Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
No oaks or pines in NE Texas? Hmmmm.....wonder what those 18 giant 60 yr old trees that line my drive are - they drop needles and cones in the driveway and everybody around here calls them pine trees! And we have to mow the pastures all the time to keep those oak-looking trees from spreading from the creeks!!
North East Texas is NOT North Texas...totally different region of Texas. Yes, there are pine trees in NE Texas. Canton, Tx is pretty much the imaginary dividing line between regions on I-20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Huh? What are you smoking? Have you ever even BEEN to the metroplex? Yes, there are large, mature oaks all around. Granted, we don't have proper soil conditions for pines (in most parts of DFW), but there are plenty of Red, Burr, Live, Water, Chinquapin, etc. Oaks, as well as Cedar Elm, Pecan and other large shade trees.
Yes, there are some mature trees in the older parts of Dallas, but she said she is wanting to move to Grapevine, Coppell, or Flower Mound in which there are not what I consider to be large trees (I'm an East Texas native)

I have lived in & visit the Dallas area quite often & its no East Texas or Houston...

Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM

636 posts, read 1,916,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yes, there are some mature trees in the older parts of Dallas, but she said she is wanting to move to Grapevine, Coppell, or Flower Mound in which there are not what I consider to be large trees (I'm an East Texas native)

I have lived in & visit the Dallas area quite often & its no East Texas or Houston...
She didn't ask if it were East Texas or Houston; she asked if there were large, mature oak trees. The answer is that yes, there absolutely are. Have you ever been to Grapevine or Flower Mound? If you have, then you weren't paying attention.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Northlake Woodlands is the neighborhood you want. This is the older neighborhood of custom homes on estate lots. It is HEAVILY WOODED with NATURAL and NATIVE Oak trees. Some of the street names are: Meadowcreek, Rolling Hills, Rocky Branch, Leavalley, Arbor Brook, Hunters Ridge, Briar Cove. These trees are OLDER than the homes in MOST cases. Coppell has ALWAYS had tons of NATIVE OAKS!

Even Mapquest.com does an aerial view and you can see all of the large trees.

Oh, and I've grown up in that area and know EXACTLY what is there and has always been there. I'm also VERY familiar w/ East Texas as my grandparents lived out there on acreage w/ THOUSANDS of trees and we have a lake house in East Texas

Old 08-21-2008, 01:39 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,094 times
Check the area of Coppell that is zoned to Pinkerton elementary. A lot of those lots are larger with lots of trees. There are some older areas of Flower Mound that also have bigger lots and more mature trees, but I'm not sure what those neighborhoods are called.
If you are not dead set on the suburbs you listed, you may want to check out Prairie Creek and Canyon Creek in Richardson and the area of north Dallas (and Richardson) that feeds into Brentfield Elementary (in Richardson ISD) as well as Lake Highlands, Lakewood, and Kessler Park. These are all older areas of DFW with more mature trees. I mention the elem. schools because when we moved here, that is how I narrowed my search, so I'm not certain of the neighborhood names, just the schools which we considered a good fit for our kids.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:10 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2one View Post
Hi all,

We're moving into an apartment in Coppell next week until we get to know the surrounding areas a bit better and buy a home. Right now, we live in a beautifully wooded neighborhood in Southern Maryland. I've got huge oaks and pine trees growing around and behind my house...it's very serene and one of the things I'll miss most about the area. But, we're VERY excited about this move and I can't wait to find a new neighborhood to love. Can anyone recommend some tree-heavy neighborhoods that we can start keeping our eye on once we're there? My price range is between $325 and $450K.

I love using the street view on www.maps.google.com to actually see what the streets look like. I found one by accident called "Stonewood" in Grapevine that seemed to have a bit of what I was looking for. (While there were obviously beautiful trees and homes on the street I looked at, one street over looked a bit run down.)

I initially thought that we would be checking out Flower Mound, Coppell, etc. since we've heard that subdivisions have a bit more land and trees. BUT, we're open to other areas (Plano, McKinney, Allen, etc.). The most important thing to me (and I know it probably sounds silly!) is nice, mature trees.

Thanks to all for sending me in the right direction!
In Flower Mound within your price range, I would look in the following communites:

Waterford Park Estates
Woodlake Estates
Lost Creek (huge lots with lots of trees, older homes)
Twin Cove Estates
Oak Bend Estates
Very few streets in Wellington

Then there are the occasional custom homes that are not part of a subdivision such as

Cardinal
High Road Ridge

In Grapevine:

Silver Lake
Manor Oaks
Wood Creek
Hidden lake
Belfort
Austin Oaks (Lots of trees in the backyard, usually 1 in the front)

If you like Irving, there is a community not too far south of 183 called Sherwood Forest. Huge towering trees and wide streets and large lots.

Naima

Old 08-23-2008, 07:11 AM

50 posts, read 158,413 times
Northlake Woodlands in Coppell would be a good subdivision to start your home search.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
MetroMatt--you are not living in this area apparently enough to get out of Dallas itself--

there are areas where people have planted pine trees in the past and they have propogated others--but it is true that the pine tree is not really indigenous to this part of TX--the soil is not really the type it prefers and there are few areas where there are large stands as there are in East Texas--but there are small pockets and there are definitely subdivisions where homeowners have pines in their yards...

Oaks however are a different matter--this country did have stands of native oaks and before clearcutting for developments ran wild there were plenty of them around--there are subdivisions and open land with older, large oak trees from several different types as another poster listed...they are just increasingly rare in open land once development starts
cities have given lip service to tree preservation/conservation laws but the rules developers must follow still basically allow them to cut any/all tress they want to pour as much concrete as they want --- even when they are supposed to replant trees they can get away with planting smaller, less expensive trees that take 20-30 years to reach even an approximate size of the ones cut down...
Fort Worth used to have many lovely larger oaks and it has really given over trying to preserve them now that Barnett Shale drilling has taken over the hearts/minds of the city council...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas