Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
I'm Desi (ABCD to be precise, I'm sure you know what that means) and I live in Wylie (moved here from California in 2009, purchased home built in 2005, 6 bdrm, 3.5 bath, 3700 sq ft for $210k) and it's all good, very accepting. Last couple of years the football team at Wylie High School even had a WR named Krishna Maharaj. It's accepting of Indians and more Indians are moving there as they find out it's very close to Murphy, but cheaper than Murphy.
We are in the same boat. We are indo american and while I def want my children to learn their heritage and background, (I also plan on doing some volunteer work at our temple). I dont want to live in "little india" either!! I am originally from southern cali and hubby is a new yorker. We plan on doing a looksie in march or april. We have three kids so schools are really a top priority. I dont mind living out in the burbs as long as we have choices and facilities of good shopping, grocery stores, drugstores and the like. Where we are know it takes 30 minutes to get to the nearest mall in one direction and 45 minutes in the other direction. 15 minutes to a cvs or rite aide.

Not interested in living out in the boonies!!

So far we have narrowed it down to frisco/plano/floMo/Allen. We would like to live within an hour to the airport as my husband may need to travel.

I would love to spend 210k for a house of that size!!! Sounds like a great deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,864,410 times
Welcome to the area.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvww View Post
I am retired and planning to move to Wylie or Sachse from New York. My wife and I are Indian-American.

How much ethnic diversity should I expect? Will there be any resistance or unkind attitudes in these areas because of my ethnicity?
You won't see much "diversity" (whatever that means to you) in either area. We're used to seeing Indians around here so I wouldn't expect you to have any trouble there.

Quote:
Which neighborhoods are more or less diverse? If you can comment about any of these neighborhoods, please let me know what you think:

Lakeside Estates, by Springwell Parkway and 544
Woodbridge, on either side of 78

Any other neighborhoods that are diverse with no racism or discrimination, where I can buy an existing one story house, newly built within the last 10 years (this is new by New York standards), for about $200K or less?

Thank you.
New areas in DFW tend to be overwhelmingly white. That's just a fact. If you're looking for a neighborhood with a large Indian population, say so. If that's what you're after, you won't find it in Wylie or Sachse. Indians tend to cluster together and the largest communities are in Plano and the Valley Ranch area of Irving. Since you're retired and don't have a commute to worry about and if being around Indians is important to you, you should look there.

As for an area with no racism or discrimination...there is no such thing anywhere on Earth. However, it's 2012 in Dallas too and our foreign-born population has exploded in the last ten years. We're used to it down here. You won't have any problems.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 AM

98 posts, read 427,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You won't see much "diversity" (whatever that means to you) in either area.
"Won't see much diversity?!?!!" I'm going to have to respectfully disagree! I LIVE in Wylie right by FM 544/Springwell, and our neighborhood is VERY diverse, which I love! Plenty of Indian families. The houses are beautiful & affordable (esp. considering we moved here from Southern California). I don't know where people get this crazy idea that Wylie isn't diverse! Perhaps that was true at some point, but it isn't now.

Whatever area you choose, wishing you & your family the best!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMama View Post
"Won't see much diversity?!?!!" I'm going to have to respectfully disagree! I LIVE in Wylie right by FM 544/Springwell, and our neighborhood is VERY diverse, which I love! Plenty of Indian families. The houses are beautiful & affordable (esp. considering we moved here from Southern California). I don't know where people get this crazy idea that Wylie isn't diverse! Perhaps that was true at some point, but it isn't now.

Whatever area you choose, wishing you & your family the best!

https://www.city-data.com/city/Wylie-Texas.html

I wouldn't call this very diverse.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Sachse-Texas.html

Even less diverse.

To me, a neighborhood of mostly white people with a few Indian families isn't "diverse". It's not diverse in the same way that south Dallas isn't diverse, with neighborhoods of nearly 100% black or 100% Hispanic residents. That isn't diverse.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Wylie-Texas.html

I wouldn't call this very diverse.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Sachse-Texas.html

Even less diverse.

To me, a neighborhood of mostly white people with a few Indian families isn't "diverse". It's not diverse in the same way that south Dallas isn't diverse, with neighborhoods of nearly 100% black or 100% Hispanic residents. That isn't diverse.
Wylie and Sachse are in the process of diversifying and will be diverse in the very near future. I think betting on their diversity is a very sure thing. Look at the stats below:

Wylie:

2000: 85.1% White
2010: 61.7% White

The growth is coming Asian, Black, but primarily Hispanic. Give it 10 more years and you will be singing a different tune.

US2010

The data for Sachse isnt available from 2000, but based on ACS data, there growth there is coming evenly from White, Asian, and Hispanic.

Look at Murphy and Plano. Both undeniably diverse places. They werent always that way.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Wylie and Sachse are in the process of diversifying and will be diverse in the very near future. I think betting on their diversity is a very sure thing. Look at the stats below:

Wylie:

2000: 85.1% White
2010: 61.7% White

The growth is coming Asian, Black, but primarily Hispanic. Give it 10 more years and you will be singing a different tune.

US2010

The data for Sachse isnt available from 2000, but based on ACS data, there growth there is coming evenly from White, Asian, and Hispanic.

Look at Murphy and Plano. Both undeniably diverse places. They werent always that way.
*shrug* To be honest I don't really care, and "diversity" means different things to different people. I find that often, people here request a "diverse" neighborhood when they are non-white and what they want is a neighborhood of mainly people like themselves, whereas when white people are requesting a "safe" neighborhood, what they really want is a neighborhood full of white people.

I live in Richardson, a suburb more diverse than Wylie or Sachse, and it's still almost 60% white. The vast majority of non-white residents of Richardson are Hispanic, which is the case in other areas too.

Again, I wouldn't classify an area that was formerly 80% white and is now 60% white/20% Hispanic as "diverse". But you're free to define "diversity" however you like.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Again, I wouldn't classify an area that was formerly 80% white and is now 60% white/20% Hispanic as "diverse". But you're free to define "diversity" however you like.
You missed the whole point of my post which was spelled out pretty clearly in the first sentence:

"Wylie and Sachse are in the process of diversifying and will be diverse in the very near future."

Im not saying they are right now, but they are headed that direction fast. They will be diverse shortly.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
You missed the whole point of my post which was spelled out pretty clearly in the first sentence:

"Wylie and Sachse are in the process of diversifying and will be diverse in the very near future."

Im not saying they are right now, but they are headed that direction fast. They will be diverse shortly.
Sorry, I don't see it. DFW as a whole is a very balkanized place, i.e. people tend to stick to their own.

How do you define diverse? Personally I wouldn't classify most suburbs of Dallas, if any, as particularly diverse. Richardson is more diverse than most and is actually more diverse than the average American city, but I still don't see it as particularly diverse. The city of Dallas is probably the most diverse city/town in the Metromess IMHO.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,658 times
For me personally, no matter what neighborhood I end up in I just want to be in a neighborhood filled with working, educated, polite and good families that will take care of their home and look out for their neighbors. I for one would not want to live somewhere shady, Run down, filthy and crime ridden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: