Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 10:52 AM

511 posts, read 839,936 times

Advertisements

I'd thought I would consider Plano but it seems the houses I can afford are not zoned for the schools I want my kids at. So am thinking most zoned for Frisco/McKinney/Allen/Wylie/Prosper ISDs will have good to great schools, with the odd exception. Kids are in early elementary school so I have to consider ES/MS/HS ratings.

My budget is maybe $210,000, tops. I don't want a god-awful open floor plan so probably nothing newer than 1995ish ideally or anything older than about 1980 especially since so many people feel the need to remodel their galley/horseshoe kitchens to something open and they look asinine. I really want a settled, safe neighborhood. I work from home so need either four bedrooms, an office, den or dining room to use as an office. No less than 1400 sf (gack, so small but I have to be realistic). Because of the nature of my work, I prefer to live close to Plano in the event I lose my job or end up having to work at our company headquarters (in Dallas).

I have some credit challenges and am in the midst of a cleanup. I can currently get an FHA loan (my FICO scores used by mortgage companies are around 590) but expect I can have the middle score to 620 by end of the school year so hope to actually prequalify then.

We live about 120 miles away so I cannot just drop work and pop over to look at a house when one comes on the market. I was hoping to set up camp in a hotel for a week and put an offer in on the first house I can stand. Will I need to offer over the asking price? Are people still getting houses for under the asking price? Is there a snowball's chance in heck that I can actually manage this this summer and be moved before school starts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 11:03 AM

I should add that I am open to living elsewhere but prefer to stay within 150 miles maximum of Wichita Falls, as my mother is in the nursing home there. And the job market for network folks should be decent. It must be safe and the schools must be good (eg have a good G&T and honors programs).

Old 03-02-2016, 11:25 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,427,333 times
Quote:
I don't want a god-awful open floor plan so probably nothing newer than 1995ish ideally or anything older than about 1980 especially since so many people feel the need to remodel their galley/horseshoe kitchens to something open and they look asinine. I really want a settled, safe neighborhood. I work from home so need either four bedrooms, an office, den or dining room to use as an office. No less than 1400 sf (gack, so small but I have to be realistic).
Your budget, price range, and design criteria don't really exist. Ranch homes from the early '80s were already open floor plan, especially ones in your price range and size range. You want an older home, 1960-1970 or earlier that hasn't been renovated yet.

Some small homes in east Plano, east Allen, and east McKinney will have a few choices. Garland will have more.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Your budget, price range, and design criteria don't really exist. Ranch homes from the early '80s were already open floor plan, especially ones in your price range and size range. You want an older home, 1960-1970 or earlier that hasn't been renovated yet.

Some small homes in east Plano, east Allen, and east McKinney will have a few choices. Garland will have more.
I do see many houses from the 80s whose floor plans are not intolerably open, and occasionally the 90s. I cannot do east Plano because the elementary schools are execrable. I am not sure about McKinney but did notice it consistently in Plano. I cannot do Garland either. Allen seems like a good choice if I can actually time it all to be moved in before school starts.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:36 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,427,333 times
Quote:
I do see many houses from the 80s whose floor plans are not intolerably open, and occasionally the 90s.
Maybe so, but they will be over your budget.

Quote:
I cannot do east Plano because the elementary schools are execrable
No they are not. East Plano schools are better than any of the other places mentioned, in general.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:49 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,134,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Ranch homes from the early '80s were already open floor plan, especially ones in your price range and size range.

Most of the ranch homes in central Plano built in the late 70's up to 1990 are NOT open floor plan. The trick would be to find one for $210k, but they are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
I'd thought I would consider Plano but it seems the houses I can afford are not zoned for the schools I want my kids at.
Which schools are those? This home meets your criteria in central Plano, and has good school ratings, I myself went to Schimelpfenig.

3220 Anchor Dr, Plano, TX 75023 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

As you can see, it's definitely not open floor plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
Will I need to offer over the asking price? Are people still getting houses for under the asking price? Is there a snowball's chance in heck that I can actually manage this this summer and be moved before school starts?
If you bid right now, I would probably offer full asking price. Even when people were getting homes for under asking, it was like 2-3% under, max. Last time we shopped for homes a year ago, all the comps were showing sold for 98-99% of asking if they were under, and sometimes 5 and even 10% over.

You won't be getting favorable terms with a lender with your credit score, but if time is of the essence then it doesn't really matter. To be honest, I'm surprised you qualify for an FHA loan. We purchased our home just over a year ago, and even with credit scores in the 800's, we had to jump through hoops, far more than we ever had to do in the past, and that includes buying a home in 2010 in the midst of the banking/foreclosure nonsense.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:55 AM

8,163 posts, read 8,388,388 times
I am curious where the job location is.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,822,244 times
Impossible. Sub $250k is so rare these days, and if you find one, it will have an all cash + above ask offer within 24 hours of listing (unless of course it is a rare exception that is just in such bad condition no one wants)

Old 03-02-2016, 01:28 PM

537 posts, read 599,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Impossible. Sub $250k is so rare these days, and if you find one, it will have an all cash + above ask offer within 24 hours of listing (unless of course it is a rare exception that is just in such bad condition no one wants)
There are plenty of new construction homes available in Mckinney around/north of 380 under $250k, they are just smaller floorplans.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I am curious where the job location is.

I work at home and have for over four years. Company is headquartered in Dallas, employees are all over, and the customer I am currently supporting is headquartered in Switzerland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas