Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 AM

72 posts, read 309,524 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're moving into an apartment in Coppell next week until we get to know the surrounding areas a bit better and buy a home. Right now, we live in a beautifully wooded neighborhood in Southern Maryland. I've got huge oaks and pine trees growing around and behind my house...it's very serene and one of the things I'll miss most about the area. But, we're VERY excited about this move and I can't wait to find a new neighborhood to love. Can anyone recommend some tree-heavy neighborhoods that we can start keeping our eye on once we're there? My price range is between $325 and $450K.

I love using the street view on www.maps.google.com to actually see what the streets look like. I found one by accident called "Stonewood" in Grapevine that seemed to have a bit of what I was looking for. (While there were obviously beautiful trees and homes on the street I looked at, one street over looked a bit run down.)

I initially thought that we would be checking out Flower Mound, Coppell, etc. since we've heard that subdivisions have a bit more land and trees. BUT, we're open to other areas (Plano, McKinney, Allen, etc.). The most important thing to me (and I know it probably sounds silly!) is nice, mature trees.

Thanks to all for sending me in the right direction!

Last edited by mom2one; 08-21-2008 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 AM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,694 times
We looked at a subdivision in Flower Mound which was absolutely gorgeous--don't remember the name offhand---and the home was higher than your range but at the very top of the subdivision and I think there would be some in your range--but the area was sooo beautiful. I'll try to find out the name. Slight hills, winding streets, tons of trees. I am sure there are several like that in Flower Mound though.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 AM

72 posts, read 309,524 times
aeh -- that would be wonderful! Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM

35 posts, read 175,554 times
I totally understand what you are looking for. There is an area in Coppell that is heavily wooded. It starts just South of Bethel Road and extends from Denton Tap to Mockingbird. Some of those lots are big estate lots. Others are smaller. Look for lots on a creek, they tend to naturally be heavily wooded. These houses are older (I'd guess built around the 70s), but there are quite a few remodels and even some tear downs in this area. Fortunately, they preserved the trees.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 AM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
I would take a look at Highland Village. They have mature oaks everywhere and it's a very close knit community.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2one View Post
Hi all,

We're moving into an apartment in Coppell next week until we get to know the surrounding areas a bit better and buy a home. Right now, we live in a beautifully wooded neighborhood in Southern Maryland. I've got huge oaks and pine trees growing around and behind my house...it's very serene and one of the things I'll miss most about the area. But, we're VERY excited about this move and I can't wait to find a new neighborhood to love. Can anyone recommend some tree-heavy neighborhoods that we can start keeping our eye on once we're there? My price range is between $325 and $450K.

I love using the street view on www.maps.google.com to actually see what the streets look like. I found one by accident called "Stonewood" in Grapevine that seemed to have a bit of what I was looking for. (While there were obviously beautiful trees and homes on the street I looked at, one street over looked a bit run down.)

I initially thought that we would be checking out Flower Mound, Coppell, etc. since we've heard that subdivisions have a bit more land and trees. BUT, we're open to other areas (Plano, McKinney, Allen, etc.). The most important thing to me (and I know it probably sounds silly!) is nice, mature trees.

Thanks to all for sending me in the right direction!
You won't find any pine trees or large oaks in D/FW. North Texas is in the Prairie & Lakes region of Texas where the vegetation tends to be sparse & not very tall...pretty much open land. If you're looking for mature live oaks with Spanish Moss hanging off the limbs & 50 foot tall pine trees I recommend looking for a home in the Piney Woods of East or South East Texas around the Houston area.

Most of the vegetation in the Dallas area consists of Cedar, Mesquite, & scrub brush that can't even be classified as a real tree.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-21-2008 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-21-2008, 10:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
large oaks being how big?
there are some big oaks--just depends on if you can find them before the developers cut the down most of the time and plant the smaller ones the cities let them get away with...
Grapevine might have some trees in older neighborhoods around the lake--some of that is in Southlake limits
you can check MLS listings--look at photos and do a Google map satellite view of area...

but remember that most of these lots are so small that having large trees close to the house/foundation can bring their own problems....
including check the insurance policy to see what is covered if tree is blown over in storm

Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 AM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You won't find any pine trees or large oaks in D/FW. North Texas is in the Prairie & Lakes region of Texas where the vegetation tends to be sparse & not very tall...pretty much open land. If you're looking for mature live oaks with Spanish Moss hanging off the limbs & 50 foot tall pine trees I recommend looking for a home in the Piney Woods of East or South East Texas around the Houston area.

Most of the vegetation in the Dallas area consists of Cedar, Mesquite, & scrub brush that can't even be classified as a real tree.

There are plenty of large oaks in the DFW area. They are located in older neighborhoods not cookie cutter subdivision. The OP would love Cedar Hill but the location is all wrong. The problem is that there are few places that offer new homes and mature trees. You typically have to pick from the two.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:36 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
No oaks or pines in NE Texas? Hmmmm.....wonder what those 18 giant 60 yr old trees that line my drive are - they drop needles and cones in the driveway and everybody around here calls them pine trees! And we have to mow the pastures all the time to keep those oak-looking trees from spreading from the creeks!!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Huh? What are you smoking? Have you ever even BEEN to the metroplex? Yes, there are large, mature oaks all around. Granted, we don't have proper soil conditions for pines (in most parts of DFW), but there are plenty of Red, Burr, Live, Water, Chinquapin, etc. Oaks, as well as Cedar Elm, Pecan and other large shade trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas