Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times

Advertisements

Since moving to Dallas 5 months ago, I have had a few friends recommend that I take Yoga classes to help with the every day stresses of life and they also recommended that I find parks with running trails. The problem is that none of them actually gave me any suggestions. I have looked up and researched a few places for both on the internet, but have had limited success.

I pass several yoga studios on my way to school and back (from N. Dallas to Frisco and back) but I have no idea which one would be best to put my money and time into. I' am new to the whole Yoga thing so I would like a place that is not only a good environment, but fairly reasonably priced. I' am serious about comitting to Yoga, so it is very important to me that I find the right place to start out.

As for running trails, I would like suggestions of some that are within 5-10 miles of the intersection of Midway Rd. and George Bush Turnpike in N. Dallas. There is a park right across from my apartment complex (i.e. Timberglen Park), but there isn't a running path there, just a soccer field. I see several people running on the sidewalks, but because they are so small and so many people use them, I would rather stick to the running/jogging trails.

Any suggestions will GREATLY be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Running: White Rock Lake & the Katy Trail

Yoga--I recommend do a tour of studios with Yoga Groupons (also from Urban Dealight, Living Social, and BuyWithMe). That's what I have done for the past 4 months--I have enough to last me until Sept!

They tend to run about $30 (way cheaper than the $110/month most studios charge). So far I've done YogaSport, American Power Yoga, and Uptown Yoga. American Power Yoga has been my fav, Uptown Yoga, my least fav.

Check out yelp for reviews too

Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Sunstone Yoga has several locations around Dallas & burbs. They have a first timer's deal of 10 classes in 10 days for $10 to jump start yor yoga practice.

There is also a Bikram Yoga studio on Beltline & Preston if you are interested in trying Bikram (hot) yoga.

I don't know the name of it, but there is a bike/jog trail along Central Richardson that runs parallel to Hillcrest.

I find yoga great for stress relief if you can commit to practicing 4-7 days a week. It's the constant repetition that keeps your body loose and in good shape. It's not something you can do 1-2 days a week and reap the health benefits.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:30 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Running: White Rock Lake & the Katy Trail

Yoga--I recommend do a tour of studios with Yoga Groupons (also from Urban Dealight, Living Social, and BuyWithMe). That's what I have done for the past 4 months--I have enough to last me until Sept!

They tend to run about $30 (way cheaper than the $110/month most studios charge). So far I've done YogaSport, American Power Yoga, and Uptown Yoga. American Power Yoga has been my fav, Uptown Yoga, my least fav.

Check out yelp for reviews too
I checked out those two online and the both sound great and will be pretty close when I move to Garland later this year, but I would like to know if there are any trails or parks with trails that are a little closer. Great info. though. I reall yappreciate it!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:39 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
There was a Groupon a little while ago for HikingYoga. It looks like a good way to change up a routine, but I don't think it's located near where you want it to be.

I have heard good things about Gaia Flow Yoga and there is one in North Dallas somewhere. Also heard good things about American Power Yoga.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 PM

180 posts, read 479,579 times
Arbor Hills Nature Preserve (go north on midway, west on parker, the park will be to your right a few hundred yards as soon as you turn on Parker) is a nice little park w/running trails near your current location. It does get very busy but I like that the terrain is fairly hilly and the paths are completly insulated from car traffic. The concrete jogging path has 2 loops, a 2.3 outer loop and a 1.6 smaller loop. There are also natural trails, for trail running/hiking. Trail for mountain bike riding as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas