Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,930,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette4me45 View Post
Blanket statements about "every major" city are ridiculous. Ridiculous and very untrue in most of your points.
There are many major cities with lots of beauty, San Fran, Portland Oregon, Washington etc......
The air quality in Dallas is in the TOP three worst in the US. My husband worked on an air quality study...It is very bad there. As far as the mountains in Denver keeping the pollution in, so does the humidity in Dallas-humidity keeps air stagnant.
I very much doubt that the bugs being discussed here have ANYTHING at all to do with whether or not your house is clean, I am sure that yu must know that.
If you are this defensive about things in Dallas, maybe you should not be writing here? This is for discussion.
So in your eyes because I see Dallas and the area in a positive light I should not be on here? LOL!!! That it is for "discussion". Define that term please? I fully understand it but I want to make sure you do. I have a feeling many see it as "dissing" and "cussing" I merely give ANOTHER side of the way life is here. Afterall if your moving to a place you have never been before don't you want to know what people that have lived there for a long time feel and know? I would.

As for "blanket statements" the VERY same thing can be said of the posters that get on here and go on about Dallas and/or Texas being "ugly", "flat", "brown", etc. To put Dallas much less Texas into one box is more than ridiculous. I would like to know what I've said that is "untrue"? Please.

As for the bugs being discussed here. Umm, yes it DOES indeed make a difference if your house is filthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:26 PM

58 posts, read 222,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
So in your eyes because I see Dallas and the area in a positive light I should not be on here? LOL!!! That it is for "discussion". Define that term please? I fully understand it but I want to make sure you do. I have a feeling many see it as "dissing" and "cussing" I merely give ANOTHER side of the way life is here. Afterall if your moving to a place you have never been before don't you want to know what people that have lived there for a long time feel and know? I would.

As for "blanket statements" the VERY same thing can be said of the posters that get on here and go on about Dallas and/or Texas being "ugly", "flat", "brown", etc. To put Dallas much less Texas into one box is more than ridiculous. I would like to know what I've said that is "untrue"? Please.

As for the bugs being discussed here. Umm, yes it DOES indeed make a difference if your house is filthy.
Txmomof2dfw, I think I just need to put you on my "block" list. I find your posts disrespectful as well.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:10 AM

31 posts, read 77,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

I think that I tried to point out to you the things that I felt were unfaiir/untrue--read the replies I left for you. Those woould be the ones regarding air quality in Dallas, traffic in Dallas etc....oh, and let's not forget your comment about most majot cities not having any "natural beauty". LOL
Seeing Dallas in a positive light is not your the problem, the fact that you expect other people to see it that way-is. Or perhaps it is just the way that you come across in your posting, that is to say, not very nice.
Yes, if I were moving to a place that I had never been before, I would want to know what people thought-BOTH positive and negative. I guess that I have to get more specific about the BUG issue so that I can help you to understand what I meant??? The bugs that people were talking about were NOT ONLY cockroaches, but also-spiders, mosquitos and such. Cockroaches can be a terrible issue depending on where you live no matter if the home is clean or not. It is a CITY issue, for example some parts of ABQ have terrible cockroaches and it has nothing at all to do with clean or dirty homes, it is a fact. As far as mosquitos and spiders? Are you kidding me? That is also an issue that relies on where you live. I love in NC and teh spiders and the mosquitos SUCK; but are a fact of life. I can scrub all day, they are not going anywhere. BTW-mosquitos are outside. I don't have cockroaches, why? Because we don't have that issue here in Durham. My friends in ABQ, they have that issue. They are not "filthy" people, to quote you. Have I been repetitive enough for you to grasp some comprehension here?
I agree with the poster---you are offensive, rude and speak volumes about why people have issues with some Texans. READ: SOME-NOT ALL.
I am so glad that there are other Texans on here that are nice and helpful and give me hope about the move.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 PM

95 posts, read 164,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyzmommy View Post
Oh, for the love of Pete! I have three children and I take them to the park every day. We leave the house around 8:30am and have breakfast out there they play until 11am. By around 10:30 we move into the shade and everyone's just fine. There are about a bazillion wonderful activities and camps if you're super stressed about actually going outside but what no one seems to mention is that the weather here is amazing from about October through May. We go to the park in the afternoons come winter time dressed in sweaters. Bugs are an issue if you live in a neighborhood that doesn't deal with them, I guess, but everyone I know has quarterly fumigating (we use an organic place so it's safe for our children) and I use unscented spray-on Off! Not a big stressor. Summer is hot. That's why God (nods, Jonna) made vacation. And people who constantly fall back on the fear of the Bible Belt wear me out. I'm far more concerned about cynical, whiny people who hop on here and trash a place just because it's not the place from whence they came. So, yes, go home if that's what will make you happy but do not pretend that it's because we all have cockroaches, sit around watching television and have no cultural or community experiences aside from revivals. That's just ignorant. OP, you'll love having a pool and you'll find loads of families here. Native Texans are NOT all rednecks. Jonna is simply wrong, snipy, inflammatory, rude and worn out. That's all. Welcome to Texas.

M
AMEN!! Colorado is EXTREMELY overrated!! And I, too, was not born in Texas but moved here as fast as I could. We LOVE Texas (been here since March after spending 6 years in Houston) and we've lived in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Georgia & Tennessee.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:39 AM
hdb

7 posts, read 17,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette4me45 View Post
The air quality in Dallas is in the TOP three worst in the US. My husband worked on an air quality study...It is very bad there. As far as the mountains in Denver keeping the pollution in, so does the humidity in Dallas-humidity keeps air stagnant.

Wrong. Dallas isn't even in the TOP 25 worst cities for air quality. We usually rank in the top ten for ozone levels, but well below Los Angeles and Bakersfield.

The ALA lists the 25 U.S. metropolitan areas most polluted by year-round particle pollution (soot). Again, ties are listed with the same number:
1. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, Calif.
2. Bakersfield, Calif.
3. Pittsburgh-New Castle, Pa.
4. Visalia-Porterville, Calif.
5. Fresno-Madera, Calif.
6. Detroit-Warren-Flint, Mich.
7. Hanford-Corcoran, Calif.
8. Cleveland-Akron-Elyria, Ohio
9. Birmingham-Hoover-Cullman, Ala.
9. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, Ga.-Ala.
11. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, Ill.-Ind.-Wis.
12. Weirton-Steubenville, W.Va.-Ohio
13. York-Hanover-Gettysburg, Pa.
13. St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, Mo.-Ill.
13. Cincinnati-Middletown-Wilmington, Ohio-Ky.-Ind.
16. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, N.Y.-N.J.-Conn.-Pa.
16. Lancaster, Pa.
18. Merced, Calif.
18. Canton-Massillon, Ohio
20. Charleston, W.Va.
21. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, D.C.-Md.-Va.-W.Va.
22. Reading, Pa.
22. Hagerstown-Martinsburg, Md.-W.Va.
24. Indianapolis-Anderson-Columbus, Ind.
25. Louisville-Elizabethtown-Scottsburg, Ky.-Ind.

A separate list shows that the top five towns for ozone were all in California (Bakersfield, Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, Visalia-Porterville, Fresno-Madera, and Merced).

Old 09-15-2007, 04:13 PM

709 posts, read 3,476,891 times
I personally think this thread needs to be stopped. It is really getting bad on both sides of the coins when discussing this topic. I know I'm tired of the thread.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:18 PM

164 posts, read 793,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
She is from Colorado. I was simply telling her as I am a native Coloradian, she probably will not like Dallas. Reasons here

1. weather
2. landscape
3. life style

1. weather, being a coloradian you enjoy seasons, yes even the cold.
There is no Fall here, Halloween I remember going out and it's quite brisk.. part of Halloween. Here it's still hot and humid. Not really in the mood for the traditional spiced cider we drink in Colorado.
Thanksgiving, warm still.
Christmas, Warm again! if you are used to snow during christmas, forget it!
No more going over to friends houses walking throuigh snow and co,ing into a nice warm home and smelling pine, warm cookies and food. It's all very generic here.
If you decide you happen to love the warm winters, thats great! Summer is coming and it comes early. Forget about planning trips to the Zoo or ren faire or any other outdoor activities. Although I believe the have a so/so ren faire in april here. I went one year, it's weak compared to the one on Colorado. If you have a pool great, if you don't plan on living in it. Well stay inside and watch TV I guess. If the heat doesn't get to you, the humidity will. Don't worry though, it only takes about a year to get acclimated to it.

2. Landscape. Your neighbourhood might be really pretty with lots of trees. You can't spend all your time there. Dallas in general is mostly dead/dry grass, leafless trees, trash all over the roads, lots of construction. Most places are run down for some reason. I seen new stores open up and within 2 months people have trashed them.
In Dallas, nobody really plants flowers here, sure you see some pansies etc,.. here they dont believe in watering but the more lawn ornaments you can put on your lawn the better! yeehaw. I don't care what price range your area is.
backyards forget it..

3. life style. Now this is where you may like it or hate it. If you are outdoorsy, not a good place to live. If you like going to resturants and movies and coming back home. You'll love it here.

If you are a native Coloradian, you'll miss things like talking walks at night (bugs attack you here and most often than not it's humid), you'll wake up everyday and the weather is sunny and hot! You will get excited on the rare day you get rain or it's overcast. By the way, here the rain only makes it hotter and more humid unlike colorado where it makes the air fresh and cool.
You'll miss trees, green parks. You get cows and run down buildings in most areas instead. High ratio of obese people. I dont understand it since it's so hot here, how does that happen? If you like the food in colorado, you'll realize after moving here the food you are used to, here they consider it "health food or specialty food" costs more and hard to find.

You'll see and you can decide for yourself. But asking a Texan if it's nice here is not the best person to ask for a comparison.
Funny post...all the reasons you list as being pluses for Colorado are the very reasons I leaving! Warm weather most of the year?: Sounds good to me!!!!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:43 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,758,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna
You'll miss trees, green parks
Um, like this:
http://home.tx.rr.com/jrldh/Site/White%20Rock%20Lake_files/CIMG1994.jpg (broken link)

or this:
http://home.tx.rr.com/jrldh/Site/White%20Rock%20Lake_files/CIMG2004.jpg (broken link)

or this:
http://home.tx.rr.com/jrldh/Site/White%20Rock%20Lake_files/CIMG2015.jpg (broken link)

or this:
http://home.tx.rr.com/jrldh/Site/White%20Rock%20Lake_files/CIMG1995.jpg (broken link)

BTW, this is just one of the smaller lakes in the metroplex. White Rock Lake inside Dallas city limits.

Me thinks, you only drove from DFW airport to a hotel in a drab area of town and now consider yourself an expert on Dallas

Old 09-23-2007, 07:09 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,758,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna
No more going over to friends houses walking throuigh snow and co,ing into a nice warm home and smelling pine, warm cookies and food. It's all very generic here.
Uh, must be a mirage, then:

also try:
http://www.pbase.com/image/17911325

Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 AM

168 posts, read 500,731 times
Default Big D

Most of what the previous poster mentioned regarding the Metroplex is true. It is flat, brown and hot. Now, you can find areas that have some trees and manmade lakes, but they are few and far between. I think people should get an answer to their question, not a defensive retort by natives.
Now, for some, this type of climate and topography may be great, for others not, but lets give them the facts.
On a whole, Texans are the most defensive group of individuals when it comes to defending their cities and lifestyle. Hmm, I wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas