Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:16 PM

261 posts, read 1,516,156 times

Advertisements

I will be closing on a house in 10-12 days and wanted to find out whats the best (less costly but reliable) internet service (and telephone) for home use. I will be having a home office so I wanted to start looking into this now so I can order the installation the day after closing. Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 07:29 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,936 times
Is verizon FIOS available in your area?

Old 11-14-2007, 07:33 PM

686 posts, read 2,437,284 times
Check the prices for Time-Warner....I know they do have bundles for internet/telephone.

Time Warner Cable - Dallas Texas: Cable Television, Road Runner, Digital Phone, PayXpress

Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 PM

583 posts, read 2,634,506 times
Our experience with Time Warner was very short lived--but DISASTEROUS. I use the term 'idiots' loosely with them. AWFUL customer service.
We are now with AT&T--we do a bundle pckg. which is cable, DSL (really fast will be my technical term for it), phone service, and cell. The web has all the pricing. Overall satisfaction is good.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
I will be closing on a house in 10-12 days and wanted to find out whats the best (less costly but reliable) internet service (and telephone) for home use. I will be having a home office so I wanted to start looking into this now so I can order the installation the day after closing. Thank you in advance for your feedback!
If Verizon fios is availble, I would go with that. They have a bundle package for DSL, phone, and TV. Fios is a really good quality high definition cable. You can probably include a cell phone with it too.

Verizon's fios cable isn't available where I live and I'm stuck paying nearly as much just for Direct TV, as I would for one of Verizon's packages. The real kicker, is I already have a Verizon DSL line, and phone.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:37 AM

438 posts, read 1,783,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
Our experience with Time Warner was very short lived--but DISASTEROUS. I use the term 'idiots' loosely with them. AWFUL customer service.
I am in the unenviable position of having to get TW broadband at the new house (closing today, yay!). No DSL, fios, etc. is available. Luckily, I normally don't have to call support on most 'net-related issues. As long as I can get an IP at the end of the cat5 I'm ok.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:47 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
I am in the unenviable position of having to get TW broadband at the new house (closing today, yay!). No DSL, fios, etc. is available. Luckily, I normally don't have to call support on most 'net-related issues. As long as I can get an IP at the end of the cat5 I'm ok.
Congratulations on your escrow closing!

Thankfully, I don't usually have to call customer support for net related issues either. My DSL has only gone out twice.......and, it was because a phone guy/gal cut my DSL line by accident.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:09 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,322,076 times
What is the local phone company in DFW? I am thinking it would be SBC - correct? I know SBC offers DSL and wireless - service packages.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:18 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,381 times
SBC, as an AT&T subsidiary way back when, chose to establish phone service in those established communities where typically they could lay square grids to emerging growth. They left the outlying areas to mom/pop telcos to fill in.

Most of Dallas and Fort Worth, the primary area codes of 214 and 817, are SBC/ATT. Much of the 972 area code is that fill in mom/pop telco, Verizon, fomerly known as GTE. Those areas outside of the Dallas city boundaries and Fort Worth city boundaries, including the mid-cities are Verizon, typically. Your area may vary.

Only some of the Verizon territory offers the FiOS, fiber optic phone/broadband/video service. They are converting their service areas throughout the country to the FiOS but will take time and lots of cash.

I understand Verizon is now offering this update...

Quote:
Dear Valued Verizon Online Customer,

This email is to let you know that we have revised the Verizon Internet Access Service Terms of Service (“TOS”). Please visit Verzion Online or look under the Announcements section of Verizon Central to review the revised TOS, as well as the announcement summarizing the primary changes. These changes will be effective as of the date set forth on the announcement. We encourage you to review these changes as they affect your rights and obligations under our TOS.
Quote:
8.4 Conversion from DSL Service to Verizon Fios Internet Service. At such time as Verizon is able to provision the Service utilizing fiber optic technologies, we may in our discretion terminate your DSL Service and no longer make DSL service available to your location. In cases of such termination, we will offer to you Verizon Fios Internet Service and we will disclose to you applicable rates and additional terms, if any, and such rates and terms may differ from the DSL Services provided under this Agreement.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 AM

11 posts, read 40,264 times
Default Verizon FiOS

We've had FiOS for 7 months now and are about to do something I never thought I would do--willingly change to TWC. FiOS is great when it works. But about once a month cable or internet goes down. You will wait over an hour on hold for service. If you're without service for a few days, that's no big deal for them. They will send someone out in a few days or mail (??) you a part that probably won't solve the problem. Once you talk to a live person, you will find them to be invariably very polite and so willing to commiserate with you about how messed up Verizon is. Billing is also a monthly adventure. You might get double billed. You might have to go through your bank to prove that you paid your bill then spend an hour on the phone wiht them before they acknowledge that you really did paid them on time and graciously agree to "waive" the late fee.

The phone service is very reliable--we've thoroughly tested it on hold with Verizon customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: