Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 AM

70 posts, read 437,860 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard much about Allen on this board....does anyone have an opinions about the area?

I've been posting on these boards...we're looking to move from Long Island to the DFW area. I've read some postings about new homes in communities. While I think it would be great, my husband prefers to NOT live in a planned community with all the rules and structure...regarding how you keep your house, dealing with HOA fees and boards...etc.

What's the best area for just a regular house with no HOA fees? We'd like to have a pool in our backyard..our girls love to swim..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 09:13 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
I personally see HOAs as a tool designed to help maintain the integrity/conformity and value of one of the largest investments you'll make in your life.

With regards to Allen, most of the areas West of 75 (Twin Creeks, Waterford Crossing, Montgomery Farms and Star Creek) are all HOA bound. However, on the east side there are alot more areas with no HOAs.

If acreage and wide open is what you seek, then you may want to also look in Fairview. I believe that if you want to avoid HOA, don't buy in a tract community w/o one, but buy something a little further out with some land.

Also, there is a good discussion board for Allen online...Google "Allen texas Discussion Forum" and you will see it.

Also, with regards to Allen, the taxes are high (close to 3%) because they have not allowed alot of businesses in to help subsidize. But I hear that may change with the new mega underground mall being built by Montgomery Farms

Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 AM

13 posts, read 121,233 times
Property taxes for Allen are currently 2.67

Old 12-19-2006, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 14,563 times
Default We're going to Allen

I grew up on Long Island, and we now live in Queens. We've been shopping around for a place in Allen or Mckinney, and have an offer accepted on a place in Allen that we'll likely move into.

We went down a couple of weekends ago and stayed with friends who live in West Allen.

Here are a couple of things I learned that might be useful for you.

The highest HOA we encountered on our house hunt was just under $1000 a year - nothing to get too distressed about. From what I've heard they can get annoying with policing your lawn, but there's something to be said for making sure the neighborhood looks nice.

We spoke to a builder in Allen. Here's what he said. He's one of the last builders there, lots of people want to move to Allen - great schools, close to stuff, great town, etc. When you're in a town like McKinney, which will still be under development for the next 10-14 years, if you try to sell you'll be competing with builders who will sell more for less. Allen, your house will have value.

If you're interested in swimming, look into the Natatorium in Allen (http://www.cityofallen.org/parks/natatorium.htm) (broken link). Indoor huge pool/waterpark type thing.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:34 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmccormack View Post
We spoke to a builder in Allen. Here's what he said. He's one of the last builders there, lots of people want to move to Allen - great schools, close to stuff, great town, etc. When you're in a town like McKinney, which will still be under development for the next 10-14 years, if you try to sell you'll be competing with builders who will sell more for less. Allen, your house will have value.
Take what he says with a grain of salt. He's got a vested interest in finishing his project in Allen and/or he doesn't have anything lined up in McKinney. Not that I'm saying he's lying, but as with any financial transaction I'd strongly recommend you question the motivations of anyone who offers advice and stands to make $$$ from you.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:52 PM

Default Listen!

joshmccormack,

I work for one of the largest builders in the nation and I would like to tell you that what you have been told is not the complete truth. It is true that Allen will top out at about 95,000 people but not for another five years. Will you please post the name of this builder so I can tell you exactly what you are getting into.

Our customers love Allen and the fact that it has a small town feel to it but they also like the fact that they can drive 30 minutes south and be in the thick of Dallas. You will love Allen but research who you're buying from.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
From the David Weekly Website (builder):

Taxes
Allen ISD - 1.91240
City of Allen - 0 .55900
Collin County Community College - 0.089422
Collin County - 0.25000

Total Estimated taxes per $100.00 is $2.81000

This is on the east side. When I was looking on the west side, the taxes were a bit higher. I seem to recall them being within a tenth of a point from Stonebridge/Mckinney which is closer to 2.99.

Frisco is the lowest by far in the area (2.34ish), followed by Plano (2.5ish).

Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 PM

I better look into that. I could have sworn that our most up to date rate was 2.67! Hmm.... thanks for pointing that out.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:38 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
To know exactly what the tax rates are you can go straight to the County Tax Appraisal office website and find out. You never know how often a builder, seller, realtor has updated their info. No need to guess when you can find out exactly. Here is the link to the Collin County Taxing Units and their rates & exemptions:
http://www.collincad.org/taxrates_an...006taxrate.php

Here is the link to the main page for Collin County. If you are looking at an existing home you can look up that property and see EXACTLY what their 2006 taxes were along w/ the history on it.

http://www.collincad.org/

Old 12-23-2006, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,671 times
Talking Relocating

First time posting, Moving for work to area. Working out or McKinney, Prosper, and Little Elm. Frisco seems and Allen seem to be most central? Simply what is the best place. Most Bang for the Buck on homes, schools (I have 3 in high school and involved in sports) elementary school,(one there too) great town with reasonable golf country club memberships, and lots to do? Any imput would be great

Thanx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: