Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:57 PM

65 posts, read 122,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Sorry I forgot that you went to LH - I think it's much smaller now - but it still has the hometown kind of feeling..if it were me I would choose that over those huge schools.

I am very involved in alumni activities, so I alway ask people from other schools about their reunions. If they went to Plano or one of the big schools up there, they often say, "I don't go to reunions, I wouldn't know anybody. The class was too big".

Then they usually ask me, "you mean you LIKED high school?".
Oh no worries, Lakewooder. There was a class reunion in 2002 that generated a large group at LH. I didn't attend b/c we lived in NC at the time. My spouse actually went to Hillcrest and graduated in 88'. I went on to UT Austin and spouse to UNT. But, since we've been away from Dallas for 12 years, and things change quickly 'round these parts, we felt it necessary to ask these important questions prior to settling on one area. I'm so grateful for all of the responses because originally we thought Frisco was where we wanted to land. Now it seems like Allen has usurped Frisco.

And I've been meaning to tell you, I LOVE your community/school spirit and pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,768,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenBook777 View Post
Oh no worries, Lakewooder. There was a class reunion in 2002 that generated a large group at LH. I didn't attend b/c we lived in NC at the time. My spouse actually went to Hillcrest and graduated in 88'. I went on to UT Austin and spouse to UNT. But, since we've been away from Dallas for 12 years, and things change quickly 'round these parts, we felt it necessary to ask these important questions prior to settling on one area. I'm so grateful for all of the responses because originally we thought Frisco was where we wanted to land. Now it seems like Allen has usurped Frisco.

And I've been meaning to tell you, I LOVE your community/school spirit and pride.
Allen would be my choice if I was in your shoes, I'd love for my kids to experience what they have going on in Allen. It's the closest thing to a college atmosphere you're going to get at a high school level.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
It's the closest thing to a college atmosphere you're going to get at a high school level.

there are couple ways to take that comment--some good and some not so good...

Old 06-14-2011, 06:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,321,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
It's the closest thing to a college atmosphere you're going to get at a high school level.
Being "the closest thing to college" is great for upperclassman who are more mature emotionally & intellectually and are ready to spread their wings and their social circles. It may not be the best thing for 14-16 year olds who are very much still in the awkward adolescent years and aren't as secure in their friend groups, aren't proactive enough to "own" their education and manage relationships with teachers and administrators, and are easily lost in a crowd....a big crowd. I have a lot of college friends who graduated from the Plano schools which are about the same class size as Allen is now. They had very polar opinions of the "mega school"- either loved it and were "big" men and women on campus or hated it and felt neglected, lost, etc. It's not for everyone, that's for sure!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenBook777 View Post

After growing up here and being away for so long, I'll be interested to see what you really think of Allen once your there. Most of my LH (late 90's) friends only moved to the burbs once they realized they'd never afford to live in town. With your budget, you could, and yet choose not to. Interesting. Most of the LH'ers I know have settled back into LH or are either in Lakewood or the Park Cities. Most of their LH friends who are still in Dallas seem to chose the same neighborhoods, too.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

there are couple ways to take that comment--some good and some not so good...
Agreed, but the same can be said otherwise. In the real world you're going to deal with all kinds of people from different walks of life, I would like to get my kids prepared for this early. I believe a wise kid with more exposure will make better choices in College when mommy and daddy isn't around.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Being "the closest thing to college" is great for upperclassman who are more mature emotionally & intellectually and are ready to spread their wings and their social circles. It may not be the best thing for 14-16 year olds who are very much still in the awkward adolescent years and aren't as secure in their friend groups, aren't proactive enough to "own" their education and manage relationships with teachers and administrators, and are easily lost in a crowd....a big crowd. I have a lot of college friends who graduated from the Plano schools which are about the same class size as Allen is now. They had very polar opinions of the "mega school"- either loved it and were "big" men and women on campus or hated it and felt neglected, lost, etc. It's not for everyone, that's for sure!
I see your point, that's a valid concern. Sooner or later they're going to get hit with reality. That being said I thought they had different campus for underclassmen? I wish I had that luxury when I was coming up lol

Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but the same can be said otherwise. In the real world you're going to deal with all kinds of people from different walks of life, I would like to get my kids prepared for this early. I believe a wise kid with more exposure will make better choices in College when mommy and daddy isn't around.
How old are you?

1. Y'all are talking like Allen is this "ideal" suburb of diversify. It is largely full of affluent families- whether black, Asian, white, etc. 10% economically disadvantaged and a MEDIAN (50% make more) income over $100,000. Let me tell you, black kids from a family making $100k live the exact same life ad white kids or Asian kids living in a family making $100k- hell, they probably live next door and go to church together on Sundays. They may even take each other's sisters to prom. Stop acting like Allen is Irving or East Plano or Garland....

2. Why does a large school mean mommy & daddy won't be around to meddle? There are just as many "helicopter" parents in the burbs as in the city. That's something many - too many- upwardly mobile parents have in common today. Being in a larger school or smaller school has nothing to do with it.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I see your point, that's a valid concern. Sooner or later they're going to get hit with reality. That being said I thought they had different campus for underclassmen? I wish I had that luxury when I was coming up lol
Plano does have 9-10 and 11-12 campuses. But each of them still have 1,000-1,400 students per grade.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
How old are you?

1. Y'all are talking like Allen is this "ideal" suburb of diversify. It is largely full of affluent families- whether black, Asian, white, etc. 10% economically disadvantaged and a MEDIAN (50% make more) income over $100,000. Let me tell you, black kids from a family making $100k live the exact same life ad white kids or Asian kids living in a family making $100k- hell, they probably live next door and go to church together on Sundays. They may even take each other's sisters to prom. Stop acting like Allen is Irving or East Plano or Garland....
2. Why does a large school mean mommy & daddy won't be around to meddle? There are just as many "helicopter" parents in the burbs as in the city. That's something many - too many- upwardly mobile parents have in common today. Being in a larger school or smaller school has nothing to do with it.
Apparently I'm not as old as you, because you seem to be a little out of touch with today's kids, you took a lot of what I said out of context(whatever). If you have issues with the new burbs up north then just say so, but don't get your panties in a bunch because I don't share the same sentiments about city living as you lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas