Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 11:54 AM

197 posts, read 776,974 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Atlanta which is known for crappy public schools. As a result, our kids are in private school here in Atlanta. Both my DH and I grew up in public and that is our preference....mostly out of comfort rather than any particular reason. Living in Atlanta and in a very pro-private environment, I have heard all about how the American public school system is considered to be in decline vs what we experienced 20-30 years ago. On the other hand, I think just like politics, schools are best experienced and judged locally. I have nieces and nephews in other parts of the country who are exemplary products of public school education. Besides, private schools are $$$$$!

Despite our initial public school bias, we have found that to our surprise, we have been really impressed with the private school our kids attend. We knew paying the $$ we would get something good but we were surprised to find out HOW good. I must admit we are feeling ever so slightly apprehensive about going public. I am very encouraged from what I have seen in the Dallas public school websites (Armstrong, Westlake Academy) relative to curriculum and approach.... For the most part, we think going public will be a good choice for us in Dallas but I'd love to hear other perspectives.

If you chose private, are you in a good public school system and wanted private anyway?

If you can afford private, but chose public, can you expound on why....

Thanks in advance,
Lola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
Dallas has some excellent private schools. The trick will be being able to get your kids transferred in - from what I understand, there is testing and waiting lists.

I had heard or read somewhere that about 20% of the school aged children in the Park Cities - which has excellent public schools - attend private schools. It's a personal preference as well as possibly wanting your child to attend a school that has a religous affiliation.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times
There are a a few really good districts, a few that are just plain awful, and most are pretty middle of the road.

Dallas ISD has a handful of excellent schools, but in all honesty most are under performing. Now in the same vein of honesty about the poor performance, I will say that most of that is due to lack of parental support. The majority if students in DISD come from low income homes, and often single parent homes.

Myself, I would not send my child to DISD. The teachers are good, the curriculum is good. There have been several scandals involving DISD, and tons of mismanagement in the upper ranks.

As for the private schools in Dallas some are very expensive, but are top tier everything.

I attended public schools myself. I had many wonderful teachers who truly cared about me. However I think too much focus is put on standardized tests. Private and home school students are exempt from such tests.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 AM

17 posts, read 63,709 times
Default Suggestions please.

Hi All,

I will be moving to Frisco/Plano area and wanted some suggestion regarding private schools. We had planned to put our daughter in private school for few yrs and then decide when she gets to middle or high school. Can you suggest some good private schools in that area and approx cost? Also, I am from India and though I respect all religions and have no problems with anything, do you guys see all private schools as too religious or which are not that religious (no offence intended).

Thanks,
PM

Old 03-25-2008, 03:28 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmason2005 View Post
Hi All,

I will be moving to Frisco/Plano area and wanted some suggestion regarding private schools. We had planned to put our daughter in private school for few yrs and then decide when she gets to middle or high school. Can you suggest some good private schools in that area and approx cost? Also, I am from India and though I respect all religions and have no problems with anything, do you guys see all private schools as too religious or which are not that religious (no offence intended).

Thanks,
PM
The two big all female private schools are Hockaday and Ursuline. Ursuline is a Catholic high school. Hockaday is secular, and serves all grade levels. Both schools have notable alumni.

Wikipedia cites Hockaday as having a tuition of about $20k/year in the 2005-2006 school year.

According to Urulines website, a years tuition comes in at just under $13k/year.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:35 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,871 times
Default Re:

In Collin County (Frisco/Plano), just about all the private schools are HIGHLY religious - Prestonwood, John Paul II, both Princes of Peace, Legacy, etc. I can't imagine being happy with those schools unless you subscribe to the associated religion. There hasn't been much demand for secular private education, since the public schools are considered to be just fine.

In Dallas County, you can find secular schools (Greenhill, St. Alcuin), as well as schools with a loose religious connection. There are Collin County folks that attend these schools, but the lion's share of these kids come from the Dallas ISD area. You will want to think long and hard about driving your kid into Dallas each day and shelling out $10-$15K/year for tuition.

Just about all the Indians I know have their kids in the Plano or Frisco ISD. Plano, in particular, is loaded with Indian and Chinese kids - something like 20% of the student population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: