Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 01:37 PM

12 posts, read 24,774 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have heard very good things about Plano, TX. My company is not in Texas but they allowed me to work from home so I thought of moving to Plano, TX. Before moving, I want to make sure that it will be affordable to me. I have 90K salary. I do not want exact figures, just give me ballpark numbers so I can figure out my expenses. Please mention rent (2bhk), utilities and other expenses.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 01:54 PM

409 posts, read 1,044,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet_jasper View Post
Hi everyone,

I have heard very good things about Plano, TX. My company is not in Texas but they allowed me to work from home so I thought of moving to Plano, TX. Before moving, I want to make sure that it will be affordable to me. I have 90K salary. I do not want exact figures, just give me ballpark numbers so I can figure out my expenses. Please mention rent (2bhk), utilities and other expenses.

Thanks in advance.
I live in a 2500 sq ft home built in 97. We are energy efficient when compared to the average home in our neighborhood if you go by that graph on my electricity bill.

Anyway I burn 800-1100 KWH per month for electricity depending on time of yr which $45 - $125 per month
We have gas heating and stove which has anywhere from $14 to $65 per month depending on time of yr.
Our water & trash is consistently btwn 75-85 per month.

What other data are you looking for?

Old 06-29-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
I live in a 2500 sq ft home built in 97. We are energy efficient when compared to the average home in our neighborhood if you go by that graph on my electricity bill.

Anyway I burn 800-1100 KWH per month for electricity depending on time of yr which $45 - $125 per month
We have gas heating and stove which has anywhere from $14 to $65 per month depending on time of yr.
Our water & trash is consistently btwn 75-85 per month.

What other data are you looking for?

Thank you for quick response. What are rents for 2BHK in Plano, TX ? Also please mention what are 'the' safe areas in Plano, TX ?

Old 06-29-2014, 02:33 PM

51 posts, read 98,778 times
we used to live at Tennyson and spring creek at the Domaine apts. We paid approx. 1280 per month for a 2 bed apt. Most apartments in plano are not energy efficient so electric bills are quite high. We used to pay 300+ on some months and when we switched providers, we were still around the 250 range. Trash, water and other utilities were around 100-110 per month. we found the Tennyson and spring creek area extremely safe. Also the windhaven pkwy areas are the safest I have seen. Hope that helps!

Old 06-29-2014, 04:12 PM

409 posts, read 1,044,865 times
Quote:
Thank you for quick response. What are rents for 2BHK in Plano, TX ? Also please mention what are 'the' safe areas in Plano, TX ?
There is no such thing as a non safe area of Plano. I dont know if you have kids but if you dont I would not bother with W. Plano if you do not have kids. Central Plano is just as good and much much much cheaper. I live in W. Plano but it is all b/c of schools.

I only rented in the area 90 days before I purchased so I am not that good at telling you rents but I know they have gone up a ton. I had a 700 sq ft 1 bdr 1bth apt in 2009 at Highwood Apts in W. Plano and paid 695 per month.

Last edited by taroberts; 06-29-2014 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: to clarify

Old 06-29-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepika1977 View Post
we used to live at Tennyson and spring creek at the Domaine apts. We paid approx. 1280 per month for a 2 bed apt. Most apartments in plano are not energy efficient so electric bills are quite high. We used to pay 300+ on some months and when we switched providers, we were still around the 250 range. Trash, water and other utilities were around 100-110 per month. we found the Tennyson and spring creek area extremely safe. Also the windhaven pkwy areas are the safest I have seen. Hope that helps!
==========================

Thank you deepika for swift response. Electricity rates are quite high in Plano. Here in California, we usually pay $50 for electricity and no water and trash charges. Now Plano looks quite costly to me.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
There is no such thing as a non safe area of Plano. I dont know if you have kids but if you dont I would not bother with W. Plano if you do not have kids. Central Plano is just as good and much much much cheaper. I live in W. Plano but it is all b/c of schools.

I only rented in the area 90 days before I purchased so I am not that good at telling you rents but I know they have gone up a ton. I had a 700 sq ft 1 bdr 1bth apt in 2009 at Highwood Apts in W. Plano and paid 695 per month.
=================

Thank you, looks like utilities killing the deal. Utilities are way to high than other states.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 AM

1,156 posts, read 986,498 times
Quote:
=================

Thank you, looks like utilities killing the deal. Utilities are way to high than other states.
Yes, they are and you don't get to deduct utilities on your tax return. Then when you do have a home plan on shelling out significant expenditures on new HVAC systems, duct work after about a 15 year life. Gets costly given that heat or AC is almost always running throughout the year. Furnaces in CA have lasted 25+ years in the houses I have lived in because you only use them 3 months of the year and then really only at night before bed. Many costs as you think about your move here.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Yes, they are and you don't get to deduct utilities on your tax return. Then when you do have a home plan on shelling out significant expenditures on new HVAC systems, duct work after about a 15 year life. Gets costly given that heat or AC is almost always running throughout the year. Furnaces in CA have lasted 25+ years in the houses I have lived in because you only use them 3 months of the year and then really only at night before bed. Many costs as you think about your move here.
==============================

Thanks ! I have now cancelled my plans to move to plano. Many friends suggested me to move to Plano but seems like there are not so much benefits. It is really really costly for avg income. California is way better than Texas.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:22 PM

953 posts, read 1,829,978 times
Quote:
==============================

Thanks ! I have now cancelled my plans to move to plano. Many friends suggested me to move to Plano but seems like there are not so much benefits. It is really really costly for avg income. California is way better than Texas.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
That was quick. Wouldn't you want to actually spend a week here before deciding? Also, did you know Plano (and all of Texas) does not have any state income tax? I don't know where you live in CA because rent will depend on that location. Plano's rent will be at least 40% or less of something in the bay area. Yes, we do have higher utility cost but it is not even close to the other cost of living that you incur there. Again, I don't know where exactly you live in CA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas