Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 PM

222 posts, read 603,869 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but have enjoyed seeing how helpful everyone seems to be. I am seeking to purchase my first home. Such a process! The hardest part so far has been figuring out what part of town I want to live in. A little background, I work in Plano, attend church in the Duncanville area, have friends all over the metroplex. I've looked at a whole host of neighborhoods, and I went out and visited Woodbridge, I was very impressed with the community. It's about 30 min from my job, but not sure how far it will be from church. Does anyone know the proximity from Woodbridge to I-30? Anyway, what feedback do any of you have about Woodbridge? Good area? Is there alot around that area ( I did see Firewheel, grocery stores, etc on 78)? I want to get a little feedback before I get too excited about the neighborhood....lol I understand that Wylie ISD is a great school district and that is important to me. I am single with no kids, but I am thinking of this purchase from a re-sell standpoint. Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 03:02 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
You're going to hate the drive to Duncanville. I lived in Richardson and any time I showed houses or had listings in Cedar Hill, it was a minimum of 45 minutes. Woodbridge is 10 minutes from where I lived in Richardson off Renner, so you're talking 55 minutes just to Cedar Hill and then you have to go West to Duncanville. My math says over an hour...

As for the area, it's growing, and you would be doing most of your shopping in Sachse and Firewheel off 78, though there is a Super Walmart north on 78 further into Wylie.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:22 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
I agree that the commute from Wylie to Duncanville would be torturous. Would it be easier to find a church that is closer to your work so you can work and play close by?

There are plenty of grocery stores by Woodbridge, from a large Kroger, to a superwalmart. Down 544, there is Home Depot, SuperTarget and lots more.

If not, then I would suggest south Garland (close to 635) or Mesquite to be somehow closer to both places.

Naima

Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM

871 posts, read 2,689,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but have enjoyed seeing how helpful everyone seems to be. I am seeking to purchase my first home. Such a process! The hardest part so far has been figuring out what part of town I want to live in. A little background, I work in Plano, attend church in the Duncanville area, have friends all over the metroplex. I've looked at a whole host of neighborhoods, and I went out and visited Woodbridge, I was very impressed with the community. It's about 30 min from my job, but not sure how far it will be from church. Does anyone know the proximity from Woodbridge to I-30? Anyway, what feedback do any of you have about Woodbridge? Good area? Is there alot around that area ( I did see Firewheel, grocery stores, etc on 78)? I want to get a little feedback before I get too excited about the neighborhood....lol I understand that Wylie ISD is a great school district and that is important to me. I am single with no kids, but I am thinking of this purchase from a re-sell standpoint. Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!
I live in Wylie and am a big Wylie touter, but if you MUST drive to Duncanville every Sunday I wouldn't want to live in Wylie.

Right now it takes a while to get to I-30 from Woodbridge. Now most would take 78 south all the way to 635, then 635 to 30. But in a couple of years (supposed to be by late 2011) the Bush Turnike is supposed to connect with I-30 which will make it very easy to get to I-30 from Woodbridge (78 South to Bush to I-30).

As others have said, everything you need or want is near Woodbridge, i.e. on the stretch of 78 between Woodbridge and Bush, or even just up a bit North on 78 into Wylie. All the essentials + Firewheel town center. Woodbridge itself is nice and affordable.

And also, even as a big Wylie supporter, Wylie isn't the place I think of for a single person to move to, and I wouldn't think of Wylie in terms of a big investment opportunity either. I don't think you will lose money, but I don't think you will be in for a big windfall either. The only way I see huge appreciation coming for Wylie homes is if somehow (And it's not going to happen) 78 became a freeway/tollway, at least from the FM544 junction to Bush turnpike. Otherwise people will never flock to Wylie no matter how much they build it out because to get out of it to Dallas you have to travel for several miles on either FM 544 west or 78 South, both with traffic lights, before you hop on a freeway or tollway. At least they are expanding 78 in that stretch I referred to and have much of it done.

Last edited by pappy97; 06-28-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 23,497 times
Pappy,

Not sure if you have seen this, but I also read that the DART is planning a rail system called the "Cotton Belt" that is slated to beging construction in 2013 and will run from downtown Wylie, clear across thru Addison, DFW Airport,and down into Fort Worth.

Don't have many details aside from what I found on the Dart website

Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCam View Post
Pappy,

Not sure if you have seen this, but I also read that the DART is planning a rail system called the "Cotton Belt" that is slated to beging construction in 2013 and will run from downtown Wylie, clear across thru Addison, DFW Airport,and down into Fort Worth.

Don't have many details aside from what I found on the Dart website
Do you have a link? I know DART owns that right of way through Wylie, but everything I've heard thus far about the Cotton Belt line is that it's eastern terminus would be in Plano and not extend into Wylie.

That's in the 2030 plan:

A nearly 26-mile express rail line in the east-west Cotton Belt corridor from the Red Line (read: Not Wylie) to DFW International Airport.

DART.org - DART 2030 Transit System Plan

Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Have a look at this PDF which shows it going all the way into downtown Wylie

http://www.dart.org/cottonbeltppp/northcrosstownmap.pdf

Will try to find more on it

Old 06-28-2010, 02:28 PM

Ahhh.. this explains it.... looks like it is still just considered a "potential" at this stage
Quote:
Segment 4: DART Red Line to Downtown Wylie:
Quote:
This segment of the project corridor is a potential future phase into the communities of Murphy and Wylie, TX. No planning has occurred for this segment. Station locations would likely be located in downtown Murphy and downtown Wylie.

DART.org - Cotton Belt Public Private Partnership Request for Information

Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 PM

That's the thing. Wylie I know for sure is not a "DART City" and there has been no change to that. So far if the current plans go forward, by 2030 (maybe sooner) the Cotton Belt line will be operational, terminating at the Red Line. If at some point Wylie does join DART and wants to get in on this, I suspect it might not happen until after 2030, which is a LONG time away.

If it is implied that property values would go with a DART line running through Wylie, then I would agree so I do hope DART and Wylie come together and try to move quickly. I personally would love a DART rail line actually coming into Wylie because I would actually consider, from time to time, using DART to commute even though such a commute for me would require two trains, one bus, and then a short walk.

Today it requires one train, one bus, one short walk, and the real kicker: about a 10 mile drive from home to Parker Rd. Station (or Bush Turnpike station).

Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM

I am pretty new to Texas and just starting a new build in Wylie so as you might imagine I have been scouring the "internets" looking for anything positive about Wylie.... I am the type that always beats himself up after any purchase trying to decide if I made the right choice... I monday quarterback myself - did I get the best deal ? would this have been better than that...blah blah blah. I tend to continue doing so even when I am well beyond where I would be able to change it even if I wanted to. It drives my wife crazy because I can never just enjoy my purchase, I am always post-scrutinizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas