Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,078,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
The lakes here are, well, small. I wouldn't want to live on a lake here and have jetskis and boats zipping by my back yard. Michigan has rivers wider than most any lake in TX.
You must have some humongous rivers in Michigan. Lake Lewisville is almost 3 miles across and 12 miles long, Lake Ray Roberts is about 2 1/2 miles across, also about 12 miles long, Lake Ray Hubbard is a little under 2 miles across and 14 miles long, Joe Pool Lake is between 1 and 2 miles across and 6 miles long, and Lake Texoma is about 3 miles across, but 37 miles long. There are smaller lakes, of course, as well as many ponds, creeks, rivers and tributaries.

The Mississippi River at New Orleans is less than a half mile across. The river at Port Huron that empties into Lake Huron is less that a half mile across.

Last edited by aceplace; 08-01-2007 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 09:33 AM

443 posts, read 1,569,596 times
Yea, I was thinking the same thing Ace. I can see your point if you're using the great lakes analogy to our smaller lakes sure, but we have some fairly good size lakes around here. They're not natural, I'll grant you that, but they look like they are by now, after 30 years of being built.

Points for originality though, I've never seen that listed as a negative in Dallas, lol.

Btw, my vote is Carrollton as well, good schools, convenient to your jobs. Should be able to find something in your price range, but do be careful of the neighborhood you pick, there are relatively bad pockets of town, only a few though.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,608,355 times
The Detroit river is over 30 miles long and up to 2.5 miles wide. The St. Clair River is almost 40 miles long. Both rivers have flow rates of over 180,000 cubic feet per second. When Lewisville was at "flood stages", it had a flow rate of 7,000 cubic feet per second per the Army Core's own web site. In comparison, Lake Lewisville looks like a pond.

Oh, and Huron River is over 130 miles long...

By the way, I'm not saying the small lakes in Dallas are a negative. The poster came from the same area I did and asked what changes they would need to get used to and what to expect. I am providing an informed perspective since I can actually relate. When people said huge lakes and then I went there... I really had to bite my lip. "Huge" is a very relative term.

Brian

Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,155,321 times
Quote:
Dr. Pepper - I still think it's gross... but it's everywhere here.

Brian
I learned to love Dr Pepper in college. I found mixing it with Capt. Morgan's Spiced Rum created a pleasant mixed drink....

Old 08-02-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
The Detroit river is over 30 miles long and up to 2.5 miles wide. The St. Clair River is almost 40 miles long. Both rivers have flow rates of over 180,000 cubic feet per second. When Lewisville was at "flood stages", it had a flow rate of 7,000 cubic feet per second per the Army Core's own web site. In comparison, Lake Lewisville looks like a pond.

Oh, and Huron River is over 130 miles long...

By the way, I'm not saying the small lakes in Dallas are a negative. The poster came from the same area I did and asked what changes they would need to get used to and what to expect. I am providing an informed perspective since I can actually relate. When people said huge lakes and then I went there... I really had to bite my lip. "Huge" is a very relative term.

Brian
I don't think that anyone expects a body of water the size of Lake Huron in Texas... you don't have to reeducate them to that fact.

Your statements were technically inaccurate, however, and I gigged you on that fact. Rivers in Michigan, or anywhere else, are not consistently wider than the lakes surrounding the DFW area, in spite of the one exception you cited. And yes, everyone knows that rivers are typically longer than lakes. Also, what does rate of flow matter to the size of a lake?

I would not characterize something like Lake Texoma as "small". On a human scale, it is quite large.

If you were trying to be reasonably informative, you would cite the actual size of the lakes, and allow the reader to decide whether they were large or small. If I were a stranger to the area, I would have no reason to think that your opinion of "small" or "large" was relevant or meaningful to me.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,714 times
Default Relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4tunate View Post
My family is looking to relocate from the Detroit metro area to the Dallas area. My husband will be working in Irving and I'll be working in Plano. Any thoughts on where we could reside at in the middle of those two areas? We have a daughter who will be 2 so good schools are definitely a must and definitely a diverse and safe neighborhood. We're an African-American family so looking to intermingle with all walks of life that we hear Dallas has to offer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The Carrollton area near George Bush and the Toll Road would be good. George Bush would take right into Plano and the Toll Road would take you down to LBJ
and then into Irving. The schools there are excellent. When you get to Dallas
give me a call (972/671-7711) and I will buy your used moving boxes. I operate a moving & shipping supply store with eBay consignment. Good luck! Ed

Old 08-02-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I don't think that anyone expects a body of water the size of Lake Huron in Texas... you don't have to reeducate them to that fact.

Your statements were technically inaccurate, however, and I gigged you on that fact. Rivers in Michigan, or anywhere else, are not consistently wider than the lakes surrounding the DFW area, in spite of the one exception you cited. And yes, everyone knows that rivers are typically longer than lakes. Also, what does rate of flow matter to the size of a lake?

I would not characterize something like Lake Texoma as "small". On a human scale, it is quite large.

If you were trying to be reasonably informative, you would cite the actual size of the lakes, and allow the reader to decide whether they were large or small. If I were a stranger to the area, I would have no reason to think that your opinion of "small" or "large" was relevant or meaningful to me.
When someone is asking about changes from one place to the next, how do you know what they expect and do not expect? Maybe the poster did expect a Lake Huron. Don't assume.

I was not technically inaccurate. I never said wider - I said bigger. Bigger includes length and width. Additionally, have you looked at satellite images of Lake Lewisville? It isn't a consistent 3 miles across as you claim (meaning you are technically inaccurate). It has lots of little fingers here and there - and some of them can be three miles across.

Again, I will remind you the poster asked about changes from Michigan to Texas. Lakes here are small in comparison to Michigan. This is an undisputed fact that you yourself even reinforce. Since I preceded my statements with the fact I did the same move and these were my observations, no, infact, I don't need to state facts and let people judge for themselves. The response wasn't for you.

Brian

Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
When someone is asking about changes from one place to the next, how do you know what they expect and do not expect? Maybe the poster did expect a Lake Huron. Don't assume.
You're assuming they share your opinion as to the meaning of "small". It's better to provide some dimensions.

Quote:
I was not technically inaccurate. I never said wider - I said bigger.
No, you said wider, as in
Quote:
Michigan has rivers wider than most any lake in TX.
The Sam Rayburn reservoir is 44 miles long and 8 miles wide, Toledo Bend is 5 miles wide and 75 miles long, Sabine lake is 8 miles wide and 17 miles long, Falcon Reservoir is 5 miles wide and 32 miles long, and it is part of a river that is almost a thousand miles long.

Quote:
Since I preceded my statements with the fact I did the same move and these were my observations, no, infact, I don't need to state facts and let people judge for themselves. Brian
If you're determined to be vague, subjective and possibly misleading, I'll have to help the reader put your views into context.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 AM

I apparently did type wider. I certainly meant bigger. On that point, I stand corrected.

Unless you have 25+ years of living in Michigan I am unaware of and actually have a point of reference that the original poster asked for, then I stand by my statements.

This p#$$ing match isn't getting anyone anywhere (but it is proving that Aceplace and I are both very strong-willed individuals... hehe). Discussion over.

Brian

Old 08-02-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I apparently did type wider. I certainly meant bigger. On that point, I stand corrected.

Unless you have 25+ years of living in Michigan I am unaware of and actually have a point of reference that the original poster asked for, then I stand by my statements.

This p#$$ing match isn't getting anyone anywhere (but it is proving that Aceplace and I are both very strong-willed individuals... hehe). Discussion over.

Brian
No offense intended, Brian... most of your posts seem pretty level-headed and useful, but this one stuck in my craw for some reason... and it did give me a chance to check my geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas