Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,635 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm about to relocate my family from Scotland to Dallas. We're due to move in the next month or so, where I'll be working in Richardson. I have 3 children of middle school, junior high and high school ages. We've lived in Texas before (Austin - 2000 to 2003) and really enjoyed it. The chance to move back to Texas, really is something we never dreamed would ever happen again. We are all very excited.
My wife has been researching like crazy over the past 6months on good towns around Richardson. We're looking to rent for 3 months and then buy a property. By far the most important aspect of choosing a location is schools, but in addition, we like to spend a lot of time outdoors - bikes, soccer, swimming, walking, etc. Real estate needs to be affordable i.e. <250K. So far we've looked at Sachse, Plano, Allen and Wylie, so if anyone has and opinion on these towns, I'd really appreciate hearing it. So far Wylie appears to tick many boxes, but if anyone reading this has been in a similar predicament, any help would be great.
cheers,
Stew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:02 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,877 times
Wylie will put you pretty close to Lake Lavon, which is popular for fishing. There are a few parks along its shores, at least one boat ramp, and lots of heavily wooded areas. Just south of Lavon is Lake Ray Hubbard. Ray Hubbard is very popular for boating, and the parks around it are much nicer than the ones around Lavon.

There are some nice hike and bike trails in Garland and Richardson. Breckenridge Park in Richardson is very nice. White Rock trail around White Rock Lake in Dallas is popular for cycling.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
I know the area well - I'm in Murphy which is a neighbor to all but Allen, which is just a stone's throw up the road. (played in the Allen adult co-ed softball league last summer).

Mary is right. You've got some great outdoor opportunities in the area.

You might also want to consider Murphy - it's actually split between Wylie ISD to the east and Plano ISD to the west - basically following Maxwell Creek as the dividing line. Both are good districts. I'm in PISD, so I know a lot more about that but I only hear good things from the parents in the other neighborhoods.

THe city is about 5 square miles and is landlocked so the Council and Chamber and Economic Development are doing everything they can to make sure that as the city reaches build out that it's all done right. There's a new center under construction right now with a Lowe's, Sprouts, 24 Hr fitness and a bunch of other restaurants and shops. SuperTarget is going in just over the border into Wylie and it's only a 10 minute drive to Firewheel in Garland - regional outdoor mall.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM

43 posts, read 121,593 times
All of those areas would be really nice. I live in Wylie so I'll tell you as much as I can about here.

You mention you have junior high and high school age children. We currently have 3 intermediate(5/6), 3 junior high(7/8) schools and 2 high schools. But the newest high school Wylie East HS is currently only housing Freshman. All freshman will again go to the school next year and then as they proceed to 10th grade, they will split according to the dividing line for the schools. The district will have to work very hard during the next few years to get the many programs in place that a high school needs to be superior.

The city has a youth soccer league Wylie Youth Soccer Association and there are girls and boys soccer teams at Wylie HS, not sure if freshman at WEHS have their own team or if they are bussed over to WHS. The city does not have any public pools, nor any plans to build one in the near future. Certain neighborhoods in the city may have a community pool, which is usually supported by an HOA. Currently there are no "real" bike paths, but there are a few neighborhoods with some walking paths. As someone else mentioned Breckenridge park has some nice trails and is not too far away. The city is in the planning process of building a very nice city hall, recreation center, library and walk and bike trails. It should be very nice when it is done.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:17 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,253,696 times
If you like masterplanned communities, Woodbridge in Sachse would be a great candidate...

Naima

Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 PM

106 posts, read 284,033 times
I'd look into plano, richardson, or far north Dallas, they are all closer to the big city and all kinds of activities

Old 05-14-2008, 05:00 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
That's right, because we're in the boonies out here in Murphy with nothing to do but stare at each other.

FWIW, I'm 5 mins from Richardson and Plano and 190. Getting anywhere I want to do anything I want has never been a problem.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:32 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,415 times
HarryStew - I'm a fellow Brit like you (Newcastle). We are in Illinois at the moment but are moving to Dallas in the summer. We used to live in the Dallas area a few years ago and went back for a visit a few weeks ago. We concentrated our search efforts in Lucas and Fairview but we did touch on Wylie and Sacshe too. That whole area appealed more to me than Plano, Richardson etc. There is more space over there and you are still close to the city if you need to go there.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,177 times
Smile Dream of relocating our family:)

Hi Stew

We are in Aberdeen, Scotland and would love to move over to the States, thought about Mansfield, Texas but are open to suggestions on area's for british families! Just wandered are you entering with a working visa? We have no clue where to even begin! My husband is an I.T manager in a large company so getting work i m sure won't be a problem.

Any info will help a great deal and i hope all goes well with your move

many thanks
Angela

Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 AM

306 posts, read 1,161,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStew View Post
Hi,

I'm about to relocate my family from Scotland to Dallas. We're due to move in the next month or so, where I'll be working in Richardson. I have 3 children of middle school, junior high and high school ages. We've lived in Texas before (Austin - 2000 to 2003) and really enjoyed it. The chance to move back to Texas, really is something we never dreamed would ever happen again. We are all very excited.
My wife has been researching like crazy over the past 6months on good towns around Richardson. We're looking to rent for 3 months and then buy a property. By far the most important aspect of choosing a location is schools, but in addition, we like to spend a lot of time outdoors - bikes, soccer, swimming, walking, etc. Real estate needs to be affordable i.e. <250K. So far we've looked at Sachse, Plano, Allen and Wylie, so if anyone has and opinion on these towns, I'd really appreciate hearing it. So far Wylie appears to tick many boxes, but if anyone reading this has been in a similar predicament, any help would be great.
cheers,
Stew
My family and I are planning on moving to McKinney from Cheshire. It looks to be a lovely area with a lot to offer. I have an uncle that lives there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaChalmers View Post
Hi Stew

We are in Aberdeen, Scotland and would love to move over to the States, thought about Mansfield, Texas but are open to suggestions on area's for british families! Just wandered are you entering with a working visa? We have no clue where to even begin! My husband is an I.T manager in a large company so getting work i m sure won't be a problem.

Any info will help a great deal and i hope all goes well with your move

many thanks
Angela
What kind of visa are you plannin on? I am American and my Husband is British so its marriage and not a work visa. We have found Diveintoamerica.com very helpful for visa issues.

Looks like there will be enough Brits about to help with homesickness. I do worry about my husband, and myself for that matter, as I know being an expat can be very challenging at times. 5 yrs in the UK has made me feel like a bit of a mixed breed. No longer fully American, yet not British either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas