Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

Well we were out all day today at the water park and there were plenty of other people out there enjoying it. It is not so hot that one can not enjoy it for 3 months straight staying locked up inside, that is a total joke. I have neighbors that walk, ride bikes, jog every single day or night. We have a pool in our backyard and enjoy the heck out of it. We also cookout most nights at home while the kids are in the pool and playing in the backyard. Sure it is hot but it is not as bad as some are making it out to be. If it was that bad do you really think those of us that are natives and remember having homes and cars w/o air conditioning would have lived here this long, lol.

As for those giant bugs like cockroaches, I don't have that problem at my house and never have. YIKES!!! Yes I have a pest control company come every 3 months but that is because for several years I was VERY close to the lake and did not want all of the tiny spiders that build webs outside everynight coming to my house. Our yard now is close to a creek, golf course, we have a pool and TONS of landscaping that would make a great natural habitat for some critters so we have them still. I STILL have NEVER had cockroaches scrambling from my front porch when I turn on the porchlight, that is just GROSS and a total fabrication.

Don't believe everything you read. Some people are unhappy for various reasons and will find fault no matter how grand the place is. I'm not going to say that Dallas or Texas are THE BEST place on earth for everyone because it is not (Thank God). BUT, it is a heck of a lot better than most places and I have traveled across the country and the world. I'll take the bad we have here in order to have the awesome greatness that comes along w/ it. Life is what you make it no matter where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,582 times
Don't believe everything you read. Some people are unhappy for various reasons and will find fault no matter how grand the place is. I'm not going to say that Dallas or Texas are THE BEST place on earth for everyone because it is not (Thank God). BUT, it is a heck of a lot better than most places and I have traveled across the country and the world. I'll take the bad we have here in order to have the awesome greatness that comes along w/ it. Life is what you make it no matter where you are.[/quote]

Well said...thanks for stating what I think most of are thinking!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
does anyone here know where the term redneck came from? It's actually not a derogitory term, or wasn't at first. Men who worked outside (usually farmers and ranchers) got sunburned necks. They wore long sleeve shirts and hats usually, so the exposed skin of the neck would sunburn. Elite plantation owners or people who didn't have to be in the sun called them rednecks (sort of a class term). So if it's nasty and ignorant to be a hardworking, salt of the earth person then count me in!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
I would like to know as well. Where I come from it's called a farmer's tan.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
One in the same. Redneck/farmers tan (although farmers tan also inludes dark forearms, but white where covered by shirt). So technically, if you think about it, all the people who are trying to use it as an insult are actually just calling us farmers. Oh, that hurts so bad

Old 08-29-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
One in the same. Redneck/farmers tan (although farmers tan also inludes dark forearms, but white where covered by shirt). So technically, if you think about it, all the people who are trying to use it as an insult are actually just calling us farmers. Oh, that hurts so bad
I knew that and have NEVER thought of the term as being derogatory. I have how ever thought those that use it to mean something less than human to another were being ignorant though. Just because I come from a long line of hardworking people does not mean they are uneducated. I know more truck drivers and farmers that have Masters and PhD's than one could imagine. LOL!!!

Remember the song by the Bellamy Brothers, "Redneck Girl"? I LOVE that song and always have. Just listen to the words to it and it just boils down to a person that can look good all dressed up or at home taking it easy w/ friends. Faithful, honest and hardworking. I'll take that ANYDAY! If someone calls me a redneck, GREAT!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:32 AM

12 posts, read 36,415 times
some people are unhappy wherever they are.....

Old 09-06-2007, 02:50 PM

122 posts, read 507,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txlady47 View Post
some people are unhappy wherever they are.....
And some people have good taste.

I would like to add my two cents about Dallas. Why the heck do you want to move here from Colorado? As the previous posters have mentioned,

1) Dallas landscape is Ugly
2) The summers are horrendous (this summer being a welcome exception)
3) The traffic is terrible
4) The air quality is bad (Denver also has bad air quality but Dallas is much worse)
5) Not a lot of nature/outdoor things to do (yes there is White Rock lake, city parks and the such, but nothing that can compare to Colorado.)
6) Dallas has only two seasons, summer and a pseudo-winter (it can get below freezing here, and it ices over as opposed to snows.)
7) City has no character
8) Urban sprawl
9) Bugs
10) This weird attitude from native Texans that bigger is better, that Texas is so beautiful, etc. Yes East Texas is pleasant and the hill country is OK but it is nothing spectacular.

Yes I am a transplant, but not being a native and having lived in the midwest and mid-atlantic I have something to compare LIVING in Dallas to. My advice, if you don't like the cold, look for someplace other than Dallas/Texas. If you really like being cooped indoors in the summers, shopping, watching movies, and want a big house for cheap, then don't worry, you will like it here.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:34 PM

937 posts, read 2,906,974 times
So where would that somewhere else be? Just curious where you would go to.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:40 PM

gokctx says:

1) Dallas landscape is Ugly
That is an opinion. You may think your wife is a total knockout and the next person think she is dog ugly. Dallas is NOT ugly.

2) The summers are horrendous (this summer being a welcome exception)
And your considering ABQ! Geez. Good luck w/ that one. When it gets hot there they have no a/c. And talk about nothing but dirt, dry and barren, lol.

3) The traffic is terrible
Every single major city has terrible rush hour traffic. But I know the streets of the Dallas area and can get from one side to the other pretty well no matter what.

4) The air quality is bad (Denver also has bad air quality but Dallas is much worse)
Every major city has a problem w/ air quality. Denvers is really bad because the mountains actually trap the haze and prevent it from moving out.

5) Not a lot of nature/outdoor things to do (yes there is White Rock lake, city parks and the such, but nothing that can compare to Colorado.)
Your trying to compare Dallas the CITY to Colorado the STATE! HUGE difference. Take away the mountains to the west of Denver and you have nothing. Those mountains are NOT in Denver.

6) Dallas has only two seasons, summer and a pseudo-winter (it can get below freezing here, and it ices over as opposed to snows.)
Yes, it can get below freezing here. We have freeze warnings. So??? I'm trying to figure this one out? The majority of the country gets below freezing. Again, your looking at ABQ. Have you looked at how cold it gets there?

7) City has no character
Again this is a matter of opinion.

8) Urban sprawl
Every major city has faced some kind of sprawl issues. So you think we should force all of the transplants to stop buying houses in Frisco and McKinney and make them buy an Uptown condo?

9) Bugs
Somebody slap me, PLEASE . What place on earth does not have bugs? Keep your house clean and that won't be an issue.

10) This weird attitude from native Texans that bigger is better, that Texas is so beautiful, etc. Yes East Texas is pleasant and the hill country is OK but it is nothing spectacular.
Yes, Texas IS beautiful. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder and I think God did a GREAT job on Texas. Most major cities do not have much in the way of "natural beauty" so give it a rest.

Yes I am a transplant, but not being a native and having lived in the midwest and mid-atlantic I have something to compare LIVING in Dallas to. My advice, if you don't like the cold, look for someplace other than Dallas/Texas. If you really like being cooped indoors in the summers, shopping, watching movies, and want a big house for cheap, then don't worry, you will like it here.
Whose cooped up? Maybe you are but the rest of us are out having a grand time What is funny is your speaking out of both sides of your mouth as we like to say. First you say it is so hot here you have to be cooped up but then you say "cold winters". LOL!!! Which is it?

I'm in total agreement w/ txlady in that some people are just not happy no matter where they are. What a pity. To live the best years of your life and not be happy with where you are in life. To always be chasing some allusive dream in some location that makes you miserable. I've traveled all over the country and many places outside of our borders and I have yet to find a place that suits me to a "T" to live in day in and day out. The other places are great to visit but not to live for me personally. And the remark on "good taste" was in VERY bad taste and uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas