Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 16,395 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I will be moving to McKinney, Tx. from San Antonio....I am interested in knowing more about McKinney...my daughter has special needs....I am wanting to know if McKinney would be a good place to move to....schools....outdoor activities....programs...hospitals....Want to know if McKinney is a place where I could raise my daughter and get everything she needs as well....I have heard a lot of wonderful things about McKinney, but need to know if it works for children with special needs....Thanks

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-30-2008 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: new topic requires new thread which has been opened for you here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 AM

50 posts, read 158,426 times
Most school districts will have a department set up to handle special needs children. Contact the school district and ask to speak to the director of the department.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 AM

113 posts, read 392,886 times
McKinney is a very nice place to live. I lived in McKinney years ago before they even had a West side. I grow up in Allen when Juipter was a gravel road and you either went to Mckinney or Plano. KcKinney has some really nice homes at good prices and is really safe from what I have heard. I myself have a son with speical needs and we moved from Lewisville out to Northlake so he could go to a school out here. Plus I dont like living in a city that is so crowed. I like the small towns. Far as things to do. Mckinney has a lot and Allen has some of the best. Far as hosptial I would stick to downtown Baylor. My wife drives over an hour to work there. It has everything you will need plus more. There is one in hosptial in Allen that is good but there not really big like downtown Baylor.

So Yes you daughter will get the care she needs in Mckinney

Old 12-30-2008, 12:48 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
What kind of special services does your child need? There is not a Children's Hospital in McKinney. The closest one is in Northwest Plano. If you need free orthopedic or learning disability services that is at Scottish Rite Children's Hospital near downtown Dallas. If you are talking medical needs, you don't want to get too far away from Dallas.

I have never heard anything pro or con about McKinney ISD's special ed program (I have a special needs child who attends private school). I have heard good things about Plano and Lewisville school districts as far as special needs kids.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 PM

269 posts, read 913,575 times
McKinney has a very weak chat board, however neighboring Frisco ...Frisco Online has a great one with many people in the McKinney school district. I would highly recommend going there to get some input on schools. My children went and I loved it, but I heard mixed reviews on their ability to handle special needs. I do have many friends with kids with special needs in that area due to working with Special Olympics.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:40 PM

436 posts, read 1,613,637 times
mckinney is a nice town, but if you plan on putting your duaghter in public school, be warned that the school closest to your home might not be where she would attend school. mckinney buses kids around so that the econimic mix of the schools will be similar to increase overall district performance. so, in short, you daughter might be bused half an hour away, a challenge in itself even without special needs.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Thank you all so much for the information.....My daughter has Cerbral Palsy...Autism...and Turner's Syndrome....I know I am looking to work with a school district...so hopefully the school I work in has an ALE program so that she can attend the same school....easier for me...given that I am single and it is just her and I.....I am also looking for therapy centers(home health...etc)...ABA...Speech...Occupational....Phy sical...Hippo therapy....aquatic therapy...and a really good pediatrician....

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM

587 posts, read 1,624,784 times
They just built an adjunct to Dallas Children's in Plano, on Legacy Drive. I imagine it would have all of the services that you are looking for. Here is the link.Legacy. I don't know much about McKinney schools, but Lewisville ISD is known to have good special ed services. Best of Luck in making a great choice and in your move!

Old 01-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Thanks....for the info Ren.....Greatly appreciate it....It is a very big move for me and my daughter....but I am up for the challenge and experience....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas