Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 AM

595 posts, read 2,722,495 times

Advertisements

"Again, we would like to minimize the "Biff and Tad" phenomena"
If this is the case...then I would leave off any of the Northwest/Prestonhollow/Bluffview choices. All of those are very Biff and Tad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:32 AM

446 posts, read 552,713 times
Sorry, new to the "Snobbery" lingo, but what is Biff and Tad?

Never heard of it...

Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,570 times
I neither have heard of Biff and Tad. It is really interesting reading this post as I always liked the fact that the US unlike the UK (where I'm from) didn't have a class society. But I guess the new money in the US are thinking that they are higher than everyone else. We have that in the UK too. We have the upper classes (old money), middle classes and then the working classes. It has always been said that both the upper and working classes know their place but the middle classes are the really self-conscious ones who constantly strive to better themselves but not in a good way, in a truly materialistic way. I have a friend who is upper class and speaks 'Queens English', she is the most down to earth person I know and clothes wise you cannot tell that she has money and far a long time drove a beat up VW. I know new money people who dismiss anyone who they think isn't of the same social standing as them. It is quite funny really.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,850 times
I second the suggestion of looking at Lakewood/Forest Hills and consider St. Thomas, St. John's and Lakehill Prep. You won't completely leave Biff and Tad behind you, but I'm finding people pretty laid back here. Like attracts like, you know?

Old 07-16-2008, 07:01 AM

6 posts, read 11,305 times
Default The perfect answer

Hey, without a doubt, the combination of Argyle and Liberty Christian School wins hands down. The school, if you research, has been at the top of the academic (and extra-curricular) performance list for the past quite a few years. I have one boy attending now, and couldn´t dream of sending him anywhere else. Call the school (940 294 2010) and schedule a visit to see what they do and learn about the values, etc.

As far as where to live. Well, there are two, small, connected neighborhoods that are so close to LCS that your kids can walk (without ever even seeing a large, busy street). They are Tuscanny Hill (2.5 acre lots)and Liberty Crossing (1 acre lots) (both currently with several houses for sale, mid $700´s to $1.2-ish). There are quite a few families there with kids, quite a few attending LCS, friendly, no "big money" syndrome, just all around good people. Also, there are quite a few "work from home" families there that share your type lifestyle. As a final note, within Liberty Crossing, they actually have a sidewalk that leads onto the LCS Campus.

Not quite as close in but still just a couple of minutes from the school are several other new areas off of French town road. One is Frenchtown Manor (3 to 5 acre lots) and a brand new one Wellington something or other (1 acre lots).

Drawbacks? Well, there is not a lot of retail and/or services in Argyle. BUT, Denton is only about 6 or 7 minutes north and Roanoke is only 6 or 7 minutes south, and heavy retail is available in Highland Village, about 10 or 12 minutes away. And, in the coming years, there will be a lot of new retail stuff at I35 that should fill in the gaps.

Lot sizes in this area are generally large 1 - 3 acres, so there will never be a wall of houses behind you peering in.

Oh yeah, I live there (for only about the past 18 months) and it is a great place to be. Send me an e-mail if you´d like some more information.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:08 AM

105 posts, read 240,684 times
I have been on the board of the Parish Episcopal School - I was not really convinced about private school but after seeing these guys, I was very impressed. It is very diverse, and I think the snob factor is relatively low.

Parish Episcopal School - Child Development Center

As for location - that really depends on what you are looking for...

Old 08-02-2008, 04:12 PM

66 posts, read 382,472 times
Default re

I second Trinity Academy in Addison.Addison is a nice area of Dallas and the school is wonderful
2nd choice is Preston Hollow,where I live, and Dallas Episcopol school but I doubt you'll find anything under 1 mil that is decent.
Las Colinas is a very nice area as well.
You mentioned Catholic- St Thomas Aquinas is a very very nice Catholic school. It's located in the Lakewood area,near White Rock Lake, and that is a wonderful area as well. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: