Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,211 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the correct forum to post this request.

To summarize a somehow classical story, I met an American girl who doesn't speak French, doesn't have any specific qualifications to help her find a job in Paris, and doesn't feel like living the rest of her life in this city.

On my end, I speak English, I have a few professional options (PhD in Musicology, experience in University teaching, piano teaching, french teaching...), and I don't want to witness this relationship fade into oblivion for such a trivial reason as distance.

I don't hope for any dream job, but at this point I would be grateful for any kind of help to find a job that more or less matches my profile.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 02:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
run a search on this forum or any other in TX for "teaching jobs" and read all the threads that come up

pretty much waste of time witht the current educational disaster happening in TX
you can run search for "education funding" and get those threads as well

Old 07-03-2011, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,211 times
Will do... thanks.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
PLUS you will have to have a visa that allows you to work in this county
frankly not likely with this budget crisis--
most foreign teachers at my school were in the math/science dept--not a French national to teach a French class

you might have more luck with the school in Dallas where teaching IS in French--forget the name now

or maybe a junior college in the area

Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 38,838 times
Check out the Dallas International School. Teaching positions in French at the high school and college level are very competitive. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Things are not at all promising for anyone in Education in Texas.

I just read in the paper this morning that the University of Texas expects it will have to cut 600 jobs from its budget over the next two years because of State reductions in its budget.

State schools are faced with a 4 billion dollar reduction in funding from the State.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:18 PM

256 posts, read 448,479 times
There are French teaching jobs out there, but I don't know about the intricacies of sponsoring you for a visa and all of that. You would have better luck with private schools that value a native speaker. There are also numerous private music schools that hire foreign nationals (my children's music school has foreign piano and violin teachers, although I think they were already here). Ask SMU and University of North Texas -- both of them have excellent music programs -- for advice. Your English is superlative; you might be able to find something, tutoring if nothing else.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:55 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Unless you and the girlfriend get married, it will be practically impossible to get a visa that will allow you to work. Working without authorization is illegal for the employer, plus it will be used against you when/if you two marry and you apply for a fiancee visa or permanent residency down the line. You can also be deported if you are caught! And yes, working for cash as a tutor, etc. is still considered working by USCIS.

The employment based one (sponsored by your employer) is an H1B, and there is an annual quota that gets maxed out very quickly each year. It is also prohibitively expensive for a small school, and the public schools are in a mess so they cannot sponsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: