Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM

107 posts, read 166,922 times

Advertisements

For those living in the Westlake/Flower Mound areas, what service provider would you say has the best cell phone coverage? I need to upgrade and get new phones and service now, but don't want to be stuck in a 2 year contract with a company with bad service down there. Your feedback is appreciated! THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
AT&T. iPhone.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
AT&T or Verizon...I prefer AT&T

I work in the West Texas oilfield with very little coverage area and keep an apartment in Dallas. In my experience AT&T and Verizon get the best coverage and works the best. I used Sprint and ran into a lot of service interruptions. Also, I suggest an IPhone. Cellular coverage is one thing but you also need a good quality phone.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I have had AT&T for years. I don't have a smart phone. As a result, I have had unparalleled service (in terms of connection). My friends with iphones drop their calls. My friends with Sprint would lose signal deep in a big building. Same with some of my Verizon friends (they don't get a signal behind two walls of our workplace - I still have 4-5 bars).

I think part of it is going to be the service provider. But some of it will be the phone as well. As a smart phone user, my brother has been happier with Verizon.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 AM

71 posts, read 119,701 times
I'm not in the area you specified, but overall, the areas I've been in, AT&T has been consistently good...

Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM

107 posts, read 166,922 times
THanks for the feedback. We would mostly likely me getting some type of smart phone, but it looks like from the comments ATT seems to "be winning the battle". I can't stand the dropped calls and evenutally being a newbie to Texas next year, we will probably be relying on the phone quite a bit and don't want to get stranded with no service.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM

71 posts, read 119,701 times
If you're still a talker and haven't completely given in to texting, AT&T is rolling out unlimited mobile to mobile calling, regardless of carrier, for those who have unlimited text messaging plans. So, best bang for your buck: get unlimited texting and you'll also get unlimited voice calls to other mobile customers, regardless of who they're with.

Another good thing is the rollover minutes. That, along with other factors, is what has kept me from switching to another provider. I've been with AT&T for nearly 10 years. No issue with billing or reception, ever. And I've been in the urban, suburban, and rural areas of Texas...

Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
AT&T or Verizon...I prefer AT&T

I work in the West Texas oilfield with very little coverage area and keep an apartment in Dallas. In my experience AT&T and Verizon get the best coverage and works the best. I used Sprint and ran into a lot of service interruptions. Also, I suggest an IPhone. Cellular coverage is one thing but you also need a good quality phone.
This is one thing I-Phones & AT&T are notorious for...dropped calls all the time. Their only advantage I can see anyways is being able to surf the web on your phone while talking on the phone, but who does that anyways?

Verizon Wireless > AT&T

CNET reviews will all say the same things I just said.

I-Phones are overrated & just the slightest drop on the ground will shatter the glass on your phone into sharp shards like a car window then there goes several hundred dollars. Not to mention the whole issue with the internal antennae where your hand holds the phone.

4 generations of I-phones later & they still haven't solved the basic issue with call quality (or lack of).

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-07-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 02:34 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
This is one thing I-Phones & AT&T are notorious for...dropped calls all the time. Their only advantage I can see anyways is being able to surf the web on your phone while talking on the phone, but who does that anyways?

Verizon Wireless > AT&T

CNET reviews will all say the same things I just said.

I-Phones are overrated & just the slightest drop on the ground will shatter the glass on your phone into sharp shards like a car window then there goes $500 bucks.
say what you want..I would rather have an iPhone than about 95% of the hodgepodge Android devices on the market today. And ANY Smartphone with a large screen these days runs the risk of broken glass if you drop it. I don't plan on, or base purchase decisions on whether I will drop a phone or not anyway.

Apple will be addressing the dropped call problem with their next version of the iPhone which should be announced this month or early next. They will most likely be going with a Qualcomm chip, which will ultimately replace the infamous 'Infeneon' chip responsible for the dropped calls. Apple never forgot that. But ultimately the reason for the Qualcomm chip is to make it a world phone. Oh yeah, and don't expect 4G, new version most likely will not have it.

Say what you want about the fact everyone has one, but the Software in the iPhone is the real reason to purchase the phone, not the device itself. The Software is second to none, regardless of the market share #s for Android.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
say what you want..I would rather have an iPhone than about 95% of the hodgepodge Android devices on the market today. And ANY Smartphone with a large screen these days runs the risk of broken glass if you drop it. I don't plan on, or base purchase decisions on whether I will drop a phone or not anyway.

Apple will be addressing the dropped call problem with their next version of the iPhone which should be announced this month or early next. They will most likely be going with a Qualcomm chip, which will ultimately replace the infamous 'Infeneon' chip responsible for the dropped calls. Apple never forgot that. But ultimately the reason for the Qualcomm chip is to make it a world phone. Oh yeah, and don't expect 4G, new version most likely will not have it.

Say what you want about the fact everyone has one, but the Software in the iPhone is the real reason to purchase the phone, not the device itself. The Software is second to none, regardless of the market share #s for Android.
You mean its taken Apple 5 generations of I-Phones to get it right with the dropped call issues?

Thanks, but no thanks.

I drop my BlackBerry all the time & its never shattered the glass screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas