Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 AM

263 posts, read 414,059 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

After some searching, we rented this nice 2br with Lake Carolyn views from all rooms in Las Colinas and are excited to move there in a few weeks time from the New York area. It also satisfies our need to be close to DART - this complex is 5 minutes walk from the new Orange line station that starts late July - and we both will be within a 30 minute DART ride to our places of work.

Now we are selecting utilities online and the options we have for electric providers at powertochoose.com include:

Amigo for 12m at 7.6c per kwh

Pennywise for 12m at 7.6

Southwest Power and Light for 12m at 8.0

TXU for 12 m at 8.4

besides many others.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the above providers and have recommendations? We both are busy people and prefer a provider with few hassles and autopayment options, even if slightly more expensive.

We are a family of 2 with a toddler and we will be out of the house 7.30am to 6pm during weekdays and this is a 1250 sq ft apt. I know there are a lot of variables involved, but typically how much energy would such an apt consume per month (> or < 1000kwh?), since the rates differ. I believe the apt uses electric for cooking, and we do a moderate amount of cooking.

Also, which is a better provider between Time Warner and ATT for high speed internet? We are heavy internet users and are not interested in bundled TV or phone packages.

Thanks for reading and your time, and sorry for all the Qs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,598,247 times
Quote:
We both are busy people and prefer a provider with few hassles and autopayment options, even if slightly more expensive.
Keep in mind that means you need to stay on top of your bank account and you will have a disadvantage when disputing any charges. I'm not a fan of direct debits.

Quote:
Also, which is a better provider between Time Warner and ATT for high speed internet? We are heavy internet users and are not interested in bundled TV or phone packages.
I just started another thread on this for Coppell, check it out. Time Warner looks to be the cheapest from what I've found so far, though I would prefer Verizon if they weren't so expensive.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,263,988 times
I've used TXU for a number of years with no problems whatever. In addition to your 8.4c per kwh, there will also be a TDU charge (Transmission and Distribution), and taxes. I also use one credit card dedicated to utility payment (water, gas, elec, cable, etc). Therein for all my utilities, I receive one itemized bill. There is no extra charge for that process.

If you haven't rented as yet, check for direction of outside walls. A west wall with no shade, or upstairs, or large windows is going to cost you more than an east wall. Just think of 'west' as a blast furnace, rent accordingly.

Although I no longer live in Dallas I did use - and continue - TimeWarner for cable/internet with no problems. I've discontinued TV and phone options and use only internet. I requested the 3 meg download but was offered the 10 meg for the same price, $30 month for a year. So at the end of the year I'll ask again for the 3 meg. I do stream a lot, there are no caps. However, be sure to read the fine print... the 10 meg pkg - or more - includes a speed 'burst'. That burst will function for the first 5 or 10 megs of download, then resume normal subscribed pipe. < Just so you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: