Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 06:09 AM

150 posts, read 857,911 times

Advertisements

Considering the recent fiasco in DISD with the teacher layoffs/retirements/rehire situation, are there many open teaching positions in the area? I have friends in the teaching field and have been told there is a lot of competion for jobs in the Collin county area. This was the case even before the DISD layoffs. I had one friend who got a foot in the door doing substitute teaching but even after 2 years of that, he still wasn't offered a full time position. Even with the population exploding and new schools being built, finding a job in the Collin County area might not be as easy as it sounds like it should. Maybe it's the required credentials or just the particular subject/age group?

I'm not trying to paint a negative picture but if the OP is moving here with thoughts of picking up a job easily, that might not be the case. I don't know, just putting that question out there. Are there plenty of teaching jobs around and would you have a pick of jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaToby View Post
Allen is growing so fast, its independent school district has gone to all year schooling, as others have. They can't build schools fast enough. Are you getting the picture?
I have not heard of these schools going to all year schooling. When did that happen? Their calendar this year seems the same as always.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM

21 posts, read 66,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneydeb View Post
Considering the recent fiasco in DISD with the teacher layoffs/retirements/rehire situation, are there many open teaching positions in the area? I have friends in the teaching field and have been told there is a lot of competion for jobs in the Collin county area. This was the case even before the DISD layoffs. I had one friend who got a foot in the door doing substitute teaching but even after 2 years of that, he still wasn't offered a full time position. Even with the population exploding and new schools being built, finding a job in the Collin County area might not be as easy as it sounds like it should. Maybe it's the required credentials or just the particular subject/age group?

I'm not trying to paint a negative picture but if the OP is moving here with thoughts of picking up a job easily, that might not be the case. I don't know, just putting that question out there. Are there plenty of teaching jobs around and would you have a pick of jobs?
IDK about the teaching field, but I do have friends who recently moved to Dallas and Houston. One who moved to Dallas lives in Plano & used to be a teacher here in Michigan at a charter school but now she's an accountant. I'm thinking they have a lot of charter and private schools in Dallas-Ft. worth areas since there is a population boom. Many people don't like teaching at alternative schools because they usually pay less. I'm just trying to get a good feel of what area I would like to move to and teach in since I have about a year to decide.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:24 PM

45 posts, read 126,011 times
Default Moving to Big D

If you want a small town feel not too far from Dallas then consider Murphy and/or Wylie
Good schools and close to big city etc...

Good luck

Old 11-10-2008, 04:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaToby View Post
Allen is growing so fast, its independent school district has gone to all year schooling, as others have. They can't build schools fast enough. Are you getting the picture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I have not heard of these schools going to all year schooling. When did that happen? Their calendar this year seems the same as always.
They haven't. No ISD in ALL of the DFW area has "all year schooling". The Dallas ISD tried it several years ago but it failed and they went back to the traditional school year.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,389 times
Denton is really growing and has opened new schools each year for the past several years. So, job prospects are good there. However, not the "one school" atmosphere. Of course, the sleepy little town of Krum only has one high school and is a 10 minute commute to Denton.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 AM

212 posts, read 459,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
You will have to look quite a few miles outside of Dallas to find a one-school town, esp. one considered 'quaint.' However, you might want to consider such towns as Van Alstyne, Howe, Whitewright, Trenton....all are small towns with above-average ratings for their school districts. And you can be in the North Dallas suburbs to all the shopping/entertainment you'd ever need in less than half an hour. In all of them, the school is the heart of the community and there is a great deal of opportunity for participation in all activities for students and the atmosphere is very safe and welcoming to newcomers. They don't pay as well as Plano, etc but the living expenses there are much less.
Try Allen. One high school and an awesome community.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
frankly--getting hired as a teacher will be difficult to do in a smaller town
most teachers there are really tied to the communities and there is little turn over--job growth happens because the town grows and adds classes...
did you read about all the teachers that Dallas ISD fired after the semester started this year--
there are lots of teachers looking for jobs
search this board and the FTW board or TX board in general for teaching jobs and see how many hits you get...
wish you luck
be aware that here most teaching vacancies actually are known about in spring--but sometimes are not really posted for a month or so and by then the principal might have an idea of whom he wants to hire...
all ISDs make you do an on-line application as screening mechanism---they never want to see you in person unless they ask for you...trying to keep desparate people out of personnel offices...
there are job fairs in the spring--big one in Arlington Convention Center each year and other places -- some districts have their own hiring fairs--
it is difficult to get a meaningful face to face with someone because there are never enough interviewers for the people who come...
there are three colleges in the area that have schools of ED and turn out plenty of new teachers each year who want to stay in this area so there are always new teachers competing with the ones who want to transfer to a better district locally or like you who are moving in from out of state...
TCU, UT-Arlington, and U of North Texas --not to mention Texas Weslyan, Texas Womens, U-Dallas an the local kids who have gone to Texas Tech or A&M or other texas colleges and want to come home to work...

am I being too negative--maybe--but being a teacher in TX is not an easy job market--depending on what you specialized in you may have an easy time getting hired--Secondary science and math are always looking for good people, some elementary areas like math and special ed...
but just a general elementary teacher--tough sledding...read that upper elementary math and science were sought after specs at hiring fairs this spring
those TAKS subjects are still struggling areas in most ISDs--of course soon the TAKS will make way for end-of-course which will make a lot more teachers have to face standardized testing on THEIR grade levels--some teachers who don't teach TAKS grades don't really feel the burden/pressure like those who teach in TAKS grades...

make sure you contact the state board about your credentials as soon as you can...
start checking out local districts to see which ones might be attractive to you
do a search for teaching job fairs and see if you can be notifies about registration dates
this is the jobs link for Dallas Region 10
http://ws3.ednet10.net/Tjn/TJN_Jobs....iew&startpage=

you can use this web link for Region 11--mainly Tarrant county ISDs...
map of public ISDs in Region 11
Education Service Center Region XI | Public Schools (http://www.esc11.net/8234398102229/site/default.asp - broken link)

this is the jobs link site
Education Service Center Region XI | Human Resources/Public Information (http://www.esc11.net/823100920135138/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=53028&823Nav= |162|&NodeID=162 - broken link)

you mention Dallas--but Ft Worth is a wonderful town and those of us who live on this side of DFW find many reasons to prefer it to Dallas...

Universal Acadamy in Irving -- a charter school-- has pretty good rep from some people who post on this board--my son taught there about 7 yrs ago I guess--found it was pretty poorly organized, no heirachy for discipline--maybe they have gotten their act together

in this area private Christian schools--are pretty popular--pay is less--some teachers are not certified--

charter schools take money from the state based on attendance numbers--they are required to follow state policy regarding TAKS testing
private schools DON'T take state money and are not required to test for TAKS--but some schools do
a magent school could be a charter school and use magent in its name or it could be a specialty public school -- like for science/math or the arts and take students from all over the district based on application/proficiency standards...

Last edited by loves2read; 11-11-2008 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 PM

86 posts, read 244,429 times
The nicest suburbs, in my opinion, are Frisco, Plano (West area), Allen, and McKinney. However, all of these are pretty large.

If you're looking for a smaller town feel, I'd look north of 380. The Dallas Tollway now goes all the way up to 380, so it's easy access, and it's really nice up there too and has a small town feel.... it has a happy, safe feeling in that area to me. I'd check out the master-planned community of Savannah (excellent schools there), and I'd look at Prosper as well (small community and nice, new homes), both of which are north of 380.

In any case, I think you'll have better luck looking at small towns north of Dallas, as they'll have a safer feel than those south of D, and it's just really nice up north - has a cleaner, newer, safer, more manicured feel to me.

You might want to check out Trophy Club, TX and Roanoke as well, though those are considered more of Ft. Worth suburbs. Parker, TX, east of Plano, is supposed to be nice as well.

Granbury, TX is an adorable town, but it's about an hour or so west of Ft. Worth.

Be sure to check out google's street view so you can click on different areas in a town and see what it looks like - like in Prosper, you'll see lots of nice, new homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas