Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,659 times

Advertisements

I was wanting to know what the best evangelical (non catholic non lutheran) private high school's were in the Dallas area? I was also wondering what are some of the best Dallas suburbs to live in? Quality of high school sports and class size are very important as well as academics. I would want the class sizes to be at least 100 students per class. Are there any of these private schools that compete in the THSADA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM

93 posts, read 244,983 times
The first one that comes to mind is Trinity Christian Academy in Addison.
Please wait...

Prestonwood Baptist also has a school, but not sure about the class sizes or athletics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlywintergreen View Post
I was wanting to know what the best evangelical (non catholic non lutheran) private high school's were in the Dallas area? I was also wondering what are some of the best Dallas suburbs to live in? Quality of high school sports and class size are very important as well as academics. I would want the class sizes to be at least 100 students per class. Are there any of these private schools that compete in the THSADA?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,703 times
Prestonwood Baptist has a very active sports ministry. I would imagine their athletics program would be pretty strong.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
TCA would line up best with what you are seeking. It is a tier 2ish private school- the best ones are either Catholic, nominally Episcopal, or secular.

As for best suburbs to live in, that depends on where your job is, how much of a commute you wish to endure, and your housing budget. Suburbs/neighborhoods near TCA are Plano, Richardson, and North Dallas/ Preston Hollow neighborhoods of Dallas (which are very suburban...1/3-1/2 acre lots abound).

Old 02-26-2016, 03:07 PM

8 posts, read 10,883 times
I know this is an old post, but since I have been seeking information like the original poster, and there seems to be very little available, I thought I would post what info I do have...

For North Dallas, the two evangelical Christian schools most think of are Trinity Christian Academy (in Addison) and Prestonwood Christian Academy (Plano). Farther north is now Legacy Christian Academy which is popular in Frisco. There is also First Baptist Academy in downtown Dallas, but since we live far from there, I have not researched it. Trinity is the oldest of the three and the most academic. They have the highest SAT/ACT scores of graduating seniors and always have a good number of National Merit Commended and Semi-Finalists... They also have an academically rigorous curriculum. My understanding is that the default history and english for every high schooler is AP English and AP History...

That doesn't mean Prestonwood is bad academically. It also offers AP courses and several of its graduates go onto Ivy League schools although that is probably not the priority for parents of either school....

Legacy Christian Academy is very new and so I really have no idea about its academics, but have met several parents who love it.

Trinity is the least far North of the three and families primarily feed from North Dallas, Plano, Richardson, Carrollton... It is essentially off of Frankford and the Tollway.

Prestonwood is in West Plano and is farther North off the tollway near Park and the Tollway. It seems to pull a lot from Plano, Carrollton and Frisco...

Then Legacy primarily pulls from Frisco and farther North suburbs.

Other schools to consider - Carrollton Christian Academy (but they are moving campuses and I don't know to where they are moving), Prince of Peace Lutheran (only goes up through middle school) and there is one is Lewisville that I know people like because it is less expensive.

Oh, also, there is Coram Deo which is a mix b/t private and home-school. The kids go to school two days a week and then the parents home school two other days a week. I have heard wonderful thinks about it and it has a couple of locations (one in McKinney).

Old 02-27-2016, 08:26 AM

27 posts, read 30,683 times
Trinity Christian Academy and Prestonwood Christian Academy top that group. Most families live in far west Plano to keep the alternative of public school option available.

Coram Deo is well liked among partial home schooling community.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:44 AM

94 posts, read 287,989 times
Agree with TCA and Prestonwood. General sense is that TCA is more academic and Prestonwood is maybe more sports inclined if your student leans that way. Prince of Peace Christian (Lutheran) does go through high school - it is smaller than both above. It has good academics, but is less evangelical. You don't have to make a statement of faith there so there is a little more diversity there.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:54 AM

27 posts, read 30,683 times
Agreed. Prince of Peace has a very good reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas