Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 AM

68 posts, read 83,649 times

Advertisements

I had a thread the other day, but somehow it's gone. We're currently in Michigan. My wife is an IT Director, I'm an author-speaker-talk show host. I've began the process of looking into on air jobs in Dallas, my wife not so lucky. The great thing about this is hearing from those who live and work in Dallas, I think you get better information. We don't have a Dallas address, is this causing the problem in no response to her? She is in contact with In Source, a recruiting firm in Dallas, but nothing yet. Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,485,639 times
What size organization does the Direct IT for? And what exactly does she do in her job. Dallas is a great market for IT, but there are a lot of talented personnel here with a bunch of engineering back ground. If her concentration is more in accounting/IT, she is going to have a much harder time finding a job.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Hi Bencronin04. She has a broad background in IT Mgt. Programming, management services, Industry standards. She's responsible for the land system division of a military contractor. No accounting, that's the best I can offer in terms of her job title, Bencronin04. The organization is very large, she's been in it for 12 years.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 PM

257 posts, read 552,589 times
There are several government contractors here that would probably like to have her industry experience (especially if she has a security clearance). Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Bell Helicopter and L-3 all have a strong presence in the DFW area. However, with defense spending cuts/sequester, I'm not sure the hiring is all that strong right now. IT recruiters would probably know.

Is she on LinkedIn? I get a lot of recruiter contact through that site for jobs that are never posted publicly.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneylightning View Post
Hi Bencronin04. She has a broad background in IT Mgt. Programming, management services, Industry standards. She's responsible for the land system division of a military contractor. No accounting, that's the best I can offer in terms of her job title, Bencronin04. The organization is very large, she's been in it for 12 years.
Verizon has government contracts and does have an HQ in Irving, Tx (former GTE), and a network OPS facility at DFW.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 14,604 times
There are lots of good IT jobs in the Dallas area. In fact, I know companies that are having a tough time finding the right people to fill open positions.

How is she searching for jobs? Linked-In is a good resource for IT job listings, or just start identifying local companies and checking their website. Lots of companies don't list with the big job engines.

Another thought is to make sure her resume is in good shape and presents her experience in a generalized way, and include a cover letter that explicitly states that she is relocating to Dallas for family reasons (or similar).

Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmab View Post
Is she on LinkedIn? I get a lot of recruiter contact through that site for jobs that are never posted publicly.
^^THIS, and also check out Dice.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM

Hey, thanks everyone! This is much appreciated, very kind. She's on linked on now, and will explore other means of finding employment. I've been to Dallas on speaking events and love it, you've got a great city. Is it worth calling recruiters, or just stick with on line venues?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneylightning View Post
Hey, thanks everyone! This is much appreciated, very kind. She's on linked on now, and will explore other means of finding employment. I've been to Dallas on speaking events and love it, you've got a great city. Is it worth calling recruiters, or just stick with on line venues?
If she is struggling to find a position, recruiters are a worth while time investment. Just realize that some of them know very little to do with the IT market so she needs to look into the position they are offering and not just go off their word(their trying to land commission). Also she would want to try and make sure the position is not a contract position, unless that is the type of work she is interested in.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:24 AM

Yeah, Bencronin04...Contract is exactly what she does not want. She's spent the last 48 hours on Linked In, appears to be pretty optimistic something good will come from it, just not very immediate. Detroit is in much trouble, many are looking elsewhere, an article in a local paper was talking about the purge from here into North Dakota. Ugh!! The Mayor who's mainly responsible for the city's current woes, once leaving confinement, moved to Dallas!! I'm relatively certain I've landed an on air spot, so we're halfway home.....Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas