Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:14 AM

10 posts, read 10,403 times

Advertisements

First time home buyers trying to decide between Preston Hollow and Coppell.

House A: Dallas
Location: Private School Corridor; Just north of Thomas C. Marsh Preparatory Academy and just west of Tom C Gooch Elementary School
Asking Price: $485K
Sq Ft: 4 bd, 3 ba, 2300 sqft
Description: Remodeled open-concept. Large front porch under soaring trees, in secure back yard with 8 ft fence. Open and bright kitchen with granite tops, 5 burner gas stove and SS appliances. Beautiful solid hardwood floors, split floor plan with 2 master bedrooms, 3 full baths, flat screen tv wiring, NEST®, 2 water heaters, and sprinkler system. Updated with dependable high efficiency windows, doors, lighting, HVAC, roof, insulation & electric panel. Pre-inspected and appraised

House B: Coppell
Location: Just south of Vista Ridge/Music City Mall; Intersection of 121 and 35E
Asking Price: $450K
Sq Ft: 3 bd, 3 ba, 2,700 sqft
Description: Beautifully landscaped backyard with extended patio! Over $50k in upgrades from wooden floors to big bright windows and tons of entertaining space! Eat in kitchen with granite countertops, and not to mention the abundance of cabinet and counter space Flowing from the kitchen into the large living room with a cozy fireplace, you have all the space for entertaining you'll need! Master bedroom boasts a large walk in closet with dual vanities! Study with custom built bookshelf, half bath downstairs as well. Upstairs has 2 bedrooms jack and Jill bathroom, very spacious game room and media room!

We can afford both houses but trying to think about the return of investment. Neither would leave us "house poor". We would most likely not enroll our future kids but rather in public schools - Coppell has the upperhand there. However, Dallas seems to be getting better? And if we wanted to eventually move to the suburbs, we could hypothetically sell in Dallas easily?

As a very stressed human at the moment, I would appreciate some unbiased perspective.

Last edited by FirstTimeBuyer89; 01-07-2020 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Wrong name of neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 09:36 AM

19,782 posts, read 18,079,394 times
That first one is not Preston Hollow no matter what your realtor says. Regarding that area be especially careful about foundation issues.

Sorry meant to add the area belted by Midway-Royal-Hillcrest and Northwest Highway is a good working definition of PH.

The old town/hamlet of Preston Hollow was A. very small B. mostly east of Inwood and nearly all of it was south of Walnut Hill.

Last edited by EDS_; 01-07-2020 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-07-2020, 09:37 AM

10 posts, read 10,403 times
I know but was struggling to define that area. What would you call it?

Old 01-07-2020, 09:43 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeBuyer89 View Post
I know but was struggling to define that area. What would you call it?
It’s northwest Dallas. That specific group of streets may have a name but if I lived there, I would describe myself as living in NW Dallas.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That first one is not Preston Hollow no matter what your realtor says. Regarding that area be especially careful about foundation issues.
Isn’t that near the area that claimed to have had tons of foundation damage when they expanded 635 several years back? Maybe that was just the first couple streets close to the highway.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:51 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Marsh and TJ are pretty skanky. Don't know about Gooch Elementary.

And it's absolutely NOT Preston Hollow. Far as I'm concerned Preston Hollow's western border is the Toll Road though I'd be willing to go out to Inwood (since the Tollroad wasn't there till the late 60s). Not to Marsh.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:22 AM

19,782 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Isn’t that near the area that claimed to have had tons of foundation damage when they expanded 635 several years back? Maybe that was just the first couple streets close to the highway.
It's close. However, foundation issues in that general area predate 635 expansion by decades.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:48 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

And it's absolutely NOT Preston Hollow. Far as I'm concerned Preston Hollow's western border is the Toll Road though I'd be willing to go out to Inwood (since the Tollroad wasn't there till the late 60s). Not to Marsh.
I think the people on Strait Lane would beg to differ with you.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Posts like this just make you sound some combination of snobby and ignorant. Old Preston Hollow is MOSTLY west of the tollway (most of the way to Midway) and is arguably the most prestigious/expensive section of PH (huge, gorgeous lots). And as PP mentioned, Strait Lane south of Royal is definitely Preston Hollow and is west of Inwood.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:11 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think the people on Strait Lane would beg to differ with you.

I was at a party at one of those houses on Strait Lane last month. OMHG. Saying "they're large" is like saying "the Sun is hot", and it's not just their size, it's the work inside as well that says "no expense was spared". I wouldn't want to live in a place like that (it's too much for my tastes), but yeah, "upscale area". Good lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas