Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 PM

201 posts, read 829,625 times

Advertisements

drafting a budget for our potential move, and no I am not a penny away from not being able to afford it, I just like my life on an excel spreadsheet

what are average costs of:

babysitters, hourly?
nanny, full time, living outside the home?
cleaning lady, per visit?
gas bill, annual or monthly due to variance?
electric bills, annual or monthly due to variance?
pool maintenance, monthly?
yard maintenance, monthly?

assume a ~3,500 square foot house in north Dallas area with average size lot.

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,601,087 times
the ones I'm familiar with:

babysitters, hourly? unknown
nanny, full time, living outside the home? We just got quoted $16/hr from a temp nanny service.
cleaning lady, per visit? ~$150
gas bill, annual or monthly due to variance? See below
electric bills, annual or monthly due to variance? See below
pool maintenance, monthly? unknown
yard maintenance, monthly? $30 per weekly cut; $120 monthly, 7-8 months/year unless you put down winter rye grass, then it's all year.

Utility bills are a tough one, because prices will vary dramatically based on the age/efficiency of HVAC units, type of insulation, if your lot has trees, orientation of windows, type of windows, etc. Just to give you an example... the first month that we lived in our current home, which has good orientation (most windows face north-south and have two very mature live oaks shading the southern windows), we will had a nearly $600/month utility bill for a home that is shy of 2600 sq ft - and that wasn't a very hot month. Last summer - after insulating the attic properly, replacing a bulk of the old crappy windows and putting in a high efficiency HVAC system, we had a peak summer elec bill of $220. We also do not have a pool... but since you and I sound like we're both Excel freaks... lol... I just pulled up my utility spreadsheet for ya...

2010 monthly averages:
$65.63 for water
$52.99 for gas
$122.06 for electricity (note: we are in a contract at 11.9 cents/kwh, lower rates are now available - as low at 8 cents)

Our home is now more efficient than average, is smaller than you're looking at and does not have a pool. So factor those into your spreadsheet.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Old 02-01-2011, 02:39 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,638,503 times
The ones I am familiar with:

babysitters, hourly? about $8-10 per hour, more for additional kids
nanny, full time, living outside the home? my friends pay anywhere from $10-15 hour
cleaning lady, per visit? about $75-150
gas bill, annual or monthly due to variance?
electric bills, annual or monthly due to variance?
pool maintenance, monthly?
yard maintenance, monthly? $25-40/week - nothing from about Oct - February

Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,326,582 times
Babysitters: $10-15/hour. Lower end would be neighborhood teenagers; higher end is through an agency

Nanny- full-time means 35 hours a week here. Calculate time & a half for hours over 35. Also, 2 weeks paid vacation is normal here, as well as stipend towards health insurance and use of your car or mileage reimbursement for her car are "suggested" for better nannies (is, the kind who could be preschool teachers, not the kind who could also clean your home). $15-low $20's/hr is the going rate for a really great nanny.

You've already gotten a good lawn care quote. Pool is about $125/mo.

Gas & electric are largely dependent upon your usage and how efficient your home is. My mom has a radiant barrier roof in her attic and her highest bill last summer for a 1500sf home was $80. Most months are around $30. Conversely, an inefficient home with a bad addition or leaking windows or bad block positioning for sun exposure could cost $1,000 in the summer and $300-400 the other months. I would always recommend getting estimates from the sellers. Then you can figure out if you want to do any energy-efficiency upgrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas