Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM

57 posts, read 188,196 times

Advertisements

For those who are familiar with either or both -- what areas/sections of Las Colinas and Valley Ranch are more quiet and residential? I am looking at these two areas and was told that parts of Las Colinas are very built (lots of medical buildings, industry). Looking for rental, treed, near running-walking trails, professional, more residential -- wanting to avoid industrial, 'busy', shopping district (mall across the street). Seeing many apts along Lake Carolyn but it's somewhat hard to filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:08 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizbet View Post
For those who are familiar with either or both -- what areas/sections of Las Colinas and Valley Ranch are more quiet and residential? I am looking at these two areas and was told that parts of Las Colinas are very built (lots of medical buildings, industry). Looking for rental, treed, near running-walking trails, professional, more residential -- wanting to avoid industrial, 'busy', shopping district (mall across the street). Seeing many apts along Lake Carolyn but it's somewhat hard to filter.
Lake Carolyn is in the heart of the Las Colinas business district. There are several high rise office buildings on North O'Connor between 114 and Riverside, and quite a few more all up and down the stretch of 114 between Northwest Highway and the University of Dallas campus. There are a lot of apartments between Riverside & O'Connor, but there are a ton of restaurants (mostly busy during the day due to it being a bedroom/commuter community) and offices there too.

Las Colinas west of 114 is going to be more solidly residential. You can easily spot the commercial strips or where the schools & offices are by looking at Google maps.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:16 AM

702 posts, read 2,723,676 times
University Hills and La Villita are for you. They are both quiet and residential. La Villita is newer and more family oriented. I recently moved to the University Park Estates subdivision in University Hills and I love it.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Thank you - University Hills -- I may sound stupid, but is this in Valley Ranch or Las Colinas? Side streets/intersections --- to avoid and those to look at are very helpful. I will be commuting a lot (all over) and work from home (on the phone) -- so 'escaping' is important. Definitely looking at rentals but want to be away from commerical strips, restaurants, bars, malls (quick drive is great). Lots of reasonable apts (internet) and some seem pretty and residential -- but if you do a satellite pic-- they turn out more industrial or commerical.

Don't mind being in a little developed community. But would love to be able to be a few minutes from a pretty safe running trail, and have it be quiet and serene enough where I can be on the phone on lengthy consults and not hear loud neighbors, screaming kids, cars beeping etc.

W of 114 for Las Colinas.
University Hills
La Villita

Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 PM

University Hills is in Las Colinas - 114 and Rochelle

We have beautiful ponds and jogging trails everywhere. We're also in close proximity to the Campion Nature Trails. Rentals are hard to come by in this area so you must move quick to get the house you're wanting.

There was a home in my neighborhood listed for $2395 but was only on the market for a week or so. I live in a newer home and most of University Hills is older homes from the 70's and 80's on rolling hills with nice sized lots.

3321 Garrett Drive, Irving TX - Trulia - Should give you an idea as to what you can get for your money. This is $2395.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:53 PM

72 posts, read 216,413 times
$2395?? ... Is this right?

The area (lots of medical buildings, industry) you are talking about is most along the highway 114 and 161. If you are looking for brand new homes, you can check out Lakes of Las Colinas and Riverside Village. Both are on Riverside Dr.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I have lived in both VR and LC. What's your budget? Looking for apartment, townhouse or house? There are quiet, residential pockets in both areas. University Hills is a lovely section in LC, but no apartments. La Villeta has rentals, its very nice. There are also nice rentals in VR on the canals....nice and quiet, too!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea82 View Post
$2395?? ... Is this right?
The area (lots of medical buildings, industry) you are talking about is most along the highway 114 and 161. If you are looking for brand new homes, you can check out Lakes of Las Colinas and Riverside Village. Both are on Riverside Dr.
Yes, a great deal that didn't last long. There are currently no rentals in the subdivision, but University Hills (ungated) has a few that currently start at $3200.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 PM

Hi Squirl,

That's the tricky bit. Rentals, 1 bed ideally. Nice and quiet is what I am seeking, safe, pretty, clean. Near some nice parks, running or walking trails etc. I prefer not to spend over 1000 for a one bed coming from an area where rents are over 1500 for...not much. For instance I saw the Caruth someone sent me was lovely and was shocked by the low price of 13-1400 but it's way more than I want to spend at this point. I suppose just seeing what's there in the right sections is more important but it's quite hard with apt finders and craigslist.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:31 PM

3200 -- I thought the east coast was pricey. You could rent a gorgeous house in Cambridge or Brookline for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas