Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 11:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,499,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post
Your reply speaks volumes! BTW has anybody you know that has died ever take one penny with them? You are very wise and extremely frugal. Waiting for that rainy day and that retirement, right? Your heirs will be thrilled! lol
I don't have heirs. Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 12:31 PM

212 posts, read 283,281 times
That's it, that's it, there is a God! lol

Old 07-01-2019, 01:21 PM

212 posts, read 283,281 times
Sorry, headed for the Lagoon and beaches. RESIDENTS ONLY! Enjoy your extremely frugal life and amenities in Richardson.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:51 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,948,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
To be fair, what choice did Prosper have?

The ISD is good, which causes lots of people to move here.

When that happens, you got 2 choices: 1) build more houses; 2) put a moratorium on housing.

Option #2 is illegal. I know because other cities have tried it because they wanted to stay small. Developers took those towns to court and won.

Prosper has 2 options to pay for the schools: 1) raise home property taxes; 2) raise business taxes. Businesses won't open unless there's new residential construction.

I guess the real solution is for Prosper to trash their ISD, that way nobody will want to move there and then they dont have to build any new houses or schools.
You do realize that the ISD and the city are two different things? You do realize that the Prosper ISD goes well into the cities of Frisco, McKinney and Celina?

Who said anything about a moratorium on housing? What I mentioned was a zoning issue. Do cities not have a right to determine how the land is used in their borders? Does a city not have the right to determine minimum lot sizes?

I moved here 15 years ago but the in-laws have been here 15 years prior to that so I have been watching developmental patterns for nearly 3 decades out here. One sister-in-law and family moved to Prosper in the late 90s from Plano. One of the selling points is that it would remain semi-rural with larger lot sizes and NOT be another Plano. Seems that is no longer the case.

You do realize that decreased lot sizes and building more houses per acre is at some point a self defeating issue as far as school funding? You build more houses to get more taxes, those houses bring in more students so more schools have to be built. Build less houses and less schools have to be built.

There is that odd conundrum in Texas that the ISDs and the cities don't align. The ISD is stuck with having to deal with multiple cities and their zoning and development plans. Prosper ISD does have to plan about the denser zoning in Frisco and McKinney and Celina. So Prosper keeping their city less dense might still be overrun by dense zoning by neighboring cities.

But still, those that moved to Prosper 25, 20, 15 even 10 years ago are not getting what was touted about it at the time.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:30 PM

630 posts, read 668,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
But still, those that moved to Prosper 25, 20, 15 even 10 years ago are not getting what was touted about it at the time.
If you live in an area so obviously in the path of growth of sprawling suburbia, you can’t expect your rural paradise to remain isolated forever.. growth will eventually arrive.

You can always move to any number of stagnant small towns and rural communities with few jobs and poor schools. Those will remain unattractive so few newcomers will want to move in.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,926,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
!

"But but...amenities!" We already have parks and there's no way I'm swimming in a filthy public pool that other peoples' dirty bodies have been soaking in and that people have been peeing in all day. That's how you pick up skin infections. It's gross. I'd rather not pay for any pool that's not in my backyard.

Enjoy Prosper.
Agreed!

I read somewhere long ago that these are called " lagoons", not pools because they don't meet the cleanliness standard for pool. They use ultrasonic technology to clean the water just like your jewelry cleaner, nothing groundbreaking. They use very little chemical to sterilize the water. The water may look clear but who know what pathogens are in there.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:57 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,222,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
... there's no way I'm swimming in a filthy public pool that other peoples' dirty bodies have been soaking in and that people have been peeing in all day. That's how you pick up skin infections. It's gross. I'd rather not pay for any pool that's not in my backyard.
It’s surprising how privacy and hygiene are less important to folks than size of the pool.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,948,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
If you live in an area so obviously in the path of growth of sprawling suburbia, you can’t expect your rural paradise to remain isolated forever.. growth will eventually arrive.

You can always move to any number of stagnant small towns and rural communities with few jobs and poor schools. Those will remain unattractive so few newcomers will want to move in.
Of course Prosper officials saw the growth coming. The powers that be a couple of decades ago set up housing density with larger lot sizes and promised that that was their view a couple of decades ago and sold people on it. My SIL and family moved into Stone Creek subdivision off of Preston, one of the first developoments in the city. These aren't multi acreage lots with a totally rural feel but they are much larger plots thatn what the city has allowed in the last several years.

I never once said anything that would suggest that Prosper should remain a small stagnant town. The future growth map once said Prosper would have a minimum lot size larger than the burbs to the south and maintain a SEMI rural feel. I specifically used that term SEMI meaning growth would come but they wouldn't allow it to be another Plano or Frisco. Look at Gentle Creek and other neighborhoods on Prosper Trail east of Preston for what that looks like.

What is going in along 380 around Windsong is NOT that vision. The city fathers sold out.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:14 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,482,693 times
Quote:
It’s surprising how privacy and hygiene are less important to folks than size of the pool.

Well if hygiene is really that much of a problem, whatever problems there are with Prosper and this particular community will take care of themselves.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:07 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,222,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Well if hygiene is really that much of a problem, whatever problems there are with Prosper and this particular community will take care of themselves.
It’s not a matter of public safety, just personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas