Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,347 times

Advertisements

Hello I am thinking of moving to mcKinney from the midwest. I see that the DART only goes as far out as Plano. Do you think it is a reasonable commute for work to drive to Plano then catch the DART to go to downtown Dallas? How long would such a commute take?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 PM

473 posts, read 1,569,276 times
That is a really long commute. Probably over an hour each way. No way I would do that.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Keep coming closer to the real city.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:28 PM

43 posts, read 121,672 times
It depends on how early you were leaving to drive to plano. But I agree in that it would probably be close to or over an hour each way.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:32 PM

583 posts, read 2,634,818 times
AGHHHHHH! I am in Mckinney--it would be a NIGHTMARE to drive from here to downtown Dallas. Your 2 options to travel from Mckinney to downtown would be 75--the worst highway EVER. 75 is only 2 lanes from Mckinnet to Allen, then a stupid HOV lane that make zero sense. The HOV has a barrier so it is hard to get into the lane and then OUT of the HOV. The N.Dallas tollway is nice--you will get back up as you get closer to Frisco, but with the price of gas plus a daily toll charge--Yikes.I know Mckinney has great home prices and all the houses are new BUT there are some really nice areas closer in. If you post kids or no kids, public or private schools, budget, we may be able to help you narrow down some really nice options. All that being said I would like to say I do like Mckinney. Actually I REALLY like it.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:12 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,434,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
That is a really long commute. Probably over an hour each way. No way I would do that.
OMG! i just think its so funny how some of you people make distances and times longer than they really are. Just because you do not like some of the northern suburbs doesn't mean that you have to make them seem like there so far away when they are really not(and yes I am talking to you as well...Lakewooder). McKinney to Plano(to get on DART) would be a reasonable commute and wouldnt take you very long. I also commute to downtown Dallas from Decatur and its definitely not a bad commute at all! I can be in Downtown Dallas in under an hour from here and be in Downtown Ft Worth in 35 minutes easily. I can actually be in Fort Worth in 20 minutes but it's a little farther to Downtown. In fact, so many people here in Decatur work in Dallas and Fort Worth that they carpool together and stuff. Being very close to Dallas and Fort Worth is definitely one of the pros to living in Decatur.

This is a forum for information about cities. People use this forum to get information on different cities, especially when they're moving and I am sure they DO NOT appreciate people posting INACCURATE information. So, if you do not know correct information about commute time and other stuff, then please dont post anything .

Old 04-25-2008, 04:16 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,043,433 times
A 1hr commute is right on the money. I would take at minimum 15 minutes to get to the DART Station and another 40-45 minutes to get Downtown. They estimates people are giving are correct.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:18 PM

29 posts, read 111,626 times
haha...people have different opinions on what they consider "far". I live in Plano and worked in Downtown Dallas for 2 years..it was just fine. It took me 45 mins to get from Parker to St Paul...but I had lots of time to read, snooze lol It didn't seem like 45 minutes to me, driving from plano to allen another 15 mins...so all and all you will be spending about an hour to get to work. But if you love where you live and love where you work...I don't think it will be that bad. Try it out one weekend and see how it feels

P.S you can always alternate driving dt...which if you are leaving an hour early you will probably miss most of the traffic around 6:45-7 is a good time to get on 75 ...you might like driving! but with gas prices...40 bucks a month is better than gas prices

Old 04-25-2008, 04:21 PM

937 posts, read 2,908,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan22 View Post
OMG! i just think its so funny how some of you people make distances and times longer than they really are. Just because you do not like some of the northern suburbs doesn't mean that you have to make them seem like there so far away when they are really not(and yes I am talking to you as well...Lakewooder). McKinney to Plano(to get on DART) would be a reasonable commute and wouldnt take you very long. I also commute to downtown Dallas from Decatur and its definitely not a bad commute at all! I can be in Downtown Dallas in under an hour from here and be in Downtown Ft Worth in 35 minutes easily. I can actually be in Fort Worth in 20 minutes but it's a little farther to Downtown. In fact, so many people here in Decatur work in Dallas and Fort Worth that they carpool together and stuff. Being very close to Dallas and Fort Worth is definitely one of the pros to living in Decatur.

This is a forum for information about cities. People use this forum to get information on different cities, especially when they're moving and I am sure they DO NOT appreciate people posting INACCURATE information. So, if you do not know correct information about commute time and other stuff, then please dont post anything .
I lived in McKinney for about a year and commuted into downtown Dallas daily. Sometimes I drove the whole way and sometimes I took the train. Each way was about an hour. It is a TERRIBLE commute. Sometimes it can be done in 50 mins or so and sometimes it takes over 1.5 hours. I know this for a fact.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:23 PM

937 posts, read 2,908,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsconfused View Post
haha...people have different opinions on what they consider "far". I live in Plano and worked in Downtown Dallas for 2 years..it was just fine. It took me 45 mins to get from Parker to St Paul...but I had lots of time to read, snooze lol It didn't seem like 45 minutes to me, driving from plano to allen another 15 mins...so all and all you will be spending about an hour to get to work. But if you love where you live and love where you work...I don't think it will be that bad. Try it out one weekend and see how it feels
Trying it out on a weekend will not give the OP any idea on what the commute would be like. The OP should make a trial run during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas