Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,530 times

Advertisements

I am so close on convincing my wife to move to the Weatherford area as soon as a job vacancy opens up. She is concerned about dangerous insects and snakes in the area. Has anybody in the area had any problems, and what kind of critters are we looking at?

Please help me get out of this bleeding heart liberal infested S*#@HOLE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 10:20 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
I've been here 25 years and have not has any problem with spiders or snakes. Have seen them yes but being aware is always a good idea.

We really only have 2 bad spiders. Black widows and brown recluse. I've never even seen a recluse in person. And aerosol hair spray will suffocate a black widow

We have garden snakes in our yard and a couple times a year someone in the neighborhood will run across a non-poisonous, non-aggressive rat snake that eats rodents.

If you get out by the lake there are cottonmouths a d water moccasins. But again I've never actually seen one in person.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:16 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wertman94 View Post
I am so close on convincing my wife to move to the Weatherford area as soon as a job vacancy opens up. She is concerned about dangerous insects and snakes in the area. Has anybody in the area had any problems, and what kind of critters are we looking at?

Please don't move here. We have enough people like you here already.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:32 PM

487 posts, read 467,007 times
Copperhead snakes and Brown Recluse Spiders are very common, as well as fire ants, chiggers and scorpions.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:48 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Please don't move here. We have enough people like you here already.
Is that your idea of humor?

Old 01-14-2018, 07:36 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Is that your idea of humor?
Don't think I could have been any more serious.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:49 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:

My mom has a home in Weatherford. She reports no issues.

The snake bite thing is such a non-issue around here..............most hospitals do not keep anti-venom on hand.

In Texas you are about 500 times more like to drown than die from a snake bite. Every year between 0 and 3 and - I think one year 4 Texas - die from snake bites. So far as venomous arthropods......every year in Texas between 5 and 9 people die from bites. Between the two you are literally hundreds to thousands of time more likely to die in a car wreck.

Unlike the other guy I don't have a left/right litmus test for new Texans..........Welcome to Texas! Further, I predict you will really like Weatherford. It's a neat place, a small country town literally a few minutes from the big city.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:29 PM

537 posts, read 597,625 times
You do need to be careful when it comes to animals like copperheads, brown recluses, and black widows. Take basic precautions like don't step or reach into tall grass where you can't see, wear gloves and long sleeves when handling objects in less frequented areas of the garage and attic. Don't keep clothes on the floor and then wear them (I got bit by a brown recluse by doing this - I was lucky because it wasn't a bad bite, I still have a small scar though). Keep up with pest control. Don't allow a lot of vegetation to grow right up against your house or keep piles of wood near your house. If you see a black widow or brown recluse, kill it and get pest control out asap. Sticky traps can help immensely because these kinds of spiders are often not as deterred by insecticide. At my old house I had a problem with brown recluses and caught at least a dozen of them a month with the sticky traps in the attic. Keep your house clean and make sure you don't have an issue with other insects that might attract black widows and brown recluses, or rodents which might attract copperheads.

If you have a copperhead problem in your area, don't let your dogs outside at night without checking the yard first. You can scan the area with a flashlight quickly to make sure.

One of my friends has some family that lives on a farm up near Sherman and they are bit by something nasty once a year or so. A copperhead bite almost killed the wife a few years ago and she was hospitalized for over a week. They came home from vacation after a week one time and a group of 5-6 black widows had taken residence in their kitchen sink. Black widow bites can be horrific experiences but rarely result in death or permanent damage. One of the people I worked with a couple years ago was bitten by a black widow after turning on an outdoor hose faucet at night with a bare hand - she was out of commission for almost a week and said she wanted to die because the pain was so unbearable. So do be careful.

If you follow some basic precautions and you live in an established urban or suburban neighborhood you should be fine and most people live in DFW without ever getting bitten by a snake or nasty spider.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:10 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:

For venomous snakes in that area you can see Cottonmouth, Copperhead, and even Rattlesnakes are indigenous to that area although not frequently seen.

For venomous insects you have the Brown Recluse and Black Widow spiders. We do have scorpions but they are not typically venomous but can cause some pain and severe allergic reactions.

Other types of critters we have are coyotes, bobcats, wild pigs, and Black Vultures (yes they can be a problem with small domestic animals). These can be problems to people, property, and domestic pets.

Everything above will typically avoid you if you avoid them and do not get near their lairs, nests, etc.

Now we do have a problem here that is very dangerous but it is a common beast found everywhere just about. They still have not figured out how to handle this one. This one is very aggressive and you have to be very careful as they are not afraid of anything and will approach you. It's called the Bloodsuckingpolitician!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas