lived in southern cali 1985-89 were the only ones in my life that I faced racial discrimination. Then I moved to Texas and haven't had a day of it. Maybe someone is thinking it, but they sure are polite enough to keep their mouths shut about it here.

Any small town in any state is likely to be not welcoming to gay people. And vice versa on big towns. BFD.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:01 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,018,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's so funny, b/c the years I lived in southern cali 1985-89 were the only ones in my life that I faced racial discrimination. Then I moved to Texas and haven't had a day of it. Maybe someone is thinking it, but they sure are polite enough to keep their mouths shut about it here.

Any small town in any state is likely to be not welcoming to gay people. And vice versa on big towns. BFD.

Really, like what? My "racial" situation seems silly to me now, but made me furious back then. I was at JR's when my boyfriend introduced to some of the locals. My last name is Cruz. When I introduced myself to one of the locals, he asked me, "oh, like Tom Cruise?". Then his friends started snickering and then laughing. I caught up with them at the next bar over (hartford's i think) and chewed them out. They swore that their friend was the "nicest guy in the world". I told them "well, if you're 100% white, he probably is." I never felt the same way about dallas after that experience combined with all of the other things that I would hear. After that, a white guy was looking at me at a club. I asked him "what the hell was he looking at?". It turns out that he thought I was cute. The joke was on me. He & I hung out that night.

There was also another situation where a security guard at those Lovers' Lane/Southwestern apts was following me on horseback when I was looking for my friend's party in that complex. He asked me where I was going, etc. as in "What the hell is a meskin doin here?". Then I dated this guy(an apartment leasing consultant) who told me that they would discourage blacks from renting in their complex and would refer them to a "sister" complex. They didn't wnat the complex to become "too dark". His co-workers were SHOCKED that he was dating a "mexican". They didn't distinguish betw a mexican and mexican american, i guess. There were lots of other comments too, too many to mention.

A San Diego friend who moved to D from Calif observed that D was a racist place that was governed by an "invisible hand" that said that racism is OK and that nobody should speak out against it. That seemed to be an accurate statement of what I saw. Shortly after that , I moved to Calif which really liberated me and helped me to speak up when I saw something wrong. That damn "invisible hand" would keep me silent in texas.

The racism that I observed in So Cal was mostly directed at illegals. I felt that Calif ppl were more "live and let live".

Last edited by wehotex; 04-01-2009 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 05:04 PM

Aren't you in San Antonio, Texas??? Not in California anymore. How is that going for you, since Texas was pretty racist for you?

Quote:
Really, like what? My "racial" situation seems silly to me now, but made me furious back then. I was at JR's when my boyfriend introduced to some of the locals. My last name is Cruz. When I introduced myself to one of the locals, he asked me, "oh, like Tom Cruise?". Then his friends started snickering and then laughing. I caught up with them at the next bar over (hartford's i think) and chewed them out. They swore that their friend was the "nicest guy in the world". I told them "well, if you're 100% white, he probably is." I never felt the same way about dallas after that experience combined with all of the other things that I would hear. After that, a white guy was looking at me at a club. I asked him "what the hell was he looking at?". It turns out that he thought I was cute. The joke was on me. He & I hung out that night. A San Diego friend who moved to D from Calif observed that D was a racist place that was governed by an "invisible hand" that said that racism is OK and that nobody should speak out against it. That seemed to be an accurate statement of what I saw. Shortly after that , I moved to Calif which really liberated me and helped me to speak up when I saw something wrong. That damn "invisible hand" would keep me silent in texas.

The racism that I observed in So Cal was mostly directed at illegals. I felt that Calif ppl were more "live and let live".

Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Aren't you in San Antonio, Texas??? Not in California anymore. How is that going for you, since Texas was pretty racist for you?

San Antonio has not been such a pleasant gay experience. It really has no gay ghetto and the nightlife is not anything like Dallas. Being Mexican American over here is not the obstacle that it probably is in the ol south Dallas plantation. We are a majority over here, which feels funny to me. although, i know that there are some circles where it may not be that way. but there are some very prominent mexican americans who have made marks here in the city which is something to be very proud of. I like texas b/c my entire family is here and it's cheap mainly. But I still want to return to calif once all of the illegals are expelled

Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Like Texas doesn't have illegals??

How can you live in Cali if it costs so much?

Quote:
San Antonio has not been such a pleasant gay experience. It really has no gay ghetto and the nightlife is not anything like Dallas. Being Mexican American over here is not the obstacle that it probably is in the ol south Dallas plantation. We are a majority over here, which feels funny to me. although, i know that there are some circles where it may not be that way. but there are some very prominent mexican americans who have made marks here in the city which is something to be very proud of. I like texas b/c my entire family is here and it's cheap mainly. But I still want to return to calif once all of the illegals are expelled

Old 04-01-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Like Texas doesn't have illegals??

How can you live in Cali if it costs so much?
Texas (at least SA) does NOT have as many illegals as so cal. I know that you might think that it's not the case. In so cal, you cannot go to a fast food place, car wash, convenience store without being served by an immigrant that you cannot understand. Over here, all of those places are manned by american kids and americans for the most part. You also don't have the "day laborers" hanging outside the lowes or home depot over here like there. They crowd ALL of the public parks. They are literally EVERYWHERE, except the whitest areas. Trust me, you do not have a lot of illegals here. It's hard to live in calif on one income if you didn't buy your home before 1996. It's a hard life to afford the "american dream" out there.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:04 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,514,363 times
Texas (at least SA) does NOT have as many illegals as so cal. I know that you might think that it's not the case. In so cal, you cannot go to a fast food place, car wash, convenience store without being served by an immigrant that you cannot understand. Over here, all of those places are manned by american kids and americans for the most part. You also don't have the "day laborers" hanging outside the lowes or home depot over here like there. They crowd ALL of the public parks. They are literally EVERYWHERE, except the whitest areas.>>

Yep, So Cal has the highest numbers of illegal immigrants with Texas coming in second. I don't know how it is in SA (I've visited a few times in the last several years, just didn't notice), but when was the last time you were in Dallas? We have the day laborors at Lowes, etc...everything you described. It's so weird because I graduated in 1984, went off to college up north, spent another 8 years on the East Coast and came back here in 1997 and I didn't recognize Dallas! I remember lots of Hispanic (Mexican) influence in Dallas growing up...neighborhoods, hearing some Spanish spoken by Mexican-Americans, but this was totally different. Like you describe, I remember the fast food jobs, etc...as being American teenager type jobs, that's not the case now. There was some news a few years ago that something like 70% a babies born at Parkland (Dallas) were born to illegal aliens.
Of course I don't go around asking everyone their status and certainly not based on their skin tone, but I'd venture to say that Dallas may have one of highest numbers of illegal immigrants in Texas due to the fact that there is lots of work here, probably Houston too. Someone told me, and I have no idea if he's correct, that Austin is like how you describe SA, not a lot of illegal immigrants at all.
Oh, and back on topic...I still say that Dallas is gay-friendly!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,514,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

You sure you're not just setting him up so you can bash him with your 500 lb Bible while singing Onward Christian Soldiers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas