Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times

Advertisements

Well, we signed a lease this past weekend on a place to live for the next year when we move to Dallas. The paperwork provided by our management company/leasing office shows one provider each to contact for Electricity, Cable/Satellite and Internet.

I know electricity in TX is deregulated and there are multiple providers, much like TV & Internet. So my question is, should I interpret these offerings to be the management companies preferred (but not necessarily exclusive) providers, or is it likely that the management company has contracted somehow with these specific providers for all their residents to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 AM

551 posts, read 1,099,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Well, we signed a lease this past weekend on a place to live for the next year when we move to Dallas. The paperwork provided by our management company/leasing office shows one provider each to contact for Electricity, Cable/Satellite and Internet.

I know electricity in TX is deregulated and there are multiple providers, much like TV & Internet. So my question is, should I interpret these offerings to be the management companies preferred (but not necessarily exclusive) providers, or is it likely that the management company has contracted somehow with these specific providers for all their residents to use?
Is this a house or apartment? Do you get billed for power and internet through you mgt company or directly with the provider?

For electric you should be able to choose any provider you would like. Good site for comparing rates:
Power to Choose

For internet/tv you may have only one option if it is an apartment complete. It depends on who services that complex. There is satellite also if you are allowed to put up a dish.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 AM

It's an apartment. I actually spoke to them today. They did say that power is open to any available provider in the area. They only have some DirecTV provider wired in the complex right now, but Uverse is supposed to set up early next year as well. They also mentioned 3 internet providers, so that made me feel better!

Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
TXU is the major elec generator in Texas. Most of the companies in 'Power to Choose' are re-sellers of TXU. Many will offer alternatives to include with the TXU generation, such as wind.

TXU has an interesting offer of the power charge based on the current price of natural gas. I think I'm paying something around 9 or 10 cents kwh right now. It's a monthly agreement, I can switch to a long term contract or move on to a different billing company.

TXU Energy MarketEdgeSM

Right now it's open window days so my elec bill is fairly cheap.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM

From a quick scan, it looks like we can get around 8.8 cents/kwh with Frontier on a 12 month fixed rate term. Is Frontier a decent provider??

Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
I signed on with Pennywise a few months ago and got under 8 cents per kwh with an 11 month deal.

Verizon is providing tv and internet and land line to my home, I am pleased with the picture and speed of their services. Uverse wasnt an option where I live in Plano, we had it in Houston and my wife still misses it 2 years later.

Welcome to Tx and good luck

Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I signed on with Pennywise a few months ago and got under 8 cents per kwh with an 11 month deal.

Verizon is providing tv and internet and land line to my home, I am pleased with the picture and speed of their services. Uverse wasnt an option where I live in Plano, we had it in Houston and my wife still misses it 2 years later.

Welcome to Tx and good luck
Thanks! Hmm... I'll have to look Pennywise up separately (didn't show as an option on my zip code search-maybe they're not in that area).

EDIT: Ah - found their website & did a search. Not sure what my partner is going to want to do about shorter terms, will need to discuss. Wonder why shorter terms are cheaper for electricity, when in most other services, one gets better deals for longer terms by staying with a given provider longer??

Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
From a quick scan, it looks like we can get around 8.8 cents/kwh with Frontier on a 12 month fixed rate term. Is Frontier a decent provider??
All they do is bill you. As explained above, they are a reseller and don't generate the power or own the lines it is delivered over.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
A heads up for your research... Utility bills will/may have two separate charges. One will be your charge per kwh, and additional charge for transmission and delivery utility - TDU. So, for your own peace of mind, find out if the billing you will expect is inlcusive of the TDU or will your billing agent be charging for both kwh and TDU.

TDU Delivery Charge: What Is It, and Why Is it On My Electric Bill? | Spark Energy Blog

Fees - TrueCost Electric Portal
Quote:
Every electric customer must pay the TDU delivery charge, regardless of whether they choose an alternative electric supplier or not. You’ll probably be able to get cheaper electricity if you switch to an alternative electric supplier, but the TDU delivery charge will stay the same.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,538 times
I renewed my 7.3/Khw contract with Reliant for 6.9/Kwh for 4 months, In April I will look for a 12 month contract. The time of year that you sign for electricity is very important in Texas as our consumer friendly electricity providers like to gouge in the summer.

I like Reliant because they offer some real benefits to manage your electricity including alerts when you go 25% over your normal average and how you compare to your neighbors.

By the way do not come off a contract month to month if I had not renewed I would be looking at 69% more than my old plan or 12.3/kwh. Be careful and review the company as we have had some who offered a great contract and than went out of business when natural gas prices went up substantially.

Even though most companies are resellers TXU or now Oncor has had no problems taking advantage of its customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: