Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM

23 posts, read 106,002 times

Advertisements

We're looking to relocate in the next year but Dallas has so many suburbs I'm making myself crazy trying to research them all. So here's some background on my family. My husband is in the IT field and will most likely have a job in Irving. I'm an RN, maternity is my specialty so a hospital that has a maternity ward is key. We both hate long commutes (want to keep it to 30mins or less) but I'll be working nights so I'm assuming it won't be as much of a hassle for me. We have a 1yr old daughter but I probably won't start working until she's old enough for preschool but if/when we decide to have another child I'll probably need some sort of p/t daycare. So a family oriented neighborhood with good schools is good obvioulsy. I would also like to be close to parks, shopping & restaurants too. We will most likely rent for a short while but want to start house hunting right away, our price range is around $250k. What can you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 02:40 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,277,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRN View Post
We're looking to relocate in the next year but Dallas has so many suburbs I'm making myself crazy trying to research them all. So here's some background on my family. My husband is in the IT field and will most likely have a job in Irving. I'm an RN, maternity is my specialty so a hospital that has a maternity ward is key. We both hate long commutes (want to keep it to 30mins or less) but I'll be working nights so I'm assuming it won't be as much of a hassle for me. We have a 1yr old daughter but I probably won't start working until she's old enough for preschool but if/when we decide to have another child I'll probably need some sort of p/t daycare. So a family oriented neighborhood with good schools is good obvioulsy. I would also like to be close to parks, shopping & restaurants too. We will most likely rent for a short while but want to start house hunting right away, our price range is around $250k. What can you recommend?
Ok, 30 minutes to Irving... I'd say Grapevine/Coppell/Valley Ranch/Carrollton/Lewisville even Plano is doable...

You should make a trip and check out this great Metroplex... It's over 3500 square miles and there is something for everyone!!!!

Come on down ya'll!!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,214,988 times
The large hospitals are inside Dallas. For instance my area is close to Baylor (5-10 mins) and not far from Presbyterian (10-15 mins). Medical City is just north of there. You could even reach Methodist in North Oak Cliff fairly easily. Also Parkland, Children's and St. Paul are not too far (and on the way to Irving).

The problem you would have with my area (Lakewood/MStreets or 75214/75206), which has pretty much everything you want, is that $250K is at the lower end. It is possible. I might also suggest Lake Highlands.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:57 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,159,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRN View Post
Has he already been offered something? Also, Lakewood and Lake Highlands would both be sucky commutes to Irving.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The large hospitals are inside Dallas. For instance my area is close to Baylor (5-10 mins) and not far from Presbyterian (10-15 mins). Medical City is just north of there. You could even reach Methodist in North Oak Cliff fairly easily. Also Parkland, Children's and St. Paul are not too far (and on the way to Irving).

The problem you would have with my area (Lakewood/MStreets or 75214/75206), which has pretty much everything you want, is that $250K is at the lower end. It is possible. I might also suggest Lake Highlands.
Only if she's happy living in a 1000 sq ft 2-1 fixer-upper, Lakewooder. I mean, come on; Lakewood is not a good fit for everyone. She'll get a lot more bang for her buck out in the suburbs.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,214,988 times
But she wants, "a family oriented neighborhood with good schools is good obvioulsy. I would also like to be close to parks, shopping & restaurants"

Also she will have a hellish commute to most of those hospitals from the suburbs. More bang for the buck there would only be for cookie-cutter square footage.

Besides I thought it was big of me to mention LH

Old 12-14-2007, 05:18 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,334,925 times
There are a multitude of hospitals in the suburbs, including Irving. I would expect every one of them to have a maternity ward.

Check out:
http://www.lascolinasmedical.com/
http://www.baylorhealth.com/locations/irving/ (broken link)

Old 12-14-2007, 07:40 PM

11,872 posts, read 26,952,124 times
If you want the big maternity wards, you need to look at Baylor downtown Dallas and Parkland. Those are the biggies! If you lived in Coppell, Hurst or Euless, the commute to these and to irving would be easy.

Avoid Lakewood. HORRIBLE commute to Irving!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
But she wants, "a family oriented neighborhood with good schools is good obvioulsy. I would also like to be close to parks, shopping & restaurants"

Also she will have a hellish commute to most of those hospitals from the suburbs. More bang for the buck there would only be for cookie-cutter square footage.

Besides I thought it was big of me to mention LH
Yeah, but you recommend Lakewood to everyone. And let's be honest, a commute from Lakewood to Irving would suck. Why not just plump for a nice, much cheaper suburb with better schools much closer to Irving?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:40 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,296,408 times
I live in Irving, norther Irving sounds like where you need to go. Las Colinas, and Valley Ranch are good. Coppell is the place to go if you can though, it where everyone like you is going :P...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas