Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 PM

11 posts, read 22,304 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my last call I am looking for a diverse area for a middle class African American family. Have been reading these posts for some time. We are looking for good schools "non exempt." good elem. and high schools. I am torn between the north and the south Richardson, Plano ,Garland,Lewisville etc. Don't take this the wrong way..but I don't want my children to feel "ostrasize" (spell?) Anyway I am leaning towards Richardson good schools, smaller class sizes not a lot of shops from what I read . But what is the best choice because these are the areas I am concentrating on looking for a job in Richard,Plano,Dallas area. I am a Nursing Assistant with a lot of years experience. Now going back to school for ITAdmin. So I will be looking for apartments where there is a good housing potential around that area down the road!! SORRY THIS POST IS SO LONG!! I am a single mom just looking for the best please help me to make this final!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:46 AM

247 posts, read 568,317 times
Richardson is very diverse - you will probably like it well. Also you should check the cities directly south of Dallas ... including Lancaster, Duncanville, Cedar Hill and Desoto...all 4 of those are very diverse and range from middle class to upper middle class (Cedar Hill) and have a very large african american population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith1 View Post
Hello, this is my last call I am looking for a diverse area for a middle class African American family. Have been reading these posts for some time. We are looking for good schools "non exempt." good elem. and high schools. I am torn between the north and the south Richardson, Plano ,Garland,Lewisville etc. Don't take this the wrong way..but I don't want my children to feel "ostrasize" (spell?) Anyway I am leaning towards Richardson good schools, smaller class sizes not a lot of shops from what I read . But what is the best choice because these are the areas I am concentrating on looking for a job in Richard,Plano,Dallas area. I am a Nursing Assistant with a lot of years experience. Now going back to school for ITAdmin. So I will be looking for apartments where there is a good housing potential around that area down the road!! SORRY THIS POST IS SO LONG!! I am a single mom just looking for the best please help me to make this final!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:14 AM

986 posts, read 1,667,361 times
Lewisville isn't too bad...it is suburbia, but there are enough African Americans here to not feel ostracized. Just stay west of I35. If you end up working in Richardson, though, that could be a rough commute.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,827,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Lewisville isn't too bad...it is suburbia, but there are enough African Americans here to not feel ostracized. Just stay west of I35. If you end up working in Richardson, though, that could be a rough commute.
Especially if she was commuting this last week.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:36 AM

62 posts, read 210,695 times
My family lives in Frisco and we love it....you will hear that it's not diverse, but disagree. There's a growing African American population and also many other ethnic groups. The schools are excellent and the area is safe, clean, growing, and excellent housing. There are many hospitals nearby and lots of activities for kids/families. I suggest you come down and explore the various areas you'll have a better feel for what the different areas are like.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM

869 posts, read 2,955,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse_101 View Post
My family lives in Frisco and we love it....you will hear that it's not diverse, but disagree. There's a growing African American population and also many other ethnic groups.
It is not diverse. Period. End of.

You guys that live up there can keep telling yourselves it is if it makes you feel all warm and cuddly inside, but you are only lying to yourselves.

I don't understand why people in areas that are not diverse keep insisting on proclaiming how diverse they are. It boggles the mind.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 PM

11 posts, read 22,304 times
Really?? @ Jeffarie well I do know... the demographics can speak for themselves to. But I think maybe the surroundings of neighbors and children at the schools "the feel around the community counts also. I will come down and check it out for myself, I just don't have much time. Hoping to land a job first with with a short commute.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:00 PM

869 posts, read 2,955,943 times
good faith...go check it out...if you like it, go....heck...I hope you love it and will be very happy there (if that's where you end up choosing it)

but I don't really consider a city that is 70-75% white to really be all that diverse...my definition might not match everyone else's...

Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
Have you tried Addison?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Have you tried Addison?
Artsyguy- Addison has crappy schools.

OP- Richardson or Central Plano sound like a good fit for your needs- close to potential jobs and with great schools for your kids. If you can find an apartment or home zoned to Richardson HS, your kids will enjoy grades K-12 in Exemplary-rated schools, which is the highest rating the state of Texas gives. Also both are very diverse- black, white, Hispanic, East Asian, Indian, African, etc- plus, there are lots of restaurants & stores reflecting the "melting pot" that those areas are. Solidly middle class, too- including Lower middle class incomes and upper middle class incomes. There are many hospital branches in Plano and several major Dallas hospitals- Presbyterian and Medical City- are in North Dallas about a 15-20 minute drive from Richardson.

Dallas90210- shame on you for steering this poor woman into areas well known for ONE thing- being black. You know darn well the schools in 90% of Lancaster, Desoto, and Cedar Hill are horrible- with very few exceptions at the elementary school level. Plus, it would take OP an hour or so to commute to Collin County from the southern suburbs. Really, I'm disappointed in you considering you're always the first one to promote how great CoCo is. Quite frankly, I'm disgusted right now.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 02-06-2011 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas