Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:53 AM

6 posts, read 14,959 times

Advertisements

Yes, another moving to Dallas question. I recently signed with a group in Arlington. We have family in Lancaster but wanted to be arms length away from them. We have 3 small school-aged children. We are looking for GREAT schools and a safe neighborhood where kids can play in the yard without having 10 foot fences surrounding them. After looking through the forums and internet, it seemed that Southlake was a slam-dunk place to relocate. How does it compare to Flower Mound? Any other neighborhoods to consider? Nearby mod/upscale retail and grocery are preferred. Thanks in advance for all your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:12 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
What is your budget? And where will the job be?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 AM

@Squirl. We will probably rent at first to make sure we like the area. But the budget for buying will be in the neighborhood of $800k. I'll mainly be working in Arlington but may be doing a couple shifts per month in Flower Mound. I know the commute is along but I'm willing to drive 40 minutes each way. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 AM

I recommend Colleyville. Great schools, great location. Homes with some large lots. Very accessible to Grapevine and Southlake.

Flower Mound is kind of a pain for commuting. Shopping is not so great. Schools are good. I think Southlake and especially Colleyville are better choices.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 AM

Thanks. I'll look in to Colleyville as well. Is there part of Colleyville I should look in? I see that Keller ISD serves part of Colleyville. Which schools should I be looking for?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErMD View Post
Thanks. I'll look in to Colleyville as well. Is there part of Colleyville I should look in? I see that Keller ISD serves part of Colleyville. Which schools should I be looking for?
Use the CGISD, not Keller.....

Old 11-03-2013, 11:38 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
I agree. Colleyville will be a much better fit than FloMo. Definitely stay on the east side, and in GCISD schools.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:45 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,128 times
Colleyville is very nice and will be slightly closer to Arlington than Southlake. As noted, you'd prefer GCISD schools. Their metrics (1100 average SAT, V+M) aren't quite as good as Carroll ISD-Southlake (1150 avg SAT V+M) but that's because GCISD includes some areas that are not as affluent (certain parts of Grapevine and a tiny bit of Euless. Colleyville itself is quite well-off) while all of Carroll is higher income.

Southlake has better shopping than Colleyville, but Colleyville's isn't bad and it's a short drive to Southlake's shopping options if you want to go there. Colleyville is generally (IMHO) a little "quieter" than Southlake and seems to a bit more low-key. Southlake has a rep for being..."flashier", shall we say. Also, Southlake has a strong emphasis on athletics at its schools (the football program is one of the state powerhouses, for example) which can be a plus or a minus depending on your thoughts on that issue.

They're both excellent burbs. We looked in both areas when we bought earlier this year, and thought we'd buy in Colleyville but wound up in Southlake. Just the way things worked out.

You can always look in Flower Mound, but it's a longer commute to Arlington. Schools are also quite good (FMHS has a ~1120 avg SAT V+M, with a LOT of NMSFs as they have a program to emphasize that), and it feels "newer" than Southlake or Colleyville (although bear in mind that in DFW anything built in the 90's is "older"). Just a different ambience than Southlake or Colleyville.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,090 times
With that kind of budget - my rec is SL. A bit of a drive to Arlington though.

I know you're probably an ER doc based on your name... are you working with me at FM?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
Quote:
I agree. Colleyville will be a much better fit than FloMo. Definitely stay on the east side, and in GCISD schools.
Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas