Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 07:35 PM

16 posts, read 40,297 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Dallas and will be working at a Downtown Dallas medical center (or do you guys call it uptown?)....Anyhow I was pretty set on buying a home as opposed to renting, but I've quickly found out that Dallas is enormous compared to Kansas City, Missouri and it is wiser for me to rent vs buy, thus I'm looking for good apts (preferably townhomes) to rent and came across Oaks of Collin Creek. I haven't made a physical visit yet, but the pictures I find on the internet do not do it justice. ANy opinions of the place....Also what about The Oaks at Park Boulevard?? It's located in Grapevine....that's close to Plano correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:57 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
If your gonna work near downtown why not live downtown. How much do you want to pay for rent, do you have kids and are they of school age. Do you want a urban or surburban lifestyle. Need more questions answered from you.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 PM

Hello, Thank you for responding. Yes I do have children. They are 11, 7 and 3 years of age....so a good school district is a must. I thought about living downtown, but alot of post that I read stated that downtown is a great area for young, single people who love the social scene, although I am young (30 to be exact) and I do love the social scene, I love the comfort and safety of a more family oriented neighborhood. Now if downtown can offer that in the form of a 3bd for around 1300/month for a apt or preferbly a townhome, I would love it. Any suggestions??

Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purposed View Post
I'm relocating to Dallas and will be working at a Downtown Dallas medical center (or do you guys call it uptown?)....Anyhow I was pretty set on buying a home as opposed to renting, but I've quickly found out that Dallas is enormous compared to Kansas City, Missouri and it is wiser for me to rent vs buy, thus I'm looking for good apts (preferably townhomes) to rent and came across Oaks of Collin Creek. I haven't made a physical visit yet, but the pictures I find on the internet do not do it justice. ANy opinions of the place....Also what about The Oaks at Park Boulevard?? It's located in Grapevine....that's close to Plano correct?
Here's some opinions:

Opinion of Oaks Of Collin Creek posted :

Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 PM

126 posts, read 454,209 times
Another option would be to look at Richardson. I just did a quick search on my favorite realtor's website and found a very nice 3-bedroom house for rent for $975. Richardson has a great school district. If you're working in downtown itself, you can ride DART to work. If you need to drive, Richardson is closer to the downtown area then Plano.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Have you thought about renting a house? You could rent a house in the Plano school district somewhere along the Dallas NorthTollway and that can be your commuting highway (I would say "freeway" but it's not free!). Pick a house within the attendance zone of Plano West Sr. High.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Depending on your work hours you may want to consider moving a little closer to town. If you have the kids in daycare it may be a hassle to get them pick up in time everyday. You certainly don't want to live downtown with kids. The Richardson suggestion is a good one that you may want to explore.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:27 PM

134 posts, read 516,742 times
Do NOT move to the Oaks of Collin Creek! I went there once with a friend to look and it is the creepiest place I've toured. While we were looking, this one lady was taking her trash out and she saw us on the golf cart with the leasing agent and started shaking her head and mouthing, "No! Don't do it!"

The model apartment was so gross. The upstairs floor was so bouncy, it was almost like a trampoline. There were water stains on the ceiling. We saw two kids practically getting it on over the hood of a car IN BROAD DAYLIGHT.

I am not one to trash a place just because. But just based on my first hand experiences with this place...you can find better! Don't move your kids there, please!

ETA: Sometimes a place called Mission Gate at Ohio and 121 in Plano runs specials. They have a really, really nice townhouse that's 3 bed, 2.5 bath that I know was on special once for $1310. That came with a two car garage. It's really expensive if it's not on special, but it can't hurt to look. And no- I am not affiliated with any rental companies. I don't even live in Dallas anymore! I just lived in apartments there for 10 years! Also, there are some townhouses off of Parker and St. Charles in Plano. The Reserve at Charles Place. They were nice when we toured them a few years ago.

Last edited by TXLara; 01-16-2009 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Oh, yeah

Old 01-19-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLara View Post
Do NOT move to the Oaks of Collin Creek! I went there once with a friend to look and it is the creepiest place I've toured. While we were looking, this one lady was taking her trash out and she saw us on the golf cart with the leasing agent and started shaking her head and mouthing, "No! Don't do it!"

The model apartment was so gross. The upstairs floor was so bouncy, it was almost like a trampoline. There were water stains on the ceiling. We saw two kids practically getting it on over the hood of a car IN BROAD DAYLIGHT.

I am not one to trash a place just because. But just based on my first hand experiences with this place...you can find better! Don't move your kids there, please!

ETA: Sometimes a place called Mission Gate at Ohio and 121 in Plano runs specials. They have a really, really nice townhouse that's 3 bed, 2.5 bath that I know was on special once for $1310. That came with a two car garage. It's really expensive if it's not on special, but it can't hurt to look. And no- I am not affiliated with any rental companies. I don't even live in Dallas anymore! I just lived in apartments there for 10 years! Also, there are some townhouses off of Parker and St. Charles in Plano. The Reserve at Charles Place. They were nice when we toured them a few years ago.
Thank you very much for your input!!!! I will not waste my time visiting this place. I will definitley take a look at the reserve!

Old 01-20-2009, 03:11 AM

134 posts, read 516,742 times
I hope it works out for you. I also hope they haven't gotten creepy or expensive in the last few years or I'll feel awful sending you to them! Let me know how it goes! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas