Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 03:31 PM

11 posts, read 84,481 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a family with a 3 yr old kid moving from California to Irving late May.
My work place would be "Oracle" in Xerox center building at West Las Colinas Blvd. Zip code = 75039
I was wondering if you can recommend any good apartments preferably with some good things like as follows:

1) Good Indian community
2) Kid friendly -- preferably play area / play park inside the apartment complex
3) Washer & Dryer inside the unit.
4) Proximity to best preschools in Irving vicinity
5) Proximity to Oracle office in Xerox center building, West Las Colinas Blvd.

With many thanks,
Srini

Old 03-29-2008, 11:46 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
There is a huge Indian community located around Meadow Creek and Hidden Ridge Drives that circle a large park and lake in Las Colinas in Irving (zip 75038). There are several apartment communities facing the lake and within walking distance to an Indian market. Some of the names of the apartment complexes are Jefferson Park, Hidden Ridge, Kensington, Rosemont, Archstone, Remington Hills & Summer Bend -- all within three miles of your work location at 222 Las Colinas Blvd W, Irving 75039. (Sorry, not familiar with the preschools.)

You can check apartment.com, rentals.net or apartmentguide.com for apartment amenities. You can also use the google maps below to get a "street view" of the apartments and the area once you find the street address of the desired apartment complex.

Google Maps

Good luck on your move and Welcome to Texas!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-30-2008 at 12:01 AM..

Old 03-29-2008, 11:48 PM

30 posts, read 162,458 times
Srini,
You will be surprised with the number of Indians that live in the Irving/Las Colinas area. Almost all apartments in the area house a decent Indian population. All apartments come with washer and dryer connections but they rarely provide the units. You can however rent both units for about $35 a month.

Where are you from in California? I am thinking about moving to the San Francisco / San Jose area in the next couple of years. Can I ask you if you chose to move to Texas or is it due to employment?

Old 03-30-2008, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 207,530 times
All Californians move to or thinking of moving to Texas are because of cheaper housing in good schools areas.

if you are taking a Job a SF then all the best you cannot stay in SF as its going to be very expensive.you'd probably will have to stay in San Mateo/Mountain View/Fremont and take a BART or San Jose/sunnyVale and take Carltrain. You'd be better off taking a job in San Jose part of the Bay area but here also the housing is costly.

Also let me tell if you have kids going to grade 1 or above you might want to consider staying in Cupertino where in a 1BHK can around cost 1500 and 2 BHK will cost you any where between 1700-2000.

FYI... I stay in San Jose and this place has tons of Opportunities but expensive.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 AM

I forgot to add we are looking at moving to Dallas area for affordable living!!.to be able to buy a home being a single income family.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 AM

709 posts, read 3,472,546 times
You will be able to find many quality properties in the areas others have mentioned. Depending on what you want you may need to visit and drive through these communities to see what best fits your family. As others have mentioned this area seems to be home to many Indian families.

As for future home buying...you may or may not be able to find a home on a single income in this area. It totally depends on your income. The housing in these areas are high- end in regards to pricing. Many of the families I work with express this as the down side to living in the Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area. If they want a house many move to more affordable areas especially if they are one income families.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:24 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Well I think I would go to the Las Colinas area.
The Indian Community is largely present there (as well as southern Irving)
Las Colinas is a little safer, the larger Indian Markets are in Southern Irving. But In Valley Ranch and Las Colinas within a 5 mile stretch, there are 2 supermarkets for Indians.
one is called 'Indian Supermarket' (creative I know) the other one is called 'Swadeshi Plaza' ...i think thats spelled right...both on MacArthur bvld.
They're some local apartments, and if you chose the right ones you can be in walking distance of the supermarkets. The supermarkets aren't huge, they're a little bigger then your average convenience store. Even the local Walmart has taken to importing Indian good to appeal to the large asian population, Kroger too but i caters more towards the orientals.
The area is all about family, and has a big Indian population, the area in general is largely asian you'll notice. with Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, and Thai restaurants littering the area.
The best Schools in general are in Las Colinas and Valley Ranch, some Local public schools are even Majority Asian, or have been at one point.
Valley Ranch Elementary School, Irving Texas / TX school information
Freeman Elementary School, Irving Texas / TX school information
Las Colinas Elementary School, Irving Texas / TX school information

Old 03-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Hi sonshinelife: I'm looking at buying in the valley Ranch area, how much do you think I'll have to pay for a @2000 SFH. I work in the IT field and think will be able to afford something in the range of 200-275K.

Thanks,
Jay.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:06 PM

30 posts, read 162,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Patel View Post
All Californians move to or thinking of moving to Texas are because of cheaper housing in good schools areas.

if you are taking a Job a SF then all the best you cannot stay in SF as its going to be very expensive.you'd probably will have to stay in San Mateo/Mountain View/Fremont and take a BART or San Jose/sunnyVale and take Carltrain. You'd be better off taking a job in San Jose part of the Bay area but here also the housing is costly.

Also let me tell if you have kids going to grade 1 or above you might want to consider staying in Cupertino where in a 1BHK can around cost 1500 and 2 BHK will cost you any where between 1700-2000.

FYI... I stay in San Jose and this place has tons of Opportunities but expensive.
Jay, Housing is definitely cheaper in the DFW area. What I like the most about Dallas is that there are a lot of ethnicities, more restaurants than NY per square feet (don't quote me on this though), IT job market is good. The thing I hate most about Dallas is summer, it gets really hot here.

How long is the commute (by car or train) from San Jose to San Francisco and Sacramento. Me and my wife both work and bring in about $200k/yr, do you think we can afford a decent house in the San Jose area?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 PM

San Fransisco can be about 1.2Hrs at peak hrs one way and Sacramento is about 2+ hrs(off hrs, pick hrs do your math) so its not a good idea to stay in San Jose and work in Sacramento.

Housing hmm.. sure I think you'll be fine. SFH(1800 Sq Feet) can be around 700+K here in San Jose, Sunnyvale.

Town homes can be around 600K+ but it can vary depending on the location.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: