Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 09:43 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,417,134 times

Advertisements

Is this a joke? Of course Preston Hollow is many times better than Coppell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 10:36 AM

8 posts, read 7,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yep, I'm definitely unfamiliar with the area. I've only lived in Dallas since 1964.
How one lives in the area for 55 years and thinks PH ends at the Tollway is baffling.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:43 AM

56 posts, read 62,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Better in what way?

Old 02-04-2020, 11:12 AM

565 posts, read 561,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZMA View Post
How one lives in the area for 55 years and thinks PH ends at the Tollway is baffling.
Literally every preston hollow map (even the pre 1970 era maps) show preston hollow extending to either midway or close to it.

I love how instead of explaining why these maps are wrong the users goes "uhhh trust me i've been here since the 60s"

Old 02-04-2020, 11:18 AM

565 posts, read 561,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Blank statements without context are literally use-less (suprised a real estate agent even posted this comment).

His budget doesn't even allow for Preston Hollow (the house he listed was a medicore house in Northwest Dallas), the schools are signficanty worst, and his commutte would be worst.

LOL at "is this a joke"

Old 02-04-2020, 02:47 PM

18 posts, read 14,199 times
I lived in Coppell for a decade before moving to Preston Hollow for an easier commute and a big lot. Loved both, but they are very different places. Coppell has great public schools and all the kids go to them. Every kid on my block in PH went to a different private school, so a bit less of a community feel because of that. I did well investment wise on both houses, and both areas are very desirable for their own reasons. I'd say go with PH area if you have no kids in your immediate future and are not worried about schools.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:08 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,402,123 times
Quote:
Marsh and TJ are pretty skanky. Don't know about Gooch Elementary.

And it's absolutely NOT Preston Hollow. Far as I'm concerned Preston Hollow's western border is the Toll Road though I'd be willing to go out to Inwood (since the Tollroad wasn't there till the late 60s). Not to Marsh.
Surely Preston Hollow was named after a hollow, and the law of gravity would seem to indicate that the creek (west of the Tollway) ran through the hollow. And seeing as how we have a confluence of two creeks at the Jimmy Ling/Lamar Hunt/Gene Phillips estate, that seems like a good candidate for the location of the hollow. But I'm not a life-long resident like you.

What is the hollow? Bluffview has a real bluff after all. And while we're at it, where is/was the walnut hill?

Old 02-05-2020, 04:42 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,370,805 times
There are any number of creeks that traverse the area but have been buried in underground channels. At the time the town of Preston Hollow (briefly) existed, Preston Road was pretty much exactly where it is now; there was a creek running right across where St. Mark's is now (for many years the creek was right there on campus; for many more years after it had been buried where it crosses the campus it was still very much present in its natural state on the west side of Preston); and the town hall was in the building where the Ebby Halliday office is now across from Preston Center. Whether there was an actual "hollow" in a topography consisting of plains pastureland and crop fields, with the occasional tree-filled creekbed or draw, is a good question - it's just as likely some late-Depression-era marketer just thunk it up because of the way "Preston Hollow" sounded.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:48 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,417,134 times
Default Preston Hollow is a better location

The 3 rules of Real Estate are location, location and location. So Preston Hollow is a better location because it is in North Dallas and it is close to pretty much everything. It is also right off the North Dallas Tollway. I don't even know why I am trying to explain this. Preston Hollow is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryPlaza View Post
Better in what way?

Old 02-05-2020, 06:18 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,784,877 times
Quote:
There are any number of creeks that traverse the area but have been buried in underground channels. At the time the town of Preston Hollow (briefly) existed, Preston Road was pretty much exactly where it is now; there was a creek running right across where St. Mark's is now (for many years the creek was right there on campus; for many more years after it had been buried where it crosses the campus it was still very much present in its natural state on the west side of Preston); and the town hall was in the building where the Ebby Halliday office is now across from Preston Center. Whether there was an actual "hollow" in a topography consisting of plains pastureland and crop fields, with the occasional tree-filled creekbed or draw, is a good question - it's just as likely some late-Depression-era marketer just thunk it up because of the way "Preston Hollow" sounded.
This doesn’t change the fact that your original comment about Preston Hollow ending at the tollway and “maybe” extending to Inwood is objectively wrong and displays no actual knowledge of the history of Preston Hollow. I mean, you made a stupid comment and now you’re trying to backtrack or otherwise defend it. Give up and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas