Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 12:47 PM

104 posts, read 143,909 times

Advertisements

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima and will be holding on to this car for a while until I can pay for my next car in cash( bmw 5series)...So I need some recommendations for air conditioning issues and possible transmission mechanics in the area..Not looking to paying for a name and service that I will have to refix..The highest price is not always the best..I am not looking to take it to a dealership either since the labor and parts will most likely be marked up...

Thanks in advance.. also if you have some names that I should certainly stay away from that would be great too.

We live in Plano..Willing to drive for great work for a great price...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 03:23 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,712,244 times
years ago when I was determined not to use the dealership, I was happy with Pep Boys.....the one I used was in Arlington, but I recall they had great prices back then and kept my car running forever. I was doing the same thing you are...haven't taken out a loan on a car in about 15 years. Just keep saving like you are making car payments even after you get that beemer...

Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 PM

270 posts, read 588,302 times
I'll send you a PM of a very ethical and honest mechanic. He has been working on cars for years, but his business grew so much that he quit his full time position to meet the demand.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM

19,896 posts, read 18,180,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIKA0126 View Post
I have a 2006 Nissan Altima and will be holding on to this car for a while until I can pay for my next car in cash( bmw 5series)...So I need some recommendations for air conditioning issues and possible transmission mechanics in the area..Not looking to paying for a name and service that I will have to refix..The highest price is not always the best..I am not looking to take it to a dealership either since the labor and parts will most likely be marked up...

Thanks in advance.. also if you have some names that I should certainly stay away from that would be great too.

Parts will be marked up virtually everywhere you go. That's just the way it is-.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:43 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,443,886 times
I went to Courtesy Nissan to fix our AC on the Xterrible and they were quick and didn't try to jerk us around at all. We had 4 estimates, one of them wanted $1200 for a new compressor, two of them wanted over 2000 for new parts to completely rebuild the AC system, and then we got CN's estimate of $500 to replace 2 hoses that were cracked and leaking. One afternoon later and it has been working for months.

Definitely get multiple estimates and multiple opinions.

Also check to see if your car has a "thermistor" or a "thermo controller" - they are sensors under the glove box that go out a lot on mid 2000's nissans. Ours died a long time ago, it's only a 50 dollar part and you can do it yourself if you want, otherwise it's a couple hundred for labor.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,127,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIKA0126 View Post

Chuck's Automotive in McKinney. Give them a call and get an estimate, you'll be glad you did, trust me.

You can also buy parts online from Amazon or somewhere to save money, and they will install your customer supplied parts. The only caveat with that is they will not warranty it then.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,773 times
I had a major repair on a 1997 Nissan Pick up - Cost $1500, and I had a little bit of Buyers Regret after getting the Truck back. Turns out I may have had more options, specially when money is tight.
I d suggest getting at least 3 estimates. then review these and take time to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas