Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
geezzz, princess.

What are you trying to do? Prove the point?
Yes that's real snotty. Speaking up when someone repeats (twice), some smear of your neighborhood, as if it's a taken for granted fact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Many posters on this board (and other media POVs) pretty much play the party line that people in Southlake are "uppercrust" "elitist" "self-absorbed" "materialistic" "selfish" "insular" "racist (because of high % of Anglos there vs other ethnic groups)" --that they are bad parents and overindulge their children, etc...
so I can see where the poster might get the idea that Southlake residents are "snotty"

not saying they are any more snotty than residents of other high-dollar, insular areas like HP or Park Cities, Westover Hills or Mira Vista in FTW--
just that it is easy to make that leap into stereotyping the city's residents

Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Many posters on this board (and other media POVs) pretty much play the party line that people in Southlake are "uppercrust" "elitist" "self-absorbed" "materialistic" "selfish" "insular" "racist (because of high % of Anglos there vs other ethnic groups)" --that they are bad parents and overindulge their children, etc...
so I can see where the poster might get the idea that Southlake residents are "snotty"

not saying they are any more snotty than residents of other high-dollar, insular areas like HP or Park Cities, Westover Hills or Mira Vista in FTW--
just that it is easy to make that leap into stereotyping the city's residents
True... I read a few weeks ago here that SL's High Schol parking lot was filled with new expensive sports cars and SUVs....that was good for a laugh. It' looks like a used car lot for 10 year old trucks and Japanese economy cars to me.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
yes--much of what is posted about Southlake is somewhat skewed--I guess mainly because no one who lives in Southlake does any of the posting--unless I have missed some info about posters--
I have maintained that much of what passes for great education in Southlake comes because the district has students from high income--highly educated (at least higher than almost any other town in this area) parents
so it is fairly easy to teach kids who come to school knowing how to read, who get support at home on many levels, and who see a future requires education
it is easy to make a great steak when you start with top-rated beef

Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Uh wait a minute! Which school has the most Heisman Trophy winners?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Which school has the most members of the Texas Football Hall of Fame?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:11 AM

216 posts, read 716,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
you really need $300k minimum to get into Allen.
Not correct. a quick search on the coldwell banker website, cbdfw.com gives 176 properties between 68k and 200k

Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Dallas / Fort Worth

Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM

65 posts, read 122,532 times
Thanks for the info on poor education in TX Philip. Having just returned to the area after being in other states for 12 years, I was unaware of the state's poor performance.

Wow.

I thought it would be 'presumed' that I already had the academic portion considered and was looking to combine many elements to the academia, ie, a great football and band program in addition to great academia. The areas we are considering are all scoring 10's on Greatschools.org, and 4 or more stars from the community comments. Don't worry, our children will be just fine!

padcrasher, you seem so warm and welcoming. I would love to consider Southlake based on your overtly kind comments. HA! No, my ascertainment of SL is from numerous friends and families perception of the area. And, hey, if I love my friends and family and they don't think it's a good fit, then so be it. SL is snotty, Highland Park is snotty, blah blah blah. If it walks like a duck... and I've already offended you, a resident of SL, then we're probably not going to enjoy the neighborhood. Maybe you are one of the minority that are not "uppercrust, elitist" as loves2read pointed out. Good for you!

Lakewooder, could it be Woodrow Wilson? If that was then (hall of fame), how does WW's football program fare now? And I'm concerned about Long Middle school. Not liking what I see there.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:28 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
I do not know whether to laugh or cry at this thread....

If the job is in Richardson...look for a good school close by. Education and safty SHOULD be your top protiy as a parent.

EVERY school/ community has a Football program and it will most likly be head and shoulder above NC.
Football camps ARE everywhere at all price levels.

8 yr old just starting out will be right in with peers, many kids are just strating at that age.

12 yr old will be behind (entering 6th? or 7th?)
Is he a real Athletic kid? TX has both fall and spring football (strange to us East coasters) MS is usually non cut. meaning EVERYONE will be on a Team (however with budget cuts that becomes harder) HS coaches actively "scout" MS teams and those MS stars will already know the coach, the parents will have the kids signed up for camps recommended by the coach etc...by the end of 8th grade.
Parents spend THOUSANDS on private coaching, summer camps etc... to get JR a spot on HS varisty squad. With HS that have an erollment of over 2000 kids...being a starter is not an easy task!

So if your kids have NEVER played (esp the 12yr old) and YOU want them to play HS Football. Then DO not look at the state champ schools...wayyy too hard to make team etc... get them enrolled in summer camps now. Choose a GOOD academic school with smaller enrollment, your kid will have a better chance with everything.

YOu said you don't care if they choose band, art etc... they will be successfull etc.. YES, but you asked about the BEST FOOTBALL program, not ARTS program. Choose a well rounded school that does not center around Football and your kids will be happy AND get a GREAT education along the way.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
I'm not going to bother to read all 5 pages, so forgive me if this is redundant.

There are schools with the best programs and schools with programs that will actually allow your child to play football. I wouldn't call Flower Mound HS a powerhouse, and it was still RIDICULOUSLY hard to make the team there. Forget Southlake unless your kids are NCAA Division 1 ready, and at their ages, that is going to be hard.

Most kids in these "elite" programs are in camps/on teams from an early age and their parents shovel out loads of money for year round training.

Really, it's the same situation for any sport at many of these large 5A schools. If you haven't been doing it since you were 5..or maybe even 2...forget it. Heck...they FMHS Varsity Swim team had Olympic hopefuls and you could really only keep up with what was expected if you were swimming 5 hours a day (2.5 on a club team at 5 am and 2.5 in the afternoon for the Varsity practice). I could barely keep my a** on the JV team with a 50 free time that would have gotten me to State when we lived in Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas