Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,133 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, We got some good news this afternoon and our daughter was accepted to both GreenHill and Hockaday. Now Looking to get some insights from the group in terms of direct comparison between the two. Also, looking to get % of graduating class admitted to Ivies in both the schools and comparative success of these two in terms of Ivy college admissions.

Both the schools show college names where kids went but are silent on how many kids went where. Any help on comparison between these two schools especially on Ivy (plus Stanford, MIT, Chicago) admission rates/success will be very helpful to make a decision.

We are overjoyed regardless as these are two great schools but want to make the right choice which seems to be a tough one now.

Also requesting that we don't start discussing the merit of private school vs public school here as that decision we have already made or debate about why Ivies don't matter.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing some of the great insights from the group that will help us make this final and critical decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 16,518 times
From what I know, Hockaday has the best college matriculation of all the schools in Dallas, even better than St Marks. Greenhill slots in below both.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:39 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by admit2022 View Post
Hi Everyone, We got some good news this afternoon and our daughter was accepted to both GreenHill and Hockaday. Now Looking to get some insights from the group in terms of direct comparison between the two. Also, looking to get % of graduating class admitted to Ivies in both the schools and comparative success of these two in terms of Ivy college admissions.

Both the schools show college names where kids went but are silent on how many kids went where. Any help on comparison between these two schools especially on Ivy (plus Stanford, MIT, Chicago) admission rates/success will be very helpful to make a decision.

We are overjoyed regardless as these are two great schools but want to make the right choice which seems to be a tough one now.

Also requesting that we don't start discussing the merit of private school vs public school here as that decision we have already made or debate about why Ivies don't matter.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing some of the great insights from the group that will help us make this final and critical decision!
What age is your kiddo?

Old 03-11-2022, 08:05 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I am going to assume you have a daughter entering at least middle and hopefully high school….and that we are not discussing a 4 year old’s Ivy prospects.

Both schools are fantastic and top students at both are well positioned for Ivy / Ivy+ admissions. It’s really up to your kid to get the grades, scores, develop their “hook” and develop those teacher rec relationships that will ultimately get noticed by the college admissions committees. Hock vs GH is not going to tip the application into the “yes” pile.

Pick the one you like the most and the best feeling about.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse2 View Post
From what I know, Hockaday has the best college matriculation of all the schools in Dallas, even better than St Marks. Greenhill slots in below both.
We are in middle school. My question was more on Ivy chances not because of the name of the school but from how connected/good the counselors are and how it may be more of a priority for the admins than the other etc.

@Anonymouse2, do you have any data to back up your response on Hockaday having the best matriculation of the three? SMS shares #s admitted by college names but the other two do not at least not on their websites that I looked at. Would appreciate it if you can PM me any data regarding that.

When I also look at Niche ranking on private schools, Hockaday is one spot below GH not sure what criteria they use though.

Thanks all for your responses so far!

Old 03-11-2022, 09:02 PM

537 posts, read 449,218 times
Congrats to your daughter! I really do not think you can make a bad decision at this point. I think the biggest difference is single sex vs. co-ed education. The only other question I would ask myself is where does she have the most friends going.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:57 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have one additional question if anyone can provide their insights.

We have a son for whom we will try next year in privates (SMS and GH). I know SMS considers Hockaday a sister school. But does anyone know if SMS gives admission preference if the other sibling is in Hockaday similar to sibling preference within their own school?

Old 03-12-2022, 10:02 AM

245 posts, read 254,154 times
If you walk around Greenhill the kids are all wearing Tufts shirts and the like. Hockaday is more “social”.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who responded. I have one additional question if anyone can provide their insights.

We have a son for whom we will try next year in privates (SMS and GH). I know SMS considers Hockaday a sister school. But does anyone know if SMS gives admission preference if the other sibling is in Hockaday similar to sibling preference within their own school?
No, Hockaday and St Marks do not consider the other school’s siblings to be “connections” or part of their “community applicants” pool. Zero preference in admissions and I know plenty of families who have a kid who is enrolled at H/SM and siblings rejected or WL at the other.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:10 AM

300 posts, read 289,601 times
Quote:
One choice isn’t obviously better than the other in terms of academics, reputation, college matriculation etc. Think more about feel and fit. Does one seem obviously more comfortable? Preference for single sex or co Ed? Any connections with either school that could ease the transition? Good relevant extracurriculars? You can’t really go wrong here, so you might as well focus on the more qualitative aspects of either school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas