Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

I think Joel Osteen is so positive and modern, I really appreciate his style. Are there any churches like that in Dallas? Any churches that have pastors that are similar to Joel? Size of the church doesn't matter, it can be huge or small....If so, please suggest them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:20 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
I'm not so sure Ed Young is like Joel Osteen as I don't listen often to either, but my daughter absolutely loves this guy and the church. I've been there twice and enjoyed it very much, but I'm not into contemporary Christian music and prefer the old Broadman Hymnal songs. Also, it's way too large for my liking. I felt like I was in a crowded city but if that doesn't bother you, I would recommend it to anyone. As you can see from the link below, there are many campuses from which to choose and one is in Dallas. My daughter does not attend that campus. Try it. I hope you enjoy it as much as my daughter does. Ed Young's dad (Ed Young, Sr.) has a huge church in Houston, the Second Baptist Church. My great nephew was married there in July.

Fellowship Church (http://www.fellowshipchurch.com/splash/ - broken link)

Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
I thought a relative of Osteen's (brother-in-law maybe) started a church in the Arlington area. I can't remember the name. Anyone know it? I remember there was some controversy about a funeral scheduled for the church that was turned down because the person was gay and the partner was not allowed to speak or something like that.

Somebody help me out, it was a couple of years ago and I could very well have my facts wrong about the controversy, but I do know that the Lakewood church did plant a group in Arlington and the pastor is related to Osteen somehow.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:16 AM

Artsguy, what part of the metroplex are you in? I don't know all the churches in the area, but know good ones that I could recommend.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 PM

11 posts, read 49,200 times
I think O'steens brother in law's church in Arlington was Higher Ground Chruch.....
I don't think you have to go to church to find O'steen's message.... just read Norman Mailer, Power of Positive Thinking... etc. I have never seen anyone who says the same thing everytime I hear him and barely mention the Bible or the scriptures.... sorry, just my opinion; but it you want to find some great churches which preach scripture and are Christ centered (and POSITIVE!) I would check out Watermark Community, Lakepoint, Prestonwood Baptist or The Branch... can't go wrong with any of these.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 PM

11 posts, read 49,200 times
Default correction

sorry, meant Norman Vincent Peale... I think.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:27 PM

Covenant Church and Hillcrest church were suggested to me.

Neither of them have the positive and nice pastors that Joel Osteen is....and so, I didn't like the churches. It has a progressive-state of the art environment with flags of different countries decorated amongst the church but it is also highly weird and out of place.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

Neither of them have the positive and nice pastors that Joel Osteen is....and so, I didn't like the churches. It has a progressive-state of the art environment with flags of different countries decorated amongst the church but it is also highly weird and out of place.

Have you tried Cathedral Of Hope? Maybe not exactly a Joel Osteen type but they embrace folks from all walks of life!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

OK, don't guess I know what you are looking for then, do you like the flags? What is weird and out of place? Do you know the pastors of these churches? What makes you think they aren't nice or positive?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:35 PM

NO, I believe in separation of church and state. Too weird because the atmosphere was too gaudy. Sermon was abrasive and I didn't want to come back for another one. egh.

Don't feel bad. At least you tried to help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
OK, don't guess I know what you are looking for then, do you like the flags? What is weird and out of place? Do you know the pastors of these churches? What makes you think they aren't nice or positive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas