Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:46 AM

12 posts, read 78,471 times

Advertisements

I looked through the archives and see a lot of conflicting info making it difficult to budget on a relocation...

I'm trying to best assess potential average monthly costs for electric, gas and water... I know some months will be higher than others depending on season, usage etc. It's an average over 12 months I'm looking for, not the highs or the lows.

Likely home approx 2500 sq ft in, 5-10 yrs old in Lake Norman area (Mooresville or Cornelius)
Family of 3
Basic usage w/ central AC in warm weather and heat in winter (not extreme temps), basic water usage for showering, cooking and lawn sprinklers no pool, extensive electrical consumption like power tools etc... just basic lights, fridge, TV, computer, hairdryer etc.

For comparative purposes, here in NY, I pay on avg:

110/mo for electric
160/mo for gas
50/water
Total: 320/mo

Currently, we are not home during day except weekends, but spouse may be home in NC and I know heating bills here are higher than NC, but will be offset by increased electrical consumption for central AC in warmer months.

Can you please provide your best, recent estimates ?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedfromNY View Post
For comparative purposes, here in NY, I pay on avg:
110/mo for electric ... 160/mo for gas ... 50/water ... Total: 320/mo
For comparative purposes...don't look at the DOLLARS being paid
Look at the UNITS that are being paid for instead.

How many Cubic Feet of Water over the course of a year? (then multiply by rate)
How many KwH of Electricity over the course of a year? (then multiply by rate)
How many CF/Therms of gas over the course of a year? (then multiply by rate)
What OTHER (and minimum) charges come with/on each bill on it as well?

Then... contact the providers for the consumption numbers at the addresses you like.
You can even ask the sellers for copies of their bills.

Quote:
I know heating bills here are higher than NC, but will (should be) be offset
by increased electrical consumption for central AC in warmer months.
It'll be really hard to be any sort of specific (vs anecdotal) without being specific.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-19-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 07:01 AM

12 posts, read 78,471 times
very fair feedback...and you're right. unfortunately I didn't keep last 12 months statements from each of my utility companies.

was just hoping some other guidance would tell me if I'd likeley be higher/lower or about the same from what I pay on avg. each month on Long Island in NY.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedfromNY View Post
unfortunately I didn't keep last 12 months statements from each of my utility companies.
1) That'll teach ya to throw away bills! 2) Go online and look. I bet they're there.

Quote:
...was just hoping some other guidance...
What else can you expect than (well meaning) anecdotes?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
Most properties in Charlotte are heated by natural gas. There is an excise tax, and a fixed $10 fee added to the bill. The cost per therm is adjusted a little based on seasonal factors.

But if you just multiply therms x 115% that'll estimate roughly what the bill will be.

My house is 1700 square feet (heated living area) and when I had a roommate and we were occupying the house more like a family would, the gas bill was about 250 therms at the peak. So, 250 x 115% = $278. I don't remember what the bill really was but I have a graph of the therm usage to confirm it.

I own a few rental properties which are smaller and older (1200 square foot range), with single pane windows. The tenants tell me their bills are around $300 in the winter.

Keep in mind, winters are SHORT here. You get one or two high bills and then they come back down quickly.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 08-19-2012 at 07:27 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
For comparative purposes...don't look at the DOLLARS being paid
Look at the UNITS that are being paid for instead.

How many Cubic Feet of Water over the course of a year? (then multiply by rate)
How many KwH of Electricity over the course of a year? (then multiply by rate)
How many CF/Therms of gas over the course of a year? (then multiply by rate)
What OTHER (and minimum) charges come with/on each bill on it as well?

Then... contact the providers for the consumption numbers at the addresses you like.
You can even ask the sellers for copies of their bills.

It'll be really hard to be any sort of specific (vs anecdotal) without being specific.
Well that's fine, but I think most people are concerned with what comes out of their pockets. Plus, there are so many taxes and fees that only comparing units used leaves out a chunk of money. My water bill, for instance, is about $7, plus $20 worth of other fees and taxes.

1600 sq ft not energy efficient tri-level home, single occupant. I like it cool, which saves the gas but jacks the electric bill over the summer:

$89 average for electric

$33 average for gas

$26 average for water/sewer

Old 08-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
...I think most people are concerned with what comes out of their pockets.
I spend less on gas for my car than my brother does.
Does that tell you anything useful?

Old 08-19-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I spend less on gas for my car than my brother does.
Does that tell you anything useful?
If I know what the two cars are, yes. That why I posted the size of my home.

The reality of the situation is that there are too many variables to get a useful answer without someone who lives in the same type of home posting up.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The reality of the situation is that there are too many variables to get a useful answer
without someone who lives in the same type of home posting up.
And even then, even with that data, there are still too many variables to conclude anything.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
And even then, even with that data, there are still too many variables to conclude anything.
That gets OP a lot closer to a useful answer than any other method I see here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte