Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 AM

9 posts, read 16,107 times

Advertisements

Any NYC Metro, Philly Metro or NJ natives in Dallas?

If so, how do you like living in Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,687,342 times
We are originally from Greenwich ,Ct and love living in north Texas.We moved for a job transfer and built a new house in Prosper.Best thing we ever did....

Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM

812 posts, read 2,189,087 times
I lived in Philly suburbs, went to Manhattan on business a lot, in laws lived in Wayne, NJ. I like DFW but it is WAY different. Pros- cost of living, weather (outside of July/August) friendlier people, both Dallas and Ft Worth have hip urban places. Cons- flat, certain areas were cotton fields and have sticks for trees, some superficial people.
Overall a wash depending on your wants and needs.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,829,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
some superficial people.
This is very true...Not that we don't have them in the Northeast, it's just much more obvious in some areas of DFW for some odd reason I can't put my finger on.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,403,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyj80 View Post
Any NYC Metro, Philly Metro or NJ natives in Dallas?

If so, how do you like living in Dallas?
Rittenhouse proper here. Dallas doesn't have the population density of the east coast. You will never bump into someone on the street walking home with groceries, the city just isn't built like that. The Uptown area is a bit more walkable, but that's mostly just to bars and such. Foot traffic is basically non-existent to a large extent.

Dallas however, is fairly metropolitan. Not as progressive at the east coast, a heck of alot flashier- think 3 Bentleys and a Rolls Royce outside of a hip eatery (say Marquee in Highland Park Village).

Social intercoure is much more of a fine art on the east coast, where money helps, but social graces, education and political views matter more than just deep pocketbooks, IMHO.

But Dallas is fun, people are pretty open and easy to get along with.

Roll out for a visit.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM

114 posts, read 222,321 times
Lived in Nj all my life, prior to moving here 4 months ago....worked in NYC, and all over NJ. We moved here for my husband's job transfer, so I wasn't exactly a willing participant (all our family and friends are back east).

There are some things I really like, the weather (minus the summer), people being nicer and not as much in a hurry. We live in the city limits and I love being close to everything, and having neighborhood kids for my daughter to play with.

I do find people "wear their wealth" more than where I lived in NJ....more flash and bling. More plastic surgery and verrry expensive clothing (women get dressed to go to a Bible Study). Things are more low key and ecletic in my neighborhood of Lakewood.

I have also found people to be friendly, but not necessarily looking for new friendships, think this is true for most locations. There are pockets of pretty neighborhoods, but the topography is not pretty or intersting like the East coast.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM

291 posts, read 675,951 times
I'm originally from NYC and moved here from DC. I like the cost of living here since it's way less expensive to live here than in the NE. However, there are tons of things I miss. I even miss Amtrak and being able to take day trips to Philly from either NY or DC.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:34 PM

111 posts, read 147,911 times
Lived in NYC most of my life but spent some time living in Boston burbs, DC burbs, Raleigh and Northern Metro NJ. I have been down here since 2006 and I live in Murphy and have worked as far west as Las Colinas and now work near Frisco.

When I think about all of the positives (financial - job market, low real estate, no city/state tax, lower car insurance, pay is just slightly less than NYC; standard of living - tons of food and even some good ethnic foods, great school systems; weather is good - basically the TX summer is like the NYC winter, just limit your outside stuff) ... and the negatives (traffic - what major US city doesn't have traffic; keeping up with Jones' mentality; lack of a true downtown to hang out; cookie cutter suburb neighborhoods; there are Arts, but not an abundance like NYC; 2+hr flight everywhere; lack of affordable fresh fish; also there is a sub-level of rudeness mixed with politeness...hard to describe... in NYC, we are just not polite, lol)

...I can't figure out why I don't like it here. I am not trying to be negative to this area, but if I was going to put a finger on why I don't like it here, it may be that it just lacks "soul" or "depth" that I think I find in other cities like DC, NY, San Fran, etc.

It may just be "me", so we will hang around here for awhile until God tells us otherwise.

We are thinking/praying about moving to the Southeast in upcoming years, so we can hopefully still get the positives of smaller/southern town mentality with the proximity (short flight/long drive) of the cities that we like.

Since each demographic may experience things differently, to put weight on my comments, I am professional, married, African American, late 30's, with a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas