Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 06:25 AM

108 posts, read 121,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
MW was never meant for someone trying to "survive" on. It's a place you start as a teen and work your way higher with hard work and education.

It's not that hard to get a starting job here now making $12-15 an hour. Amazon and others start at $15 and hire daily. I see help wanted signs at MC.D's here saying they pay $12 an hour to start.

OP you are in Houston. Stop telling Dallas what it needs.

People want to make good money? Stay in school, don't do drugs and work hard.
Hear! Hear!

I am a strong believer in a $0/hr minimum wage and let the markets dictate what a particular job is worth.

https://www.americanexperiment.org/2...-minimum-wage/
https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/milto...cial-thinking/

"The groups that will be hurt the most are the low-paid and the unskilled. The ones who remain employed will receive higher wage rates, but fewer will be employed."

BTW, before someone jumps on me, I know what it's like to work for a minimum wage; I came to US without knowing a word of English and went door-to-door raking leaves for something like $3/hr at the time. I knew right then and then that learning the language and getting an education is the way to move up in life.

Last edited by jarhead8286; 01-15-2020 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Added links

Old 01-15-2020, 07:38 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,277,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You fancied-up every bit of that in your head - presumably after a night of partying.
Incorrect, and incredibly rude, but that is par for the course for you, no?

"yOung pEople tHese dAys, alL aVacado ToAst anD ParTyinG, The tHing aBouT thIs gEneraTion..."

Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
VWG correted part of your emotional fusillade relative to the $9.00 - $10.01 spread elsewhere and you said, "I really don't care to be honest". That paints a Mona Lisa quality picture of how you operate.
As far as it being a living wage or not, I don't care. It isn't one way or the other. You only care because you want to be able to say "Um it is actually $10.01 vs $9." You love being able to be technically right, even if you add absolutely nothing else to the discussion. "It wasn't 100 degrees it was only 98.8" ........ok.

You're just a classic miss the forest through the trees type person. I mean, some things are horseshoes and hand grenades.

The problem with you EDS is you think you've got me figured out based on bias you have and the fact that I don't respect you. I'm sorry that you are so used to younger people sucking up to you to get good grades or a promotion or whatever, but I'm in that situation. Well, that and you don't seem out of touch, in general.

For the record, I've actually not argued for raising the minimum wage. I'm prob more fiscally conservative than you are, I just also happen to recognize genuine problems instead of trying to justify it by piddling around arguing about the difference of 2 unlivable wages.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 01-15-2020 at 07:51 AM..

Old 01-15-2020, 07:45 AM

3,858 posts, read 4,460,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead8286 View Post
Hear! Hear!

I am a strong believer in a $0/hr minimum wage and let the markets dictate what a particular job is worth.

"The groups that will be hurt the most are the low-paid and the unskilled. The ones who remain employed will receive higher wage rates, but fewer will be employed."

BTW, before someone jumps on me, I know what it's like to work for a minimum wage; I came to US without knowing a word of English and went door-to-door raking leaves for something like $3/hr at the time. I knew right then and then that learning the language and getting an education is the way to move up in life.
Nah. I disagree.
I too came to the US from the third world. Nigeria to be precise. Ironically enough, what you are preaching is actually practiced there. There is no minimum wage. Poor people literally work for pennies, and the rich get to keep pretty much all of their money. But that is Darwin's Law to the extreme. Being poor anywhere sucks but it is far better to be poor here in the US than over there. Here at least you can get some help through welfare. Dying in the streets from hunger or easily treated diseases is still relatively rare here. But not over there. I wouldnt want to see that re enacted here, and it will be if minimum wage is eliminated.

The simple fact is that there are not enough high paying jobs for every working adult in the US, no matter how great the economy is. Heck we are at an all time low in unemployment right now and there are still not enough good jobs. The minimum wage plus welfare is the only thing keeping the poor from some really hard times. I am aware of the flaws of minimum wages from an economic perspective, but hey sometimes you have to weigh the good versus the bad. I think the good outweighs the bad at this point in time. That might change later who knows.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:49 AM

40,976 posts, read 49,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Nah. I disagree.
I too came to the US from the third world. Nigeria to be precise. Ironically enough, what you are preaching is actually practiced there. There is no minimum wage. Poor people literally work for pennies, and the rich get to keep pretty much all of their money. .
Yeah, Nigeria does not have the Infrastructure, Corporations and the Job demand we offer here in the US or you'd still be in Nigeria working.

You're comparing Apples to Lizards.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yeah, Nigeria does not have the Infrastructure, Corporations and the Job demand we offer here in the US or you'd still be in Nigeria working.

You're comparing Apples to Lizards.
You dont think US Corporations would offer slave wages here if the minimum wage is eliminated? I think you place far too much faith in the good will of Corporate America if you believe that.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:54 AM

516 posts, read 453,870 times
I would have to agree that I don't trust many corporations to pay their employees fair wages if the minimum wage was taken away. The reason being is there are many companies that hire illegal workers so they can pay them less and not get any pushback by the employees.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:20 AM

19,910 posts, read 18,203,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
You dont think US Corporations would offer slave wages here if the minimum wage is eliminated? I think you place far too much faith in the good will of Corporate America if you believe that.
That would make sense if corporations didn't pay nearly everyone far above minimum wages currently.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:29 AM

5,956 posts, read 4,217,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Incorrect, and incredibly rude, but that is par for the course for you, no?

"yOung pEople tHese dAys, alL aVacado ToAst anD ParTyinG, The tHing aBouT thIs gEneraTion..."

Ok.
I think most of your posts can be summed up as "Ok, boomer."

If you don't want others to make unwarranted assumptions (i.e., the party thing) about you, maybe don't start the conversation with things like "Ok, boomer."

Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM

5,956 posts, read 4,217,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead8286 View Post
Hear! Hear!

Do you also support a strongly progressive tax system, then?

Unskilled human labor is quickly becoming almost worthless. There are simply not enough skilled labor jobs to provide one to everyone even if they did the stay-in-school route. So how are the millions of people who have low skills but are willing to work supposed to survive if they aren't paid a livable wage and aren't receiving sufficient government assistance?

Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Do you also support a strongly progressive tax system, then?

Unskilled human labor is quickly becoming almost worthless. There are simply not enough skilled labor jobs to provide one to everyone even if they did the stay-in-school route. So how are the millions of people who have low skills but are willing to work supposed to survive if they aren't paid a livable wage and aren't receiving sufficient government assistance?
And that doesnt even address the slow but steady erosion of the remaining high paying jobs that are still here.

I think most of you already know that Law has become a wasteland of unemployed grads with no hope obtaining legal employment.

As I've said a few times now, my wife is a nurse. She knows several fellow nurses who have gone on to obtain the nurse practitioner degree...only problem is there is presently a saturation of nurse practitioners, so almost all of those nurses are still working as floor nurses as there are few jobs for new nurse practitioners.

Pharmacy has become a no go profession. Way too many new pharmacists being pumped into the economy. Many of the big pharmacist employers (grocery stores, cvs, walgreens) have instituted pay cuts to their employed pharmacists. More and more stories of new pharm grads with no jobs but six figure loans.

In accounting (my profession) you can now take the CPA exam in other countries. The one protection american accountants had was the fact that the CPA exam was only offered here, and financial statements had to be certified by U.S. Cpas. Now that you can be U.S. certified CPA in say India...you can see where this is going.
Also there has been talk for a long time of using artificial intelligence to do a lot of the job of external auditors. I havent seen anything implemented yet, but it's coming.

And this doesnt include outsourcing, automation etc...I really wonder what this economy is going to look like for our kids/grandkids if you are not part of the 1 per cent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: