Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,280,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSLP View Post
Yes, the commute is daily, and DH is aware of the 45min-hour drive. The only way to cut the commute would be to look into southwestern Plano area, or be in a school district that's not all around top notch. We will be returning to the area soon to find a place and hopefully see just what the busy traffic and commute is like at those peak times to those towns we are looking into.
You can't judge a school district like Dallas as whole. You've got to look at the individual schools themselves -- which are clustered just like suburban schools. For example, in the very nice neighborhoods of the M-Streets (75206) and Lakewood (75214), students go to Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood Elementaries, and then on to a good middle and high school. To reject that school cluster because it is in the same huge school district as poorly performing schools is a fallacy.

Look in the Dallas areas that I mentioned. Your husband needs to see you more than you need an immense house. Your family will be stronger for it, and that is why he is working so hard anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 04:52 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,255,705 times
Yeah 15 minutes to Love Field - no freeways or tollways. And you can stop at a lot of great places for dinner take out (why am I thinking about that right now -- NY Subway on Asbury is on my mind -- no not THAT Subway New York Sub - Park Cities - Dallas | Urbanspoon ). I was going there (next to SMU) when Allen was a cotton field and no-exit hayseed hovel on the way to Oklahoma.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I was going there (next to SMU) when Allen was a cotton field and no-exit hayseed hovel on the way to Oklahoma.
So, last week?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,414,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yeah 15 minutes to Love Field - no freeways or tollways. And you can stop at a lot of great places for dinner take out (why am I thinking about that right now -- NY Subway on Asbury is on my mind -- no not THAT Subway New York Sub - Park Cities - Dallas | Urbanspoon ). I was going there (next to SMU) when Allen was a cotton field and no-exit hayseed hovel on the way to Oklahoma.
I'm wiping Diet Coke off my monitor.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 PM

6,839 posts, read 14,096,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yep Allen H.S. has 5000 students compared to other 5A schools in the plus 2100 range. It's pathetic that the UIL considers them both in the same 5A classification for sports purposes....Highly unfair.

5A is the largest classification so what else can they do. I think it's funny that Highland Park always seem to be a few students short of making it to 5A whenever the classification numbers come out. I went to Skyline HS back in the late 70's and we had over a thousand students. You had to be pretty good to play most sports. Now my sons middle school has two 7th grade football teams and two 8th grade teams. That had 158 kids playing 8th grade football along.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 PM

695 posts, read 1,451,380 times
If I had a job in the city, Allen would not be my first choice of places to live, and I'm about as suburban as they come. It's a hike. You may want to consider some inner ring suburbs if you prefer that lifestyle. I would suggest you really look around, maybe even have your husband actually drive the commute a couple times before you buy in Allen. It does have a lot of qualities to recommend it and you may decide to move there despite the commute, but you should at least investigate some other options before committing.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Richardson would be a good choice as well.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,482,713 times
I lived near alma and hedgecox for a while and loved it. it was in Plano but on the allen border. I love Allen. Lots of great shopping and everything is new and clean. I had to move out of the house when me and my ex split up but I plan on moving back into the area eventually. I used to get on 75 at Legacy (very close to allen) and drive down to downtown every day. I go to work at off rush hour times so traffic isnt an issue for me. I wouldnt live there if I had to drive during the peak traffic times. In order to live in a nice place really close to love field you have to have lots of money.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 AM

931 posts, read 2,141,471 times
For the last month I have driven 24 miles up Central Expressway to Allen to pick up my Grand Daughters at 3:10 and driven back to East Dallas using HOV Lanes, It takes about 35 minutes to get there and so far no real traffic problems except when the idiots are cutting shrubs out of the median around Forrest Lane. Why it takes them so long one could never guess.

Allen offers no real tax breaks for homeowners. I would consider commutes as a high priority. LBJ/635 is fubared for at least 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas