Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 PM

6 posts, read 12,685 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I need objective advice on the alternative certification for teachers. I have a BA in Psychology and Sociology. I'm thirty, with over ten years of work experience. However, that experience is in real estate/office management. I would LOVE to be a teacher and had hoped to find a program in January. Due to the budget cuts and layoffs I decided to hold off on getting certified. My current job pays 'ok' and is stable. But, with someone with a degree (does that even matter anymore?) I feel like I am underutilized and I'm getting antsy. Would it be in my best interest to get certified via the local community college or return to school and get a masters + certification? I run into the issue of the student teaching, as I have to have a steady paycheck.

I have this degree and I can't use it. It's beyond frustrating and makes my job very unenjoyable. I know I should be thankful for even having a job, but I feel like a high schooler could do my job.

I've thought about social work. That would also require a masters and more student loans. I feel like I'm just floating in the abyss with no direction. I want to do something that works with children, but can't even get my foot in the door due to no experience. Anyone else in my predicament? Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Run a search on this forum to see a lot of threads on this topic. Not good news from what I have read.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 PM

438 posts, read 1,784,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer0225 View Post
I need objective advice on the alternative certification for teachers. I have a BA in Psychology and Sociology.
The vanishingly small allotment of psychology/sociology slots out there will likely go to "social studies 8-12" teachers who can cover those fields plus econ, govt, history, geography. This used to be known as "social studies composite" IIRC.

The teaching market for certified teachers is narrow and getting narrower. Unless you are incredibly lucky or win the nepotism lottery I'd say it's unlikely one would land an altcert internship in this market. Region 10, after years of cheerleading and optimism, has finally admitted there is almost no chance of internships in the current market.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
there is no reason to pay money for an alt cert degree
because you won't get a job in TX--
even charter schools and private schools are awash in teacher apps
and the pay is less than public teaching

volunteer--
there are plenty of places that could use your help and make you feel useful

Old 06-23-2011, 01:11 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,770 times
Just because her BA is in Psychology and Sociology doesn't mean she has to teach those subjects. You can teach in whatever subject you pass the certification test in. My sister has a degree in marketing but has been teaching middle school for the past 8 years because she got her 4-8 general certification. With that said, as dry as it is for teaching jobs right now, it'd be hard competing against somebody with a degree in the subject they teach.

A lot of people will say don't go into teaching. I'd say if you can wait it out a few years, it might be worth it. This economy has to turn around at some point, and when it does, schools will start hiring again. But as far as right now, yes, you're going to find it extremely hard to find a job anywhere in Texas as a teacher.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,571 times
Agree with others that alt-certification is not a good idea at this juncture. I know two individuals who have done this, and it seems like anyone with alt-certification will lose out to those with traditional educational credentials. School districts just don't value it as highly. One friend was a telecom engineer and was qualified to teach math; he could only find a job at a charter school for troubled teens. You can imagine what life was like for him - he lasted a year.

The other is certified in English/liberal arts and has so far only found work as a special ed sub. Not what she planned at all and she is very discouraged.

if you really want to teach - suggest going the master's route. So many teachers in the *good* school districts have their masters; you will want to be able to compete with that. Plus your pay will be higher.

Have you absolutely ruled out a master's in your field?

I think educational loans are a fact of life and are the best investment you can make (and no I am not a banker or a college recruiter, lol!) Think about it: your total debt will be about that of a new car. How long does a car last? 5-8 years if you are lucky.

How long will educating yourself to work in a field you love last? The rest of your life ....

Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Unlike a mortgage and credit card debts, a student loan dies with the student - the gov't. does not come after your heirs. You can also defer beginning re-payment for up to 3 yrs after graduation and then get income-sensitive payments. A federal student loan is the best investment you can make in yourself! and a 'real" school's degree is invaluable.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Just because her BA is in Psychology and Sociology doesn't mean she has to teach those subjects. You can teach in whatever subject you pass the certification test in.
Don't have to teach it forever, but do have to get certified in it first before any of those other tests can be attached to the initial certificate, whereupon she would be certified to teach those non-majored fields.

And to get that initial certification in it in an alt-cert program she'd have* to get a internship (ie, job teaching)** in that field.

* or very likely have
** or a student teaching experience, which more are offering nowadays

Last edited by fratermus; 06-25-2011 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: sorry, been working all night and just got home

Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
if you really want to teach - suggest going the master's route. So many teachers in the *good* school districts have their masters; you will want to be able to compete with that. Plus your pay will be higher.
Well, so many in good school districts get the Master's; I don't think they are necessarily hired with a graduate degree.

There are whisperings in the hallway that the way to do this is to start the Master's but not finish it until you have the job. Removes the economic incentive for a school to pass you up for a cheaper candidate.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
there is whisperings in the hallways that people will be laid off and it will be impossible to get job for almost 99% of the applicants
and YES--technically alt-cert candidates are not fully certified unless they teach for a full year OR they do a longer alt cert process that requires student teaching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: