Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:38 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times

Advertisements

I live in Garland and I haven't been here that long (two years), but I was wondering where the lower priced recreation places are for two pre-teens. Our household income has changed a bit and I'm finding that I can't afford to put them in some of the activities I'm used to putting them in because they cost too much. I have a son that wants to continue his martial arts training and a daughter who loves to sing, dance, etc. I don't want to have to cut these activities out of their lives but I'm afraid that I won't be able to afford them anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 12:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I totally understand about the costs involved w/ dance activities. Both of my girls took 1 dance class each and w/ recital costume and fees it does add up. And some people had/have their kids in 4-5 dance classes A WEEK! You might try calling around to the various dance studios that have opened up and ask about fees. Soime may be lower than others. ASI Gymnastics opened up in Garland on 190 so they both do that now and it still is not that cheap ($65 a month for just 1 class). The city parks & rec does offer classes and they seem to always have just about everything so you might try stopping by one of the rec centers. They usually mail out a small booklet that lists all of the classes offered but I don't know when. Their fees will be much lower than a regular dance studio and martial arts studios. For your daughter that likes to sing you might try and find a church that she can get involved in that has a youth choir. Many do and put on performances. The costs thru the church will be much lower than anywhere else. What area of Garland are you in? I do know that Saturn Rd Church of Christ has a HUGE youth program as we know MANY people that go there. Also try First Baptist Garland and First United Methodist Garland both located in the downtown area. With Christmas coming up many will probably be starting to practice for their Christmas programs.

Good luck

Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
The city of Garland sponsers some programs and classes at any of the rec. centers in the city. What's available varies from one rec center to the next. GISD also offers some community education classes. I believe the community education classes meet at Garland High School.

Calico Kids has been around for years. They offer dance classes, and martial arts among other things. I don't think their prices are very high, I used to babysit some kids who took classses there and there parents did not have a lot of money. Calico Kids is located at Garland and Beltline in the strip mall next to burger street.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
I agree with the above posts... all great ideas! I do know the rec centers (Holford and Bradfield are the only two I can recall, but I'm sure there are others) offer a lot of classes... to a lot of age groups, so you might call and see what they have going on.

You might check with the YMCA also. Or, check around with the high schools and see if any of the kids would be willing to work with your kids (teens like earning a little extra money!). There are also recreational sports programs of all kinds that they could get involved in for nominal fees... which keeps them really busy... which is a really good thing (for Mom and kid)!

Good luck! Let us know how it works out!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:37 PM

Yes, the YMCA is on N. Garland Ave between Walnut and Buckingham and I'm sure they offer several programs. Other rec centers to check are Gail Fields on Dairy (one of the newest ones in the city) and Audobon. I believe there are several more.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:24 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, the YMCA is on N. Garland Ave between Walnut and Buckingham and I'm sure they offer several programs. Other rec centers to check are Gail Fields on Dairy (one of the newest ones in the city) and Audobon. I believe there are several more.
and Granger which is next to Central Park.

I believe there is also a YWCA in south Garland on Broadway.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
and Granger which is next to Central Park.

I believe there is also a YWCA in south Garland on Broadway.
Yes, Granger is another.

Did all of the YWCA locations close or just a few awhile back? I've driven past the location on Broadway a million times and could not tell you if it is open or not.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:51 PM
cj6

25 posts, read 144,849 times
I'm fairly new to DFW, but in my prior location the Universities and Colleges offered an incredible selection of dance, voice, martial arts. etc instruction to multiple age groups under their Continuing Education Departments at reasonable prices. As far as dance and voice, you may wish to check with any local theatre groups - they often have, or will know of, programs for local youth. If your daughter likes performing, getting her involved in 'Little Theatre' may provide her the opportunity to receive "on-the-job training" at zero cost...

YMCA, The Boys Club, etc. may have martial arts programs. I agree with the above posters that Parks and Recreation Commissions often offer a variety of programs at low-cost.

You may also wish to discuss the situation with your children's current instructors, they may be aware of or involved with other programs that provide quality, lower-cost options.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
also check to see if any of the places have scholarship programs. you may be able to get 1/2 price tution etc...
I know when my husband changed jobs we were really strapped for money and I was surprised to find out most places offered 1/2 price tution etc... for classes. You will have to fill out form etc... but to us it was very worth it!

Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 AM

4 posts, read 38,830 times
My kids like to act in SHSU's theater productions. Great if you like singing and dancing, not for martial arts. It's free and fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: