Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:41 PM

19 posts, read 25,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
You should definitely live in Uptown.

Mostly any Post or Gables building will do, but the closer to McKinney, the better for nightlife. McKinney Avenue is the hub of Dallas nightlife.

Gables Park 17 appears to be near the extreme far end of McKinney. Did I read right that there is a free shuttle/tram that takes people up and down McK? Also, I suppose bars are only a short Uber ride away on weekends if I end up at Park 17..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
That's the M-Line Trolley and isn't really intended as a traveling party. Just a hang over from days gone by. And it's noisy and clunky but will get you to the museum of art on a bright sunny day.

Looks as if its last trip south is about midnight Saturday. Its earliest Sunday about 10 a.m.... or maybe just my monitor unable to handle the multi-tasking.

I think you might be looking for something more between Routh at the south end and Lemmon at the north... maybe Blackburn. Depending on practice and intent. But yes, a short ride. McKinney covers a distance, but not as great as a map may look.

...what RJ312 says below

Last edited by metroxian; 03-10-2015 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 07:09 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWBadger91 View Post
Gables Park 17 appears to be near the extreme far end of McKinney. Did I read right that there is a free shuttle/tram that takes people up and down McK? Also, I suppose bars are only a short Uber ride away on weekends if I end up at Park 17..
You want to be within walking distance of the strip of McKinney between Fairmount and Oak Grove. Gables Park 17 isn't a good spot for that.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 PM

19 posts, read 25,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
You want to be within walking distance of the strip of McKinney between Fairmount and Oak Grove. Gables Park 17 isn't a good spot for that.
Thanks for clarifying. After spending some time on google maps street view it became apparent that Park 17 is kind of on an island way down there.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 16,767 times
I'm moving to Dallas actually next Wed from the Charlotte area. I'm 25 and selected the Uptown area as well. I have been lucky to commute back and forth from Charlotte weekly since January so I have been able to check out the city.

The two areas that I focused on in Uptown was Victory Park and West Village. I was able to narrow it down to 2 apartments. Skyhouse and 3700M. Both are excellent brand new highrise apartments.

I ended up going with 3700M. When I walked in, I knew it was it. Kinda pricey, but well in your budget. The amenities are amazing, much nicer than Skyhouse and closer to more restaurants, bars, and shopping. When I looked around Victory Park, I ended up looking on a game night that was hosted at the AA Center. Many of the roads were blocked off and I knew immediately that I wouldnt wont to have to deal with the traffic and congestion all the time.

I believe 3700M is offering 6 weeks free. Should check it out. Good Luck.

3700M Luxury Apartments | Located at West Village Uptown Dallas

Old 09-02-2015, 08:46 AM

21 posts, read 73,312 times
Hi UWBadger (by the way, fellow big 10-er here, I graduated from Michigan about 2 years ago) and youngpilot4ev, I was hoping you guys could post updates on where you finally ended up and how it's been so far?

Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
I like the Village because rent is cheap and that means extra money for traveling. I don't think there's anywhere else you can find apartments for $1.05 per square foot where you're not at risk of getting mugged. Given that, if you're looking for a nice/new apartment, they do exist in the Village but they're not worth the cost (you can either go Uptown or just buy a house and pay the mortgage).

Uptown was cool when I was 22 but I'm over it now--I can just Uber it the one or two times a year I end up on McKinney. However, I think it sounds like a good match for the OP given the "work hard/play hard" comment--though I would tell the OP that he might find that he has far too much of the former to have time for the latter.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:02 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
A resident was robbed and killed in the Gables Park 17 parking garage. It appears that she was coming home from work. She was still wearing work scrubs.

Is that apartment safe?

Justice for Kendra by Carla Hall - GoFundMe

Arrest Made In Murder Of Uptown Dentist « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Quote:
“During her interview, she admitted that she conspired with an unnamed individual for $500 to drive an unknown male suspect … and commit the offense of robbery,” the warrant said.

It goes on to say the unknown male suspect shot Hatcher and took several items from her.

A neighbor who didn’t want to be identified recalled what he saw and heard the night Dr. Hatcher, age 35, was shot dead inside her parking garage at the Gables Park 17 apartments.
There is more info in the link above. I can only include a few lines due to forum rules.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:25 AM

379 posts, read 366,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
A resident was robbed and killed in the Gables Park 17 parking garage. It appears that she was coming home from work. She was still wearing work scrubs.

Is that apartment safe?

Justice for Kendra by Carla Hall - GoFundMe

Arrest Made In Murder Of Uptown Dentist « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

There is more info in the link above. I can only include a few lines due to forum rules.
It's a city. One off things like that happen. It doesn't mean that the area or apartment complex is unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas