Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 AM

636 posts, read 1,917,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Oh look whos back!

Inane babble about a dream home and some other stuff that, as usual, makes no sense
It's worth 7 seconds of my time to show the few who don't already know, that you haven't a clue what you're talking about...

Old 10-20-2008, 09:35 AM

636 posts, read 1,917,816 times
Quote:
Palm trees in Dallas look so out of place its not even funny, but then again I guess its another way of trying to look cool & be like The H, LA, or Miami.

The only "palm" thats native to the Dallas area is a dwarf palmetto which reaches a total height of about 3 feet & are usually only seen growing in the wild near the woodsy areas of East Texas.
Wow; here's another gem. Since when were we talking about "native"?

We have one guy who makes the bold and ridiculous statement that there's "not one" palm tree in Dallas. Then when the ignorance of the statement is exposed by everyone else in the thread, we've got someone else who decides to change the parameters... I guess if you twist the argument around enough, maybe you'll fool a few people into thinking you know what you're talking about...

Just keep backtracking until you reach a defendable position!!! I'm literally laughing out loud!!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,256,551 times
Default Not that "treeless"

More pics. Keep in mind these are in areas where the trees were planted years and years ago and have had the time to grow. It's going to take another 15 years or so before the trees in Plano grow like this, and another 20-30 years in Frisco or McKinney. Unless ya'll want to plant Eucalyptus, but are the soil conditions suitable for that in North Texas? And those trees are highly flammable too. Do.not.want.

Is Dallas as lush as Atlanta or Charlotte or Nashville? No, of course not. But is it as treeless as some of the more western cities? No, of course not. When I grew up in San Diego, I thought Dallas was very 'green'. Now that I live in Georgia, it's not as 'green' to me. But it's not like the only trees people in the metroplex see are the Christmas trees in the malls.

I think it boils down to personal preference though. I personally enjoy the beauty and lushness of the pine forest, allergies, sinus infections and all.

from Home Page:

View of Joe Pool Lake: Joe Pool Lake on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeesstof/1417576707/ - broken link)

Old 10-20-2008, 11:40 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,855,036 times
Quote:
I see palm trees used very frequently in places as far north of Houston as Conroe, Huntsville, & Livingston.
I do too but think it looks strange.

I prefer to see palms in Houston no further north or west than downtown or Galleria area.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,855,036 times
Post Houston/Galveston misconceptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
^
Don't get mad...
What BBQ means is that when people thing of palm trees they think of sand...when people think of Houston they think of an ugly swampy beach...not white sand...
so even if it is untrue, I have to say...Swamp + Palm trees don't make a picture seem correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
not even...Thats what makes the water in the gulf poop brown isnt it, the refinaries?
Guys, these are some of the major misconceptions about Houston, and a lot of the reason you'll see Houstonians get so defensive on these forums.

No, the sand is not white. This isn't Florida. It's not white further south in Texas either. This isn't the Caribbean. Go to the upper east or west coast US and you won't find much white sand either.

And no, the water is not brown from the refineries. It's where it sits on the coast in relation to the Mississippi River and the currents. It's not pollution; it's silt.

Take a look at these pics of Galveston I took when I was there last year, and you'll see it's actually quite nice.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-pictures.html

Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,192,873 times
I'm really upset they named a Gaston Ave apartment complex The "Stardust" - I don't even see any stars there...

Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 PM

464 posts, read 1,362,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm really upset they named a Gaston Ave apartment complex The "Stardust" - I don't even see any stars there...
yet its ok to name a dallas apartment after palms? I was in North Dallas this weekend and still didnt see any

Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,446,962 times
I found palm trees in north Dallas!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,813,342 times
[CENTER]

Okay folks... another troll-fed thread has bit the dust![/CENTER]

[CENTER]http://bestsmileys.com/signs16/5.gif (broken link)[/CENTER]

[CENTER]This thread is now closed.[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas