Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 10:46 PM

5,879 posts, read 4,195,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
More money does not mean better. This is part of the problem. There is too much emphasis on material wealth. Many of the jobs making the most money are among the least useful and most harmful. Society has turned away from God, and the culture has gone to pot.
I'd argue that the non-monetary benefits of college possibly outweigh the monetary benefits. Education is an enriching endeavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 09:33 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,094,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I'd argue that the non-monetary benefits of college possibly outweigh the monetary benefits. Education is an enriching endeavor.
"Higher education" is part of the problem, not the solution. They're steering people towards moral decline and away from church and God.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:46 AM

565 posts, read 560,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
People often point to the difficulty some college grads have in getting good jobs as evidence that college isn't worth it. But the proper comparison would be to look at how non-grads are faring. By any measure, college grads make more and do better in their professional lives. That doesn't mean there aren't good non-college routes, but if we're speaking generally, college is still a better bet than just a high school diploma.
To add to this almost every single kid I knew growing up that had adults pushing them into education were the ones actually getting viable degrees, skills, and internships.

The original quote was complaining about adults pushing college but at least in my experiences the ones who ended up with $100k+ history/communication degrees were the ones who had little adult involvement or the extent of the involvement was "we'll co-sign on your loans if that's what it takes to get you out of the house"

Old 02-26-2023, 07:32 AM

252 posts, read 208,940 times
Quote:
More money does not mean better. This is part of the problem. There is too much emphasis on material wealth. Many of the jobs making the most money are among the least useful and most harmful. Society has turned away from God, and the culture has gone to pot.
Last I checked, my bank doesn’t accept the word of God as a mortgage payment.

Nope, they won’t even accept it as down payment.

Looks like I will need actual money to pay my mortgage.

Why wouldn’t I focus on making the most money per hour if I have to earn money to pay for my life.

Should I focus on minimum wage jobs or focus on highly paid jobs for every hour that I trade my time for cash??

Money talks, bull **** walks .

The banks all agree.

Listed for 24 hours with 4,400 views

Probably 60-75 people were there.

100% expect a bidding war.

https://redf.in/yxl9B6

Open house today is the same as 2022. Enjoy the higher rates and the continued competition.

Realtor.com estimates that the payments are about $4,402 per month. That would require a MINIMUM income of $211,296 per year to afford this (following the rule of no more than 25% of your gross going to mortgage, home insurance, etc.).

Median household income in Allen, TX is $118,254. So people are either making a financial mistake buying this house, or everyone in that photo is in the top 5th percentile of income earners in Texas (apparently for the whole state of Texas, the 95th percentile of a household income is about $210k).

Last edited by DFW_FTW; 02-26-2023 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-26-2023, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 3,512 times
Quote:
Imo, the church is nothing, but satisfying work is everything. Money is just numbers in some abstract holder somewhere. Getting something out the door that provides a real value / solves a real problem, gives real satisfaction. Its sad how much people chase after money these days. Mis-spent investment in religion doesn't begin to approach that.

Old 02-26-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
"Higher education" is part of the problem, not the solution. They're steering people towards moral decline and away from church and God.
I, too, have serious misgivings about the current state of higher-ed, but it has more to do with it turning student into grist for the corporate mill. It doesn't improve you so that you might function effectively. It grooms you for subservience/obedience/dependence and entrapment (e.g. latter via college loan debt).

Old 02-26-2023, 11:23 AM

19,870 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlee View Post
I, too, have serious misgivings about the current state of higher-ed, but it has more to do with it turning student into grist for the corporate mill. It doesn't improve you so that you might function effectively. It grooms you for subservience/obedience/dependence and entrapment (e.g. latter via college loan debt).
Thanks for the laughs.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Thanks for the laughs.
On the upside, it's possible they do you a service by giving some advance warning (test-bed) of what to expect. However, many tend to trust authorities instinctively, and presumably more so for an educational (i.e. "betterment") entity vs an (~exploitative) employment entity.

Just based on the exorbitant tuitions, degraded curricula and standards, and rampant academic narcissism, though, there is clearly some symbiosis if not outright conspiracy.

I did get definite benefits from my higher-ed, liberal arts through a science MS, but never having been much of a conformer, I am only finding some peace with my career now mainly behind me.

Looking back, I see higher-ed as a luxury, which the US might (soon) ill afford, the way things are going. My career is not in the area of either of my degrees. Some great (non-degreed) college learning was a critical entry into my field, which I then continued independently. Some (< 5% ?) could do the whole thing for themselves, but not me, at least not from where I was in life when I embarked.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Just based on the exorbitant tuitions, degraded curricula and standards, and rampant academic narcissism, though, there is clearly some symbiosis if not outright conspiracy.

I did get definite benefits from my higher-ed, liberal arts through a science MS, but never having been much of a conformer, I am only finding some peace with my career now mainly behind me.

Looking back, I see higher-ed as a luxury, which the US might (soon) ill afford, the way things are going. My career is not in the area of either of my degrees.
Learn to pick your degrees and most won't have any issues you mentioned above. Degrees with license over fluffy liberal arts classes just to kill time and get a degree to satisfy some sort of checkbox requirement on an application.

I don't see any problems with nurses, engineers, accountants, electricians, plumbers or physician assistants.

You're wasting a ton of timing trying to trash higher education because of the choices you made.

Folks need to continue to focus on skilled trades or jobs in demand.

It took me 10 seconds to Google top 10 jobs in demand or high paying jobs in demand.

You should do that next time you plan to make life altering decisions.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/fastest-growing.htm

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-in...linkedin-news/

https://www.themuse.com/advice/high-...and-for-future

https://www.mydegreeguide.com/best-d...to-get-online/

https://www.betterup.com/blog/most-in-demand-jobs

https://bold.org/blog/majors-with-mo...opportunities/

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=top+10+jobs+in+demand

Attached Thumbnails
Dallas Housing Market-jobs.jpg   Dallas Housing Market-jobs-usa.jpg   Dallas Housing Market-majors-most-job-opportunities-2023.png  

Last edited by DFW_FTW; 02-26-2023 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-26-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Imo, the church is nothing, but satisfying work is everything. Money is just numbers in some abstract holder somewhere. Getting something out the door that provides a real value / solves a real problem, gives real satisfaction. Its sad how much people chase after money these days. Mis-spent investment in religion doesn't begin to approach that.

Quote:
Again all bunch of hot air and opinions worth nothing.

Here is facts to show you jobs that are in demand and are respected as well. Read the above post too about jobs / wages.

Now crawl back to your corner until the next time you like to spit out some non-sense.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...-in-the-world/

Last edited by DFW_FTW; 02-26-2023 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas